PDA

View Full Version : Just placed a pre-order on UbuntuHardyHeron 8.04 LTS on shipit

shuttleworthwannabe
April 20th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Well I just did this. I can;t wait. Will download first the official release then have a glossy CD to share with friends.

Why have they cut down on the number of discs we could order to just 1; previously (dapper) I order 5 of each (K,X,U). now not even these options.
anyway, I am very pleased with Hardy and loving every bit of it. Well done devs!

S

Tomosaur
April 20th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Well I just did this. I can;t wait. Will download first the official release then have a glossy CD to share with friends.

Why have they cut down on the number of discs we could order to just 1; previously (dapper) I order 5 of each (K,X,U). now not even these options.
anyway, I am very pleased with Hardy and loving every bit of it. Well done devs!

S

It probably costs quite a lot to ship all these CDs, and I think they were kind of surprised at the amount if interest.

I hope that everyone who is able to downloads rather than requests the CDs, preferably via bittorrent. You should only really be getting ShipIt CDs if, like shuttleworthwannabe, you plan to give them out :)

fatality_uk
April 20th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I agree Tomosaur.

Unless you have a 56k connection there's no need to grab a CD. It's not like you will get a bonus feature track. :D Lets try and put the money and effort into developing Ubuntu, not shipping CD's.

Help make Ubuntu better by buying CD labels downloading the official media and pass em out that way ;)

smartboyathome
April 20th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I agree Tomosaur.

Unless you have a 56k connection there's no need to grab a CD. It's not like you will get a bonus feature track. :D Lets try and put the money and effort into developing Ubuntu, not shipping CD's.

Help make Ubuntu better by buying CD labels downloading the official media and pass em out that way ;)

Its easier to get people to try them if they are "official", so to speak, at least around here. I ordered one just to give people I meet at the local college or to put in a geocache, but there is a Linuxfest coming up in less than a week, so I can just get a couple more there. :D

fatality_uk
April 20th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Its easier to get people to try them if they are "official", so to speak, at least around here. I ordered one just to give people I meet at the local college or to put in a geocache, but there is a Linuxfest coming up in less than a week, so I can just get a couple more there. :D

Yeah I know what you mean, but I label all my discs using the labels and give them in a CD with Ubuntu media covers. Look the part and after the install, most people never need to use them again ;)

However, thinking about it, if you were to get the person to copy and then pass on that original, hmm Yeah I see that being beneficial.

Joeb454
April 20th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I actually have a small collection of the Ubuntu "official" CD's :D

smartboyathome
April 20th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Yeah I know what you mean, but I label all my discs using the labels and give them in a CD with Ubuntu media covers. Look the part and after the install, most people never need to use them again ;)

However, thinking about it, if you were to get the person to copy and then pass on that original, hmm Yeah I see that being beneficial.

Which is what I try to do, though some wander away sometimes, probably them giving it to someone else. :)