PDA

View Full Version : Orphaned projects

visionaire
April 19th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Hi, anyone know of a page with links to orphaned or abandoned proyects that i can look around to practice some limux programming?

i'm coming from financial windows programming but i want some fresh air for a hobbie

Kind Regards, Diego

CptPicard
April 19th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Why abandoned? It's much nicer to code for something that is active and where advancement is not only up to you...

visionaire
April 19th, 2008, 09:20 PM
well, i forget to tell that i preffer some python + QT or kde app, since i use kubuntu and like KDE

visionaire
April 19th, 2008, 09:23 PM
because, i don't have much experience in linux programming, so i suppose i couldn't be as fast as the other programmers at first

i want something where i can manage my own time and the process to learn

CptPicard
April 19th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Just make your own "fork" of the project for your own use, then. If you come up with something useful to contribute back, the rest of the folks will be glad to have if it's good enough... if it's not, you at least have people to give you a learning experience as they know the project...

visionaire
April 19th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Just make your own "fork" of the project for your own use, then. If you come up with something useful to contribute back, the rest of the folks will be glad to have if it's good enough... if it's not, you at least have people to give you a learning experience as they know the project...

ok, you're right, where i can find some list of this kind then, sourceforge?

LaRoza
April 19th, 2008, 09:34 PM
ok, you're right, where i can find some list of this kind then, sourceforge?

You could browse sourceforge and freshmeat for projects with no activity.

pmasiar
April 19th, 2008, 10:26 PM
http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/orphaned

But take into consideration that most are orphaned for a valid reason: better replacement exist. Of course not all: do your own research.

Your time might be better invested into some living active project. Most project are interested in recruiting new developers, and everyone expect work at own pace.

Maybe what you need more is solving come training tasks, like PythonChallenge, before starting on a project, even abandoned.