PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Killed by LAN

NikS
April 21st, 2008, 01:20 PM
Hi,

I had a dual boot for WinXP and Ubuntu Gusty.. I installed a LANcard hardware in order to connect to net..
Something happened and my Comp started taking almost 30mins to start or boot!!!!
Ubuntu showed messages like: "Reading Files required to boot"!!! For almost 15 mins!!!

But when i reinstalled Windows, it started working fine..

But Ubuntu, NOW DOES NOT EVEN BOOT PROPERLY FROM THE LIVE CD!!!

Then i upgraded my system from: P-III 450Mz, 256Mb RAM To P-4, 1.5 GZ, 256Mb RAM, Thinking May be thats wat is causing problem..

No LEAD!!!!
Ubuntu still Doesnt boot even from the live CD, Shows messages like some applet: Fast user switching is causing problem: Delete/Not..
Any answer i give, It Does NO PROCESSING FURTHER... IT TAKES NEARLY 3MINS TO SHOW A SELECTED ICON ON DESKTOP!!!!!!!
While it work VERY WELL with my old configuration PC!!!!!

I cant stay away from Ubuntu for Long N even internet...
PLZ HELP ME TO GET BACK TO IT!!!!!

cmnorton
April 21st, 2008, 02:02 PM
Hi,

I had a dual boot for WinXP and Ubuntu Gusty.. I installed a LANcard hardware in order to connect to net..
Something happened and my Comp started taking almost 30mins to start or boot!!!!
Ubuntu showed messages like: "Reading Files required to boot"!!! For almost 15 mins!!!

But when i reinstalled Windows, it started working fine..

But Ubuntu, NOW DOES NOT EVEN BOOT PROPERLY FROM THE LIVE CD!!!

Then i upgraded my system from: P-III 450Mz, 256Mb RAM To P-4, 1.5 GZ, 256Mb RAM, Thinking May be thats wat is causing problem..

No LEAD!!!!
Ubuntu still Doesnt boot even from the live CD, Shows messages like some applet: Fast user switching is causing problem: Delete/Not..
Any answer i give, It Does NO PROCESSING FURTHER... IT TAKES NEARLY 3MINS TO SHOW A SELECTED ICON ON DESKTOP!!!!!!!
While it work VERY WELL with my old configuration PC!!!!!

I cant stay away from Ubuntu for Long N even internet...
PLZ HELP ME TO GET BACK TO IT!!!!!

As to booting properly from a live CD, when you boot, some BIOSs allow to access a boot menu. If your does, select the CD drive as first in the boot order. Else enter your BIOS setup and select the boot order -- CD 1st -- there. As to dual-boot, search these forums. There are literally dozens of posts, including troubleshooting when stuff goes wrong.

NikS
April 21st, 2008, 08:04 PM
Problem is not that pal..

Thing is it Becomes Very Very slow almost Freezes after boot....!!

Prblem is not dual booting either, its Ubuntu,i was using dual boot without ANY problem before i pluged the LAN card!!!

erlyrisa
April 23rd, 2008, 12:36 PM
?
uhh

Ub1476
April 23rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
I think the best thing is to remove Ubuntu, download Hardy Heron (http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/804rc) tomorrow (or maybe on Friday cause the servers are gonna explode), then reinstall Ubuntu.

Seisen
April 23rd, 2008, 12:52 PM
You might want to try using Xubuntu it's lighter than Ubuntu and should run a lot better than on your system. Also try the alternate installer cd it is text based and is better for older computers.

billgoldberg
April 23rd, 2008, 01:21 PM
Yes, ubuntu is a bit to heavy for that system.

Doing a fresh xubuntu 8.04 install tomorrow will be the best thing to do.

If you think you are going have problem to boot the live cd, download the alternate iso.

Joeb454
April 23rd, 2008, 01:29 PM
It might be worth waiting until the weekend to download the Xubuntu alternate iso. The servers will be getting slaughtered tomorrow, so unless you want to try out torrents instead?

Cifra
April 23rd, 2008, 02:01 PM
Try Debian. You'll get the same thing, basically, but sometimes Debian tends to work when Ubuntu doesn't. And it's not that heavy.

sdowney717
April 23rd, 2008, 02:19 PM
live cd was always painfully slow for me.

If you want you can try wubi

http://wubi-installer.org/

It will install ubuntu 8.04 to an ntfs folder
And uses the windows boot loader.
I have it running on my daughters windows pc and it works just like the real thing

PhoenixP3K
April 23rd, 2008, 02:42 PM
It might be worth waiting until the weekend to download the Xubuntu alternate iso. The servers will be getting slaughtered tomorrow, so unless you want to try out torrents instead?

The BitTorrent downloads are a good solution too. Usually you'll get a pretty high speed and it will give a break on the servers.

T-Virus
April 23rd, 2008, 02:46 PM
I think the best thing is to remove Ubuntu, download Hardy Heron (http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/804rc) tomorrow (or maybe on Friday cause the servers are gonna explode), then reinstall Ubuntu.

Yes I believe that, I hope to give a little boost with BitTorrent.

Joeb454
April 23rd, 2008, 02:54 PM
If all goes according to plan - I'll be seeding the 32 bit & 64 bit from a spare PC...after I've installed Hardy on it that is

NikS
May 5th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Ok..

So I should wait for Hardy...
Ok...

I'l try that too!!!
N ya, Text CD should work, atlest it wont cause problems BEFORE the system is setup!! :)
I'l try that too...

Thanks everyone!!

billgoldberg
May 9th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I hope so for you.

skymera
May 9th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Well if it doesn't work.
Im sure there is a simple solution somewhere.

dark_harmonics
May 9th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Sometimes i wonder what i WOULDN'T do to get ubuntu on my computers :)

spiderbatdad
June 4th, 2008, 03:59 AM
I believe 384 ram is recommended minimum for a full 8.04 install.
It is unfortunate. Debian vanilla install might be a good idea.

Joeb454
June 4th, 2008, 04:00 AM
An Xubuntu install may also work quite well :)

SunnyRabbiera
June 4th, 2008, 04:06 AM
I dont like fedora that much, I rather use mandriva.

InfinityCircuit
June 4th, 2008, 04:26 AM
If you like Ubuntu, you can just:

1) install feisty
2) change your repositories to point to Gutsy
3) echo fast-user-switch-applet hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections
4) sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

buntunub
June 4th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Sorry people..
Now its seems to be time for Me to turn to Fedora!!!

Ubuntu not working on my PC, dont know y...
It just doesnt boot!!!!!
It started when i was using 7.10, after i installed my Lan card Hardware..
I thought it wil be cleared atleast with the new version.. but...

Rt nw, m using a P4, 1.5 Gz with 256 Mb RAM 30Gb HDD... I know its quite an old conf, but lemme tell u, i was using 7.10 on a P3-450Mz with 256Mb n 20Gb!!! So there shouldnt be any problem with the current conf!!!! Rt??
Older versions like 6.06 work Fine, pretty fine, STILL!!
Even Fedora 8 works fine!!

So its surely not the conf,
It seems to be some applet: "Quick user switching" (gave an error 1s after takin 35 mins to boot), but i cant disable it either! Or can we?? => Without Booting In???!!!

So, m left with no choice but turn to Fedora.....

Any other suggestions anybody has????

:(

Fedora!

:lolflag:

And he thinks that ancient rig will run Fedora..

NikS
June 6th, 2008, 12:49 PM

Ya, but it was the same even for 7.10!!!
But even older conf could run it!!!

Doesnt any1 seem to think its got something to do with the LAN card?
Cause IT was the event after which the problem began!!!

hyper_ch
June 6th, 2008, 12:50 PM
use fluxbuntu with 256mb ram

NikS
June 6th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Fedora!

And he thinks that ancient rig will run Fedora..

YES I DO!!
CAUSE IT CAN, N IT DOES!!!

I already have it installed, n Using it!!!
Mind it pal, its my teacher, my computer, m using it for last 8 years, n I wont tolerate any such offence for no reason!!

NikS
June 6th, 2008, 12:55 PM
use fluxbuntu with 256mb ram

Thanks..

but where do i find it?? n even Xubuntu, u dont get these on CDs, do u??
They need to be downloaded, rt?

hyper_ch
June 6th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks..

but where do i find it?? n even Xubuntu, u dont get these on CDs, do u??
They need to be downloaded, rt?

Dunno directly where I could get fluxbuntu but the first thing I'd do is ask Dr. Google... he generally has an answer.

Joeb454
June 6th, 2008, 12:59 PM
You have to download it and then burn it to a CD.

http://www.xubuntu.org
http://www.fluxbuntu.org

Muflon
June 6th, 2008, 01:02 PM
YES I DO!!
CAUSE IT CAN, N IT DOES!!!

I already have it installed, n Using it!!!
Mind it pal, its my teacher, my computer, m using it for last 8 years, n I wont tolerate any such offence for no reason!!

Are you trying to threaten someone?

Trail
June 6th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Please use English.

NikS
June 6th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Are you trying to threaten someone?

Look pal,
M NO ONE to threaten any1!!
All i meant is there is no reason for harsh words if one has no solution!!!

Anyways,
Thats all..
I dont want to get involved in any heated discussions!!
So If I should be sorry, I am!!

Joeb454
June 6th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Please use English.

You mean "use full words not "n" instead of "and"" because from what I can see, it is English.

And to the OP Please don't threaten people, we're trying to help; your comments could quite easily be (mis)interpreted as threatening

And finally to buntunub - there was no need for the Fedora comment

NikS
June 6th, 2008, 01:11 PM
You mean "use full words not "n" instead of "and"" because from what I can see, it is English.

And to the OP Please don't threaten people, we're trying to help; your comments could quite easily be (mis)interpreted as threatening

And finally to buntunub - there was no need for the Fedora comment

I understand!!

M sorry..

philinux
June 6th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Stick some more ram in the thing then no probs.

Joeb454
June 6th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I'm with that Philinux :) RAM is also pretty cheap nowadays :)

floyin
June 6th, 2008, 01:17 PM
It greatly depends on what kind of ram you need. my new computer can get 2gb ram for 60$ and my older (about 2002) dell can get 1gb for 80$
a board i have that takes DDR400 is over 100$ per gig.

if im wrong, let me know where i can get the cheap ram =D

Paqman
June 6th, 2008, 01:30 PM
You don't need to reinstall to get Xubuntu, just install the package xubuntu-desktop, log out > Options > Select session > XFCE.

Joeb454
June 6th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I've found installing 2 *buntu-desktop meta-packages clogs up all my menu entries, which is why I didn't advise doing it

Duck2006
June 6th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I've found installing 2 *buntu-desktop meta-packages clogs up all my menu entries, which is why I didn't advise doing it

+1 on that.

Paqman
June 7th, 2008, 08:16 AM

Sure. That's easily fixed though.

How to remove Gnome and go pure XFCE (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexfce)

In practice, Gnome and XFCE aren't too bad together. Gnome and KDE is probably another story, though.

NikS
June 30th, 2008, 03:55 AM
HA HA HA!!!

M Back on UBUNTU!!!!

The key was my RAM, Wasn't enough to run the Live CD well...
Thanks to 8.04, I used the Direct Install option, bypassing 'trying the OS', n here I am!!!
It installed fine, and running fine as well!!!!
Not THAT FAST but it will as soon as i upgrade my RAM!!!
:)

M SO HAPPY!!!!

Thanks All!!!!
Thanks for Helping me come back!!!!

NikS
June 30th, 2008, 04:01 AM
HA HA HA!!!
M Back on UBUNTU!!!!

Thanks to 8.04, I used the Direct Install option, bypassing 'trying the OS', n here I am!!!

M SO HAPPY!!!!

Thanks All!!!!

kuja
June 30th, 2008, 04:15 AM

I believe that 384MiB RAM is only the minimum to run the CD, less is required once installed. It says minimum for the alternate is 256MiB RAM. I find it strange that the numbers on ubuntu.com are so much higher than the ones listed on kubuntu.org, when actual memory usage is roughly equivalent.

NikS
June 30th, 2008, 04:20 AM
HA HA HA!!!

I AM Back on UBUNTU!!!!

I AM SO HAPPY!!!!

Thanks All!!!!

Inxsible
June 30th, 2008, 04:29 AM
if you find Ubuntu to be slow, you should try out Debian business iso install and then install Xfce4 over it. It tends to get you lot less bloat and runs much smoother than Xubuntu.

alternatively, you could also install the Ubuntu minimal and then install Xfce4.

You could even try out different light weight Window Managers and apps to make your system as light as possible and pretty fast. Have a look at my signature to get a list of lightweight apps and window managers

i currently run on a P3-1.13GHz, 256 MB RAM machine. Debian + Xfce4 and Debian + Fluxbox

NikS
June 30th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Thats great!!!

I rarely found people with such conf!!!
Especially, eople who have been on the forum for long have configurations I cant even imagine to use!!!!
:(

That'l be great to use some lightweight apps, but I have a limited download prepaid internet connection, n I have already downloaded 1200Mbs of 2024Mbs, in just 7 Days (I have to use them for 62 days!!!)
Just downloaded Xubuntu, installed updates for Ubuntu, but I dint know it doesnt contain any apps!! i should have downloaded business .iso I guess!!! :(

Anyways, I am going to have to wait till I complete this recharge, thats next 55 DAYS!!!!
Its gonna be hard!!!
:popcorn:

kuja
June 30th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Well, depending how lightweight the lightweight things you look at are, they really shouldn't be too bad, for example, fluxbox for me (with dependencies), is pulling in about 4MiB. (I find it strange that I don't already have it installed) At any rate, take a look at things and be choosy. Some of them are really lightweight download-wise, unlike the far larger DEs and such.