PDA

View Full Version : Gaim 2.0 - Rocks

Kimm
October 14th, 2005, 05:08 PM
I just downloaded and installed Gaim 2.0 from cvs. Even though its still in developement its a great program. The new sound theme is not as "high-pitched" as the old one, and works realy well with the ubuntu system sounds.

Even though the GUI isnt all that different there are some things that have changed. The conversation window has changed and the... "status manager" or whatever you like to call it, is rather different.

The conversation window has smooth scrolling when you resieve a new message, not an important one, but it looks and feels good.

I noticed a small change is transfer speed, its not big, but its noticable, in the old versions I had an average speed of around 4 kb/s it not averages around 10 kb/s, as I said, still not fast, but its better.

http://i.domaindlx.com/MrKimm/Screenshot.png

Be sure to check it out! ^^

magomago
October 14th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Does it have better msn support? To me the killer deal would be atleast supporting emoticons. While i'm not expecting winks to get supported...I would hope I could atleast "nudge" someone and use custom winks~ that would be the ultimate goal

mstlyevil
October 14th, 2005, 07:27 PM
I hear that when it is released it may have web cam support for yahoo. Have you heard anything of that nature?

UbuWu
October 14th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Gaim 2.0 is going to be great! they benefitted a lot from the google summer of code. These are the highlights from their summer of code page:

* Rendezvous Plugin will be in the next release of Gaim.
UPnP NAT Traversal This should greatly improve file transfer success rates. Will be in the next release of Gaim.
* Gadu-Gadu Support will be in the next release of Gaim.
* SIP/SIMPLE We now have a working protocol plugin for doing IM over a SIP connection, compatable with kphone, iptel.org and sipgate.de. Will be in the next release of Gaim.
* ICQ File Transfer will be in the next release of Gaim. Some of his changes also made it into earlier releases of Gaim.
* Music Messaging Music Messaging is a Gaim plugin that allows collaborative musical score editing. Will be in the next release of Gaim.
* Doodle a "whiteboard" system for Gaim will be in the next release of Gaim.

See http://gaim.sourceforge.net/summerofcode/

And on the news page:

Gaim-vv

On a related note, the gaim-vv project—which aimed to offer a framework for voice and video support in Gaim—is being merged back into Gaim proper for hopeful incorporation into Gaim 2.0.0. This will be used to support Google Talk's voice as well as MSN and Yahoo! webcams.

Kimm
October 15th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Havnt tried anything regarding to voice and webcam yet, but I dont think its implemented yet though, as far as I understand development of gaim 2.0 will take about two more mounths, one for more feature adding and one with plain tweeking.

Lovechild
October 15th, 2005, 02:52 AM
I still like Gossip better.

mayco
October 15th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Could you take a few screenshots of it showing the new features (custom smileys, status manager?)? That would be great!

BWF89
October 15th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Can't wait until 2.0 stable comes out. Mabye I'll finially be able to transfer files through AIM.

TravisNewman
October 16th, 2005, 03:47 AM
gah, I can't get it compiled. I get an error when it's trying to compile the docklet, whatever that is ;)

shanghaipi
October 20th, 2005, 11:45 PM
File transfers in aim will solve one of the two problems i have left with linux....

dabear
October 20th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Didn't manage to compile the source, did you make a deb with checkinstall or similar? If so, could you please post it here?

raublekick
October 21st, 2005, 01:45 AM
File transfers in aim will solve one of the two problems i have left with linux....

ditto... just curious, what's the other?

johannes
October 21st, 2005, 03:34 AM
Nice features indeed. I installed it using checkinstall. You can get the resulting package here: http://hem.bredband.net/b539954/gaim_2.0.0cvs-1_i386.deb

I don't know if it works though because I'm quite a newbie making packages.

Also, if someone finds it working, please host the file on some other server. I don't know how much bandwidth this one has.

Ride Jib
October 30th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Any word when 2.0 final release is due out? I'm very much anticipating this...

GazaM
October 30th, 2005, 09:22 PM
johannes, you're deb package worked for me, although it seems you compiled it without ssl support which msn and google talk need to connect. I dont have a server to host it for you, but thanks. I like the new jabber stuff in the new version, it finally supports avatars and JUD searching.

groovywombat
November 10th, 2005, 02:49 AM
your package seems to work fine for me so i hosted it for you
http://www.cdsupreme.com/gaim2/gaim_2.0.0cvs-1_i386.deb

TecnoVM64
November 10th, 2005, 03:29 AM
Well, I seriously like GAIM's interface but it misses some features that I would like to have: Custom Emoticons (Sometimes it's annoying, but it's cool to play sometimes), Own screen image and Nudges (Very useful sometimes.), also dunno if it's only for me, but It likes to disconnect from msn everyday (but gtalk and aim doesn't), and I know it isn't my connection.