PDA

View Full Version : Nice article on open source... by a politician :o

Mr. Picklesworth
April 18th, 2008, 07:44 PM
As some may be aware, Canada's green party had discussed their use and support of open source software about a year ago and make mention of it in their policies.

I kind of liked this, so thought I would post it here!

Bill Hulet (who I will refer to by name instead of just "them", as would be typical with the standard closed-doors organization) wrote a thorough and thoughtful article about open source ideals on his blog yesterday. It's fantastic to see politicians taking this concept seriously!
http://www.greenparty.ca/en/node/4357
Bill's truck analogy is a nice one for pointing out how this model is difficult and different in today's society, but undeniably better. (Better trucks; who doesn't want those?). I think real, pain-free growth in this direction could be best achieved with the government's help.

Really cool to read that; this is a very sharp contrast to what seems to be most other political parties. Things are looking good for them in terms of having at least some kind of an influence, too, so... yay! (The next election, whenever that is, will be probably the first election where they get noticed by anyone, including the media).

Mazza558
April 18th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Wow, FOSS getting attention from politicians? Now that's something! In the UK, however, the Green Party are a minor party and this'll go completely under the radar. It'd be very interesting to see one of the major parties include the use of OSS as a selling point for people to support them - it'd certainly draw attention to it (despite the fact that they would probably only use it as a selling point and not a major policy)

jrebernik
April 18th, 2008, 07:51 PM
very interesting article i wish more governments supported open source but it seems at the moment they mostly care about piracy and copyrights.... sad... if only there was an organization like truth (anti smoking group) for windows :'(

Mazza558
April 18th, 2008, 07:57 PM
very interesting article i wish more governments supported open source but it seems at the moment they mostly care about piracy and copyrights.... sad... if only there was an organization like truth (anti smoking group) for windows :'(

It's only the fully developed world that thinks this way. Countries like Brazil love using FOSS.