PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on Kubuntu-KDE4 8.04 RC

Odd-rationale
April 19th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Well, I downloaded the Kubuntu-KDE4 8.04 RC today. Here's my thoughts about it.

First of all, the Kubuntu team certainly did a spectacular job! Five stars to them!
:KS:KS:KS:KS:KS

It is a great release, like the others have been. I really like the Oxygen icons and especially the new cursor. Dolphin is definitely an improvement to the D3lphin used in Kubuntu 7.10.

KDE4 is quite stable - it is simply incomplete... For this reason, many KDE3 components have been used to fill in the gaps. Most notably are Adept (KDE4 package manager has not been developed for Kubuntu yet. Perhaps Shaman?) and Kontact. Konsole/KDE3 is included along with the KDE4 Konsole. There is a separate ~/.kde and ~/.kde4 directory KDE3 and KDE4 apps respectively, which is kind of nice. The KDE3 apps intergrate in KDE4 quite smoothly. One can notice a slight difference in the widget styles, but it does not bother much at all.

Amarok is not included by default. Instead, JuK is used. Possibly, because Juk is KDE4 while Amarok is not. But with all the KDE3 apps already included, it seems to make more sense to choose Amarok. Another thing that I missed is kde-guidance-powermanager. Since I'm using a laptop, I really appreciate having a power manager. This really should have been included by default as there is not any KDE4 replacement to my knowledge.

As for the things that are not working, the kickoff application menu is not updating when I install new applications. Maybe I just need to logoff, idk but I'll try that when I'm finish with this post. :) There is also a problem when I open a text file with Kate from Dolphin. I get an error message saying

KDEInit could not launch '/usr/lib/kde4/bin/kate'.
but I usually use nano anyways...

Overall, I think it is a great release. As a KDE user, I'll probably just stick through the little quirks here and there until KDE4 gets more complete. However, I'll probably recommend Ubuntu (GNOME) to my friends for the Hardy season!

Again, excellent job, Kubuntu team!

Feel free to post your thoughts here as welll...

SoftVision
April 19th, 2008, 05:04 AM
To fix the kickoff application menu update, run 'kbuildsycoca4' in a terminal and then see. If that doesn't work then log out and log back in and it should be fine.

madjr
April 19th, 2008, 07:27 PM
you should really get this over to the Kubuntu development forum and get their attention to fix those little quirks.

they still got a week to polish it and not many have really tested this release.

:)

i will be downloading the metapackage ;D

how goes the kubuntu live-CD for you ? anything new ?

Odd-rationale
April 20th, 2008, 11:00 PM
you should really get this over to the Kubuntu development forum and get their attention to fix those little quirks.

they still got a week to polish it and not many have really tested this release.

:)

i will be downloading the metapackage ;D

how goes the kubuntu live-CD for you ? anything new ?
I doubt they would fix much of these since we are already in RC stage...

Also, I usually use the alternative cd instead of the live. Seems to go smoother that way.

articpenguin
April 21st, 2008, 12:18 AM
I like how kde4 looks. But its to buggy for me at the moment. I plan to go back to kde 4 when 4.1 is released.

SuperSon!c
April 21st, 2008, 01:05 AM
i couldn't stand the fact that you couldn't move widgets on the menu bar after adding them. other than that, it's really nice.