PDA

View Full Version : Channel 4's absymal Linux support (for people in the UK)....

Mazza558
April 20th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Channel 4 currently has a DRM system in place which means you can't watch recently shown programmes in the same way you can for the BBC. It doesn't matter where you live, clicking "get 40D" in this link will tell you that your OS isn't supported.

http://www.channel4.com/4od/get4od/index.jsp (http://www.channel4.com/4od)

The reason behind this is:

When will 4oD be available to users on MAC OS, Linux or other Operating platforms?
Unfortunately we cannot say when the 4oD service will be available to users of other platforms, including Mac OS and Linux.
The problem is, our content providers (e.g. the production companies who make our shows), insist on using a DRM licensing system. The DRM (Digital Rights Management) system basically protects the video content from duplication and broadcast outside the UK & ROI. Currently they insist on using Microsoft's DRM, and because of this we can only support Microsoft operating systems. Linux currently has no such DRM system available and so our content providers will not allow us to support the Linux operating system. Macintosh do have a solution, however the closed DRM system used by Apple is not currently available for licence by third parties and there is no other Mac-compatible DRM solution which meets the protection requirements of our content owners. Unfortunately, we are therefore unable to offer 4oD and other video content to Mac users at this stage.

We are sorry to disappoint on this occasion and assure you that if changes throughout the industry happen, as we would like, we will ensure the support of other operating systems.

...right, so, are they trying to say that it won't work because they can't get the licenses sorted out? Well, how did the BBC get their DRM system working then? I think C4 are just lazy.

Joeb454
April 20th, 2008, 09:51 PM
It's fine, they'll lose out on viewers...It's a shame, because C4 show some good stuff.

I just got a Freeview box with recording capabilities, so I just record stuff if I want to watch it. I might end up checking the HDD in that box, to see what format it saves the video in ;)

FuturePilot
April 20th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Their loss....

hessiess
April 20th, 2008, 10:30 PM
DRM is pointless anyway, you can download tv programs from outher places.

solitaire
April 20th, 2008, 10:35 PM
4OD is a download only product (like Sky's product)

The BBC is a Download AND a Website based viewing product. (You can't D/LVia iPlayer when using the site running Linux).

So ALL the channels are the same it's just that the BBC has streaming content as well as D/L content

All D/L's are DRM protected

CaptainCabinet
April 20th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Their loss....

Exactly. They'll regret it when Linux takes over the world and Microsoft fall (with a mighty crash preferably). :)

bobbocanfly
April 20th, 2008, 10:44 PM
It is completely their loss. People that cant get it legally will just download it illegally, in a way that isnt ad supported and probably removes all channel 4 branding from it. Seriously aswell as probably costing them a lot for licensing etc. they are losing out on people actually watching the shows. Crazy.

finferflu
April 20th, 2008, 10:49 PM
This is when I fully support piracy. Not that I care about Channel 4 anyway.

Damn Microsoft.

Paqman
April 20th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Well, how did the BBC get their DRM system working then? I think C4 are just lazy.

They haven't. The iPlayer download service is only available for Windows for the exact same reasons (http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/download_programmes/download_prog).

speedwell68
April 20th, 2008, 10:55 PM
User Agent Switcher cons the 4oD website into allowing the download. Wine will run the 4od installer but it then tries to install MS .NET Framework and that is having none of it.

fatality_uk
April 20th, 2008, 11:03 PM
This isn't about Channel 4 being lazy, arsy or in Microsoft's pocket!!

My understanding C4 wanted to run their own shows without DRM but the reason they have to have a DRM wrapper is that the 3rd party production companies like overlord and sunset pro have re-distribution deals in many other countries and they didn't wasn't Johnny Foreigner to be able to download for free something they might be able to sell in Germany on Cable.

So they threatened to pull any content unless they had DRM.

However, I do get a bit annoyed because C4 does get a good wodge of cash from the UK license fee so they do owe us something back F.O.C

Mazza558
April 20th, 2008, 11:03 PM
User Agent Switcher cons the 4oD website into allowing the download. Wine will run the 4od installer but it then tries to install MS .NET Framework and that is having none of it.

I tried that, but it told me I didn't have media player 10 or greater. Pff.

SammyBoy247
April 30th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I think we should cut C4 a little slack here after all they create some great TV and this brave new world of On Demand is still in it's early days.

The need for any commercial company to use DRM when distributing it's product is understandable on many levels and microsoft's platform is still an industry leader.

Don't get me wrong I am just as upset as everyone else here but as lots of people have pointed out we all know how to watch our favourite progs when ever we want.

PetePete
April 30th, 2008, 09:09 PM
most people dont want to download tv shows to watch them, which is why the bbc iplayer is so widely used, you can stream content with fairly decent full screen quality.

C4 should write a flash based system similar to BBCs iplayer, then it allows compatibility with all devices.

although isn't bbc, itv and c4 working together for an integrated joint system ?
dont suppose anyone knows anything about this proposed system? surely it'd have a flash streaming option based off of bbcs code.

PetePete
April 30th, 2008, 09:10 PM
just found this article relating to the joint venture
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7114694.stm

Programming from all three broadcasters will be available for free download, streaming, rental and purchase via the internet, with expansion on to other platforms planned.

hopefuly streaming means flash.

jonny
May 1st, 2008, 01:08 AM
Just do what I do - use MythTV on top of Ubuntu and stream it around the house. Even if you forget to record a show, most are repeated in the middle of the night and the quality of Freeview broadcasts is massively higher than any streaming service, the BBC's iPlayer included.

As a bonus, you can keep your recordings for as long as you like and burn them to DVD for your mates. Perfect.

AndersonCouncil
May 17th, 2008, 03:48 PM
You can now watch 7 days of catch-up from Channel 4's website via streaming - however it requires you have Windows Media Player 11 installed. This is just as useless as WMP11 requires SP2 to be installed making it nearly impossible to use with Wine. Why can't they just use a flash-based system like the BBC? If that satisfies the production companies working for the BBC, then what's stopping CH4 using this technology?!