PDA

View Full Version : Girls on Ubuntu?

tigerplug
April 19th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Now I don't mean for this to sound sexist in anyway... but I'm just curious to be honest are there any girls here running Ubuntu?

steveneddy
April 19th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Hasn't this been covered already?

Sunflower1970
April 19th, 2008, 01:56 AM
Hasn't this been covered already?

Yeah, it has..

But what the hey. I'm female. :) Run both Ubuntu and Arch mainly.

Dr Small
April 19th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Now I don't mean for this to sound sexist in anyway... but I'm just curious to be honest are there any girls here running Ubuntu?

.... and this came from Tigeplug?? O.o

LaRoza
April 19th, 2008, 01:59 AM

There still hasn't been a compiler that could compile Linux for the human brain (male or female) so all the girls here (and all the guys) run the same biological software they were born with.

enchantedsky
April 19th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Sorry, but you should say "women on Ubuntu" because many females consider it sexist to refer to them as "girls" if they are 20+ in age. (unless you are intentionally referring to teenagers or preteens using Ubuntu --- in that case, I'm sure many are using Edubuntu) I'm sure many women use Ubuntu and Linux in general.

Look at the credits for Firefox, many women were involved in its development. Many leading tech websites have women as their main writers, such as Ars Technica, Lifehacker (e.g. Gina Tripani, who also codes Firefox hacks), The Gadgeteer, etc, etc.

steveneddy
April 19th, 2008, 02:05 AM
There still hasn't been a compiler that could compile Linux for the human brain (male or female) so all the girls here (and all the guys) run the same biological software they were born with.

What is that supposed to mean?

You smoking something, LaRoza?

LaRoza
April 19th, 2008, 02:08 AM
What is that supposed to mean?

You smoking something, LaRoza?

To quote the OP:

"but I'm just curious to be honest are there any girls here running Ubuntu?"

There are many computers here running Ubuntu, humans are unable to use third party operating systems to this date.

No, I do not use any drugs.

Triggerhapp
April 19th, 2008, 02:11 AM
To quote the OP:

"but I'm just curious to be honest are there any girls here running Ubuntu?"

There are many computers here running Ubuntu, humans are unable to use third party operating systems to this date.

No, I do not use any drugs.

Oh god, who has the patent to my biological software...

danbuter
April 19th, 2008, 02:11 AM
I just want some sexy pictures with girls and penguins.

What?

Triggerhapp
April 19th, 2008, 02:15 AM

What?
Err. How can you tell the difference of gender on cartoon penguins? or even real ones, on photos?

danbuter
April 19th, 2008, 02:19 AM
I'm not sure how to respond to that.

Joeb454
April 19th, 2008, 02:19 AM

ME!!!!1 :D

jflaker
April 19th, 2008, 02:30 AM

Could you imagine!
It is a good thing we have not come that far.......I can think of MANY good things to come from running an OS on the human neural network. Then I cringe when I think of how badly it can be turned around on us to become slaves or drones.

tigerplug
April 19th, 2008, 02:32 AM
I was just curious as to whether or not there are many female users... thats all. I dont happen to know any off hand.

tigerplug
April 19th, 2008, 02:33 AM

20 Euro says Microsoft have a patent int he next 2 days

odiseo77
April 19th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Sorry, but you should say "women on Ubuntu" because many females consider it sexist to refer to them as "girls" if they are 20+ in age.

In my country, for some odd reason, women start to feel old when they get 30 years old (or even earlier), and then they like to be treated as teenagers again :)

EDIT: No male chauvinism intended in the above comment, I just find it funny.

Foster Grant
April 19th, 2008, 02:45 AM

Based on matching characteristics, we're running RISC OS.

o Stored in ROM
o Module based, including soft-loading of modules not present in ROM at boot
o Single user, cooperative multi-tasking, single threaded.
o Proprietary file system

:)

cybergal
April 19th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Yes!

Bloch
April 19th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Girls?

How do you talk to them?

Dr Small
April 19th, 2008, 03:13 AM
I was just curious as to whether or not there are many female users... thats all. I dont happen to know any off hand.
My sister is one...

jrusso2
April 19th, 2008, 03:15 AM
There are several regulars on this forum that are women including me and one is even a moderator and developer

gsiliceo
April 19th, 2008, 03:19 AM
I force my sister to use ubuntu =P she used to get windows virus every month and guess who she called, well i got fed up and now i rarely have to go to her house to do mantainance.

cybergal
April 19th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Girls?

How do you talk to them?

Most guys find it easier to listen. ;-)

LaRoza
April 19th, 2008, 03:26 AM
There are several regulars on this forum that are women including me and one is even a moderator and developer

There are at least two that are staff, perhaps more.

Triggerhapp
April 19th, 2008, 03:30 AM
There are at least two that are staff, perhaps more.
"Hint hint" ? :P

Pathfinder_
April 19th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Girls on Ubuntu?
Keep dreaming. ;)

LaRoza
April 19th, 2008, 03:48 AM
"Hint hint" ? :P

macogw and bapoumba at least, perhaps me...

Triggerhapp
April 19th, 2008, 03:51 AM
macogw and bapoumba at least, perhaps me...

Yes, I've read you enough times not wanting to admit either. :P
My fiancee says I act more like a girl than her at times -.-

LaRoza
April 19th, 2008, 04:12 AM
My fiancee says I act more like a girl than her at times -.-

Tell her to not be sexist, and to be more understanding.

Triggerhapp
April 19th, 2008, 04:18 AM
HAHAHAH Will do!
Doesnt help my hair is longer than hers

LaRoza
April 19th, 2008, 04:19 AM
HAHAHAH Will do!
Doesnt help my hair is longer than hers

That means nothing. My hair is down to my waist. That tells you nothing about my sex.

Triggerhapp
April 19th, 2008, 04:22 AM
That means nothing. My hair is down to my waist. That tells you nothing about my sex.
exactly. Maybe its my nail polish....
And mines almost that long! I had to have the split ends cut short a bit back, shame really

freebeer
April 19th, 2008, 04:24 AM
pfft.. next they'll be claiming there are women on the internet!

LaRoza
April 19th, 2008, 04:32 AM
pfft.. next they'll be claiming there are women on the internet!

http://xkcd.com/322/

exactly. Maybe its my nail polish....
And mines almost that long! I had to have the split ends cut short a bit back, shame really

I can't help you there. I always found nail polish to be weird, no matter who has it.

Triggerhapp
April 19th, 2008, 04:49 AM
I can't help you there. I always found nail polish to be weird, no matter who has it.
It suits my trenchcoat and all black shirt/jeans/boots XD

init1
April 19th, 2008, 05:06 AM
What about the borg? Can't they run Linux?

Foster Grant
April 19th, 2008, 05:30 AM
What about the borg? Can't they run Linux?

I would think this one's obvious: The Borg run Vista and WinServer 2003.

http://images.slashdot.org/topics/topicms.gif

swoll1980
April 19th, 2008, 06:09 AM

Microsoft. Who else?

clairegrrl
April 19th, 2008, 06:13 AM
im not a mod...im not a developer, but i am a grrl. Actually, a http://www.websmileys.com/sm/angels/littleangel.gif

ShodanjoDM
April 19th, 2008, 06:31 AM
I personally know atleast two:

Few months ago I installed Ubuntu on a friend's laptop. She has an old T22 Thinkpad that's still working fine despite the virus ridden Windows 98.

Then a few days ago I installed Ubuntu on my sister's shiny new Toshiba laptop after she found that the preinstalled Vista wasn't to her liking.

ubuntu-freak
April 19th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I always find this curiousity curious. Don't you think it would be weird if there were no female Ubuntu users? We just outnumber them, that's all.

Nathan

toupeiro
April 19th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I know at least 7 women that run Linux on their home computers, not all ubuntu. I know many more that work with it.

steveneddy
April 19th, 2008, 10:51 AM

You remind me of QuinnStorm from the Beryl days, which was only last year.

macogw
April 19th, 2008, 01:08 PM

more than one mod is female. i'm one.

LaRoza & Triggerhapp:
I'll third the hair-to-waist

DoctorMO
April 19th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Part of me says that it doesn't matter... When I think back to the people I help with ubuntu I rarely index attributes for later searches; for instance:

<human id="4838dk"><name>Sarah</name><attributes><sex assumed="true">♀</sex><gender assumed="true">♀</gender></attributes></human>

Why in the world would I index assumed data? it's not even very stable, I may decide to index claimed data but then it's so irrelevant for dealing with human beings API wise.

*for those of you who don't get jokes, this is geek poetry*

Moop
April 19th, 2008, 01:25 PM

What?

A good reason not to make posts when you've been drinking!

:lolflag:

LaRoza
April 19th, 2008, 03:10 PM
It suits my trenchcoat and all black shirt/jeans/boots XD

I wear only black to the extreme (everything, even clothes you can't see and the linings have to be black)

I wear boots only (western style) and have for 7 years.

more than one mod is female. i'm one.

LaRoza & Triggerhapp:
I'll third the hair-to-waist

You were listed ;)

clairegrrl
April 19th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I wear only black to the extreme (everything, even clothes you can't see and the linings have to be black)

I wear boots only (western style) and have for 7 years.

You were listed ;)

Are yoy Johnny Cash? I saw the movie.

helliewm
April 19th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I am female too!

Helen

Erunno
April 19th, 2008, 04:23 PM
NSFW (Not Safe For Work):

http://florchakh.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/ubuntu-girl.jpg

CaptainCabinet
April 19th, 2008, 04:25 PM
NSFW (Not Safe For Work):

http://florchakh.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/ubuntu-girl.jpg

There's an Ubuntu advertisement right there. lol

munkyeetr
April 19th, 2008, 04:38 PM

"to this date" is right: but there are people with money who are trying to make it a reality...http://www.singinst.org/overview/whatisthesingularity

scary shyte if I do say so.

LaRoza
April 19th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Are yoy Johnny Cash? I saw the movie.

I wear only black, I have seen Johnny in a white shirt.

(He was also a male...)

the8thstar
April 19th, 2008, 04:54 PM
@ Triggerhapp

Err. How can you tell the difference of gender on cartoon penguins? or even real ones, on photos?

Easy! Female penguins wear skirts and lipstick.

LaRoza
April 19th, 2008, 04:59 PM
@ Triggerhapp

Easy! Female penguins wear skirts and lipstick.

This isn't even a way to tell human females from human males...

Mrs Twaddle
April 19th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I'm a girlie too!!! :D

tubunu
April 19th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Girls on Ubuntu?
Keep dreaming. ;)

How can you be so ignorant? I'm a woman running Ubuntu and Linux in general for four years now. It was M$ before. I'm sure there are PLENTY of other women just that social attitude towards women is so unfair. It's like it's almost a crime if a woman does so. Come on, get a life.

LaRoza
April 19th, 2008, 05:24 PM
How can you be so ignorant? I'm a woman running Ubuntu and Linux in general for four years now. It was M$ before. I'm sure there are PLENTY of other women just that social attitude towards women is so unfair. It's like it's almost a crime if a woman does so. Come on, get a life.

I have a theory that the majority of people on online forums are female, but they keep it quiet because of those type of people that make it difficult.

"The Internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents"

the8thstar
April 19th, 2008, 05:32 PM
@ LaRoza:

well, I don't know about humans but I assure you it works with penguins.

"Excuse me Mrs. Penguin, I'm just going to lift up your skirt to verify a theory here..."

(SLAP IN THE FACE)

See, what did I tellyou?

Mrs Twaddle
April 19th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I have a theory that the majority of people on online forums are female, but they keep it quiet because of those type of people that make it difficult.

very true on a number of forums i frequent... we play guess the gender with some :)

the8thstar
April 19th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Being mostly concerned with technical problems in Ubuntu on the one hand and being happily married on the other, I don't really care if the user helping me is male or female.

I do wonder however, why you see more men traditionally interested or involved in computers than you do women. Societal reasons? Education? Expectations? Gender preference? Perhaps a bit of everything and more. The topic is vast and the question will certainly remain unanswered.