PDA

View Full Version : Need C++ compiler

nick22891
April 20th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Need a C++ compiler for my ubuntu, preferably a dev C++ kind of IDE but any compiler will do. ANyone know of any and how to get it?

Oldsoldier2003
April 20th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Need a C++ compiler for my ubuntu, preferably a dev C++ kind of IDE but any compiler will do. ANyone know of any and how to get it?

sudo apt-get install build-essential will install the compiler and support files. if you want an IDE there are many other opitions such as eclipse.

LaRoza
April 20th, 2008, 10:13 PM
See the sticky in the programming talk.

Joeb454
April 20th, 2008, 10:15 PM
If you want a compiler then Open up a terminal and type
man g++ that's the GNU C++ Compiler :)

If you want an IDE then look into Ecplise or something, personally I use Kate for my coding, it supports Syntax highlighting for all languages I code in :)

martrn
April 20th, 2008, 10:44 PM
If you need an IDE install then you can

sudo apt-get install anjuta
sudo apt-get install kdevelop

And they are the top IDE's if you are developing QT/GTK or X11 windows applications. Many people compile applications from the command line, if you do not need an IDE you can install g++ and build-essentials without an IDE. Some people even use a notrpad like kate to write widges and avoid IDE's alltogether but I personall find kevelop is good.

I haven't managed to get Glade/Anjuta to work with the GTK widgets yet. You would need to also install a few dependcies. IIf you know the answer to that please let me gnow. I use kdevelop / QT widges anyway.

Sinkingships7
April 21st, 2008, 01:27 AM
I prefer Geany. After you install build-essential, type:

sudo apt-get install geany
It's as easy as F8 to compile, F9 to link, and F5 to run.

jespdj
April 21st, 2008, 12:18 PM
If you want to develop software for the GNOME desktop, then install the package gnome-devel:

sudo apt-get install gnome-devel
This will get you a set of tools, including the Anjuta IDE, and developer documentation.

+1 for Geany, it's a really nice light weight editor / IDE.