PDA

View Full Version : "The Ubuntu Challenge"

Riffer
April 20th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Well its almost been a year for me since I first installed Ubuntu. And its been a momentous year for both Ubuntu (linux) and myself. And with Hardy promising to be a strong move forward I've decided to do something.

A year ago while embroiled in the eternal Mac vs Windows debate I read an article tried out 3 OS's for 30 days and then wrote about them. One of them was Fiesty and his article made me decide to take the 30 day challenge, well that 30 days ended up with 330 some odd days and counting.

So in that spirit I will in the month on May be issuing my own challenge to friends and co-workers. I will offer my services to any who decides to try Ubuntu for 30 days. I will help them find out if their hardware is compatible, help them run a liveCD as well as install it. I will help as best I can with any difficulties they may have.

I invite people of this forum to follow suit and make May a chance to get out the message and convert a few people to Linux and Ubuntu. Lets help people take the "Ubuntu Challenge", try it for 30 days.

Vadi
April 20th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Good luck!

I already challenge some of my technically-inclined but still on windows friends with "You aren't using a *real* OS!". Sometimes it works!

Riffer
April 20th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Yeah a bit pompous of me I guess. We all try and get people to try Linux and Ubuntu in our own way. I just figured that I'd give it a real concerted effort during May.

Frankly I don't think I will have any takers considering who I work with. Teachers, a very conservative lot. Who the idea of change is a hard concept for them. I'll probably get the usual "get a Mac". type answers.

jrebernik
April 20th, 2008, 09:12 AM
one of my friends (the most technically inclined one) has been the one that has had to hear me rant about how much i love ubuntu after completely making the switch about a month ago. now hes actually asking me questions himself and wanting to test the waters. ive realized when its comes to operating systems people arent always ready to make the switch, which is IMO what ubuntu is about. choice. the people who are ready though will usually come to you. heh kinda like the matrix......

davidgutu
April 20th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I've tried that too and was met with an entire team of guyz all saying, "NO!"

Good luck

quinnten83
April 20th, 2008, 12:29 PM
i say go for it, in the Netherlands they have a saying:
If you never shoot, you'll always miss the mark!.
you just might convert someone who might have a great positive influence in our community.

SuperSon!c
April 20th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Good luck!

I already challenge some of my technically-inclined but still on windows friends with "You aren't using a *real* OS!". Sometimes it works!

i'm pretty sure that sort of attitude doesn't make ubuntu users look very good. that sounds snobbish.

Vadi
April 20th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Keeping in mind that I restricted it to "technically inclined", that's okay because it's a common joke.

Of course I don't tell this so to someone who isn't technically inclined - there are other ways to woo them, like "x works better in ubuntu" if the said x isn't working in windows well or "lookit this video!" (compiz) ;)

Zeotronic
April 20th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I've challenged friends and family to try Ubuntu, and the only ones who I have gotten to, were before I was trying to make people try it, and they are now disgusted by Windows.

sanderella
April 20th, 2008, 04:26 PM
i say go for it, in the Netherlands they have a saying:
If you never shoot, you'll always miss the mark!.
you just might convert someone who might have a great positive influence in our community.

I think they have another saying in the Netherlands - forlorn hoop.

Or is that too pessimistic?

:lolflag:

Dmole
April 20th, 2008, 04:43 PM
"lookit this video! (compiz)" works really well for me, It's like offering to convert your friends PC into a functionally MAC/PC hybrid for free. the only drawback is Open Office~