PDA

View Full Version : mankind achieves utopia

Sanoski
April 19th, 2008, 03:23 PM
A detour beckons. Take an excursion from the mundane and think creatively for a moment. Lets envision a different world. To make it interesting, we'll say in this world there is no death. Everyone lives forever. Ignore obvious problems, like population, etc. This is just for fun.

At some point in the future, mankind achieves utopia. No evil, no death, everyones happy. Everyone goes on learning for all eternity, and you never forget anything unless you want to. There is no money. All our needs are taken care of by an anonymous magic fairy. We have a nice house, full of food, and we're never sick. Thanks to the anonymous fairy; we just go on about our daily lives with no worries.

Since there is no need for money, everyone just pursues the things they've always wanted to. Try to understand the implications here. If all people were only doing what they enjoyed, and money wasn't an issue, then all jobs would be done the best they could, because all the people doing them would want to do them. Not simply because they were forced into it for the money.

Granted, it's a rather silly sounding fantasy, but here's a question. What do you think such a dramatic change in humanity would cause in the technology would? Where would you see things go from there?Remember, there's no such thing as licensing anymore. As a side note: If you woke up tomorrow and this was your reality, what would you do next?

The reason I ask is because I'm writing a theoretical report on dramatic shifts in human culture, and I need some outside perspective.

kebes
April 19th, 2008, 04:04 PM
This idea of "post-scarcity economics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_scarcity)" was explored in Cory Doctorow's book "Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom (http://craphound.com/down/)". It's a free download, so you should consider reading that novel.

The basic idea in that book (which I agree with) is that, as you mentioned, art, science, and technology would be advanced by those who really care about it. Rather than money, reputation would become the most valuable thing. So people would work to create things they care about, and to impress other people.

P.S.: This thread should be moved to a more appropriate sub-forum (Cafe?).

Sanoski
April 19th, 2008, 04:09 PM
A detour beckons. Take an excursion from the mundane and think creatively for a moment. Lets envision a different world. To make it interesting, we'll say in this world there is no death. Everyone lives forever. Ignore obvious problems, like population, etc. This is just for fun.

At some point in the future, mankind achieves utopia. No evil, no death, everyones happy. Everyone goes on learning for all eternity, and you never forget anything unless you want to. There is no money. All our needs are taken care of by an anonymous magic fairy. We have a nice house, full of food, and we're never sick. Thanks to the anonymous fairy; we just go on about our daily lives with no worries.

Since there is no need for money, everyone just pursues the things they've always wanted to. Try to understand the implications here. If all people were only doing what they enjoyed, and money wasn't an issue, then all jobs would be done the best they could, because all the people doing them would want to do them. Not simply because they were forced into it for the money.

Granted, it's a rather silly sounding fantasy, but here's a question. What do you think such a dramatic change in humanity would cause in the technology would? Where would you see things go from there?Remember, there's no such thing as licensing anymore. As a side note: If you woke up tomorrow and this was your reality, what would you do next?

The reason I ask is because I'm writing a theoretical report on dramatic shifts in human culture, and I need some outside perspective.

red_Marvin
April 19th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Sorry for being somewhat pessimistic, but I think that generally, humans are quite competitive, as an example I've heard of a paper that concluded that peoples' happiness was linked to how much they earned compared to others in their social group.

Personally I'm not very interested in monetary wellbeing though and I might like it.
If it were to happen tomorrow I'd probably continue to study (I'm doing my second year of Electronics Engineering), however I might do it in a lazier pace and do more "building crazy stuff" than studying theory.

barbedsaber
April 19th, 2008, 05:34 PM
cough*communism*cough

original_jamingrit
April 19th, 2008, 05:49 PM
At first I thought that said: cough*consumerism*cough

OP: I like the little story, but it's basically just another "if hypothetical-but-completely-unrealistic situation A happened, what situation B would happen next?" Romance and Logic don't usually mix that well together. Logic is the means to reach your romance, not the other way around.

In your hypothetical situation, anything can happen. Maybe we would just all turn into Eloi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Machine)-like creatures. The pursuit of knowledge can be a very strong drive, but is that alone enough for everyone?