PDA

View Full Version : Firefly?

chrispche
April 20th, 2008, 05:06 PM
After being highly recommended to me? I have obtained the entire first season of Firefly. I have watched Serenity and was not sure what the back story was to this film so although I enjoyed Serenity I was not to sure what was going on.

I'm told watching the first season (and only one by the looks of it) will help me watch and enjoy Serenity the film even better.

My question is whats this whole franchise about, is there aliens, is there space wars? Whats the gist of it without giving away the plot.

Cheers.

Whiffle
April 20th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Its sort of a western set in the future, where we have all this fancy technology that mostly works, but we still have the same problems as humans (social problems).

Rinzwind
April 20th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Humanity colonized (part of) the universe and we now have several planets inhabited. Some are rich planets and some are poor. Leading to jealousy and war and so on. There's a group of central planets that formed an alliance (called Alliance) trying to conform every planet to their ideas and rulings.

Firefly is the name of the ship a crew of renegades that are in trying to escape from and fight against this alliance.

Basically it's sort of a pirates/western movie/series in space.

notwen
April 20th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Firefly is friggin sweet. I really can't believe FOX cut it and w/ the disputes between Joss Whedon and FOX it's very unlikely we'll see anything new from the Firefly/Serenity universe. =[

CarpKing
April 20th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Firefly is an excellent series. If you've seen Serenity, though, you already know more about the workings of the universe than you'll find out in Firefly.

klange
April 20th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Firefly is the name of the ship a crew of renegades that are in trying to escape from and fight against this alliance.
The name of the ship is "Serenity", it is a "Firefly-class" ship.

It was pretty good, the networks always cancel good shows. FOX and NBC Universal are the two I hate the most...

Bloch
April 20th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I got the boxed set for Christmas. I am a sci-fi fan, but usually of fiction.

It's space-western - it reminds me of some of the novels of Heinlein. There are new 'frontier' planets with rough-and-ready settlers, there are robbers, criminals, cattle rustlers, whorehouses, drinkers and gunslingers. There's not much emphasis on high-technology in the series - and it's all the better for it.

The captain of Serenity is a sort of lone-rider who follows his own rules and ethics. He is always willing to evade the Alliance rules, taxes, and inspectors. The general idea is that the Alliance is not completely evil, but is a monstrous uncaring government, which does not hesitate to resort to unethical experiments or unreasonable rules.

The screenwqriter is Joss Wheldon, the same as Buffy. Anyone would like this series - strong characters, always interesting plots. Sci-fi fans might only complain there is too little sci-fi and too much Western - the whole thing could be transposed to the wild west with very few changes.