PDA

View Full Version : making Ubuntu more like Google

Dmole
April 20th, 2008, 04:30 PM
The only non open source corporations I respect as much as Ubuntu are MAC and Google, MAC because it leads the way in UI dev and Google because It develops the best networked OS to date. In answer to the MAC UI Ubuntu has compiz! In answer to Google's hive computing Ubuntu has nothing, BUT there appistry is a start. If you are interested post here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=760567

cardinals_fan
April 20th, 2008, 06:29 PM
MAC because it leads the way in UI dev
Leading the way over a cliff, perhaps...

Mazza558
April 20th, 2008, 06:32 PM
The only non open source corporations I respect as much as Ubuntu are MAC and Google, MAC because it leads the way in UI dev and Google because It develops the best networked OS to date. In answer to the MAC UI Ubuntu has compiz! In answer to Google's hive computing Ubuntu has nothing, BUT there appistry is a start. If you are interested post here:

You mean Apple? Mac isn't a company.

Blue Heron
April 20th, 2008, 06:40 PM

Actually I thought what will be when google come up with their own Linux Distro.

Dmole
April 21st, 2008, 01:26 AM
Leading the way over a cliff, perhaps...

assuming you do not enjoy cliff diving,
Who do you think dose a better job? I'm interested.
have you ever used an I phone?
Apple products are more user friendly than any competitor and still retain a *nix CLI for the nerds. I think the Apple market share speaks for them.

Dmole
April 21st, 2008, 01:30 AM
Actually I thought what will be when google come up with their own Linux Distro.

Yah I was hoping for that but It's really taking a long time. It's not like they have to make it they are already using it.

elmer_42
April 21st, 2008, 01:33 AM
Apple products are more user friendly than any competitor and still retain a *nix CLI for the nerds. I think the Apple market share speaks for them.
It's not very customizable, just so you know. That is why I don't like their UI.

cardinals_fan
April 21st, 2008, 02:00 AM
'User friendly' is subjective. I have found OS X harder to use than any other OS. The dock and weird-bar-on-the-top annoyed me - and I couldn't get rid of them! Apple took all the choices out of their UI. They have a great base (Darwin) but the UI is awful.

Who does it better? Any of the *boxes, Xfce, or even GNOME/KDE.

Ioky
April 21st, 2008, 04:05 AM
google do have their own OS, although it is base on Ubuntu, it is call the goobuntu. or something like that, it is ok Wiki,

SunnyRabbiera
April 21st, 2008, 04:10 AM
what make a search engine?
email client?
I guess it would be cool if ubuntu had its own search engine and mail client, but it kind of looks silly.

cardinals_fan
April 21st, 2008, 04:13 AM
google do have their own OS, although it is base on Ubuntu, it is call the goobuntu. or something like that, it is ok Wiki,
No, they don't. gOS has tried to build off the image of a Google OS, but it is not sanctioned by Google and technically stands for Good OS.

Paqman
April 21st, 2008, 05:05 AM
No, they don't.

Actually, they do (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goobuntu). It's used in-house.

cardinals_fan
April 21st, 2008, 05:21 AM
Actually, they do (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goobuntu). It's used in-house.
Ah, now I understand what you mean. However, as Mark Shuttleworth stated on his blog:

Google uses lots of Linux internally, I imagine they also have their own versions of Red Hat, SUSE, Debian, perhaps even Gentoo and of course Ubuntu. So don’t read too much into their use of Ubuntu - it’s just part of the picture, and nothing to get overly excited about. The “goobuntu” you may have heard of is just a modified version of Ubuntu. Technically, there’s likely to be a “goobian” and a “goohat” too :-). The good news is that the guys there have been good about sending us patches, and we do our best to integrate them into mainstream Ubuntu and push them on to Debian and upstream.
The point is that there is no single 'Google OS' at this time.

Paqman
April 21st, 2008, 06:31 AM
The point is that there is no single 'Google OS' at this time.

Not that you can download, no.

Personally, i'd love them to take a swing at the OS market. Google is probably the one name that could give Linux the boost it needs to really take a real bite out of Windows. I don't think getting a Google OS & online aps suite onto 5-10% of desktops would be unrealistic for them.