PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on magazine subscriptions

cwilson62946
April 21st, 2008, 06:56 PM
New to Ubuntu (and linux) and have a couple of pages left on my intro to desktop book and just purchased a intro book to server. What are the general plus and minus to the many linux magazines?

Thanks,

Chris

Het Irv
April 21st, 2008, 07:10 PM
Typing to bump this, 'cuse I am intrested in this do.

Note: This thread should have been posted in the Community Cafe, Absolute Begginers is for problems dealing with your computer being broke of general knowlege questions dealing with the workins of the OS.

skymera
April 21st, 2008, 07:11 PM
Linux magazines?

I do believe when they talk about servers they refer to Redhat.

northern lights
April 21st, 2008, 07:12 PM
I dunno. I used to read "Linux magazine" (yup, that's the creative name) with interest.

Nowadays though, you've got the whole wide world wrapped up in one - the internet...

fatality_uk
April 21st, 2008, 07:27 PM
The main two in the UK are Linux format and Linux magazine. Linux format tends to have a lighter writing style and has a lot of article about lifestyle computing wheres Linux magazine tends to have articles which have 4 page perl scripts :D

I prefer Linux format.

There are also a whole HOST of Linux web sites with reviews and articles.

p_quarles
April 21st, 2008, 07:31 PM
Thread moved to the Community Cafe.

umattu
April 21st, 2008, 07:34 PM
I love Linux pro magazine, each month it comes with a different distro DVD that installable on all archetectures. The magazine does not focus on one distro but more on linux in general. The plus is that the magazine focuses on users from noobs to pros.

GREAT magazine, its rather pricey @ $99.95 but really worth it.

www.linuxpromagazine.com

editted to add:

this months dvd RULED, it is a live Gutsy disc with a centos, dreamlinux, kubuntu Hardy Alpha, Linux mint, and simplymepis virtual machines under Virtual Box. Truly AWESOME!!!!!

BigSilly
April 21st, 2008, 08:01 PM
There's no question - Linux Format is my absolute favourite. So much so I subscribed to it recently. The only downside is it can be a bit expensive for some at £6.49, but to me it's worth it. Tried others but they can sometimes go a bit over my head. At least with Linux Format it's fun and informative without being too technical.

Give it a go.

aysiu
April 21st, 2008, 08:05 PM
For a beginner or intermediate Linux user, I'd highly recommend Linux Format. I've been using Linux full-time for three years, and I still find the other Linux magazines way over my head.

Linux magazines in general tend to be pretty expensive, which is why I wouldn't buy a subscription (maybe purchase two or three issues), but Linux Format is pretty fun to flip through. It has reviews of new programs, interviews with important open source figures, GIMP tutorials, letters to the editor, and a DVD of what Linux distro has just come out.

SuperSon!c
April 21st, 2008, 09:23 PM
Nowadays though, you've got the whole wide world wrapped up in one - the internet...

yeah, but there's something with magazines and it being tangible that's irreplaceable.

helliewm
April 21st, 2008, 09:37 PM
Linux Format (Monthly) and Mirco Mart ( a UK weekly mag) but covers a lot of Linux. Both are excellent.

Helen