PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu FlashMob for Heron release? Sssh keep it quiet

fatality_uk
April 20th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Ok simple idea!!

Will have very little cost. Could have quite a nice impact, me thinks if we can "tip off" the media in advance and fill the story with an "And finally" twist...

The idea:

On the 3rd of May, or date to be confirmed, we get groups of say 10-20 people all armed with 50-100 CD's each of Ubuntu 8.04. Each CD will have a nice new shiny copy of Ubuntu 8.04 with the "official" CD artwork cover and insert!

If we did that for 10 locations, would be a cheap and easy way to get 20,000 CD's out to the public with a little bit of background about Ubuntu / Linux / fOSS!!

Anyone up for it?

cardinals_fan
April 20th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I'm not big on hype...

LeoSolaris
April 21st, 2008, 12:15 AM
Simply handing them out? I would suggest doing so on college campuses. College aged students tend to be the ideal end user for Linux as they are still willing to try new things, they tend to be poor, and they tend to need stable secure systems more so than most because campuses tend to be hit with a lot of bugs.

Just my two cents.
Leo

DoctorMO
April 21st, 2008, 01:07 AM
the best way to do that is a world wide protest / CD give out. get 10-20 people with placards is every city and that might get some media attention.