PDA

View Full Version : New Google Earth = AWESOME (now including sunrise/sunset!)

Mazza558
April 18th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Well, I've just installed the latest Google Earth, and it's something to behold. It is fast approaching photorealism, now including realistic shadows and colours to improve things massively. It also has street view, which zooms down to street level in order to explore this way. Obviously my integrated ATi card is no way to showcase this app properly, so if someone with a better card (e.g nvidia 8800gtx, etc) could give it a run, this'd be interesting.

After gaping at the screenshots (attached), you can install it with this command:

wget http://dl.google.com/earth/client/current/GoogleEarthLinux.bin ; chmod +x GoogleEarthLinux.bin ; sudo ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin

If you already have the previous version, find the install directory (default is in your home folder), and run uninstall.sh.

jrebernik
April 18th, 2008, 06:55 PM
well i tried taking a look at it but when i run the programs all the fonts are extremely small... impossible to read at all. any ideas on how to fix this?

fluteflute
April 18th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Yep it is very good. My XP install got booted up for the first time in a while because of it. Shame my graphic card's drivers (a Radeon 9600 Pro) can't handle GE. :(

Mazza558
April 18th, 2008, 07:00 PM
flute, in Hardy, you can run 3D apps properly due to the new ATi drivers. They aren't brilliant, but they do the job provided you turn off compiz when you want to use 3d apps.

fieldstone
April 18th, 2008, 07:37 PM
well i tried taking a look at it but when i run the programs all the fonts are extremely small... impossible to read at all. any ideas on how to fix this?

I am also having the tiny font problem. Thoughts, anyone?

Mazza558
April 18th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Can you post a screenie of the tiny fonts?

rfruth
April 18th, 2008, 07:53 PM
it is amazing, makes me want to get a graphics card ...

jrebernik
April 18th, 2008, 07:54 PM
here ya go

caravel
April 18th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Crashing here. I've googled and it seems a lot of people are having the same problem and reporting the bug today.

caravel@caravel-desktop:~$ googleearth
Google Earth has caught signal 4.

Stacktrace from glibc:
./googleearth-bin [0x804f3c7]
./googleearth-bin [0x804f8ed]
[0xffffe420]
./libbase.so(_ZN5earth17ScopedPerfSetting6createERK7 QStringbb+0x64) [0xb70e40f2]
./libbase.so(_ZN5earth17ScopedPerfSettingC2ERK7QStri ngbb+0x45) [0xb70e418b]
./libbase.so(_ZN5earth20LogScopedPerfSettingC1ERK7QS tring+0x35) [0xb70e4257]
./libgoogleearth_lib.so(_ZN5earth6client11Applicatio n13setupQtLocaleEv+0x42) [0xb72fca60]
./libgoogleearth_lib.so(_ZN5earth6client11Applicatio n3runEv+0x31) [0xb72fcda9]
./googleearth-bin(main+0x2a1) [0x8050b77]
/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe0) [0xb7133050]
./googleearth-bin [0x804f201]

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Google Earth has crashed.
This is a bug in the program, and should never happen under normal
circumstances. A bug report and debugging data are now being written
to this text file:

/home/caravel/.googleearth/crashlogs/crashlog-FEF3D97C.txt

This bug report will be sent to Google automatically next time you run
Google Earth. Its data, which contains no personal information, will help
us correct problems without bothering you further. If you would rather
this info not be transmitted, please delete the above file before running
the program again. If you want bug reports to NEVER be sent, remove the
above 'crashlogs' directory's read/write permissions.

caravel@caravel-desktop:~$

Mazza558
April 18th, 2008, 08:06 PM
here ya go

Try changing the application font from Sans to something else?

I don't know about the crashes though.

jrebernik
April 18th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Try changing the application font from Sans to something else?

I don't know about the crashes though.

Nope no dice. regardless of what i change any font to and what size it is it doesn't effect it.

Mazza558
April 18th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Okay, try turning compiz off with

metacity --replace

then try google earth again.

You can turn compiz back on with

compiz --replace

kystorms
April 18th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Well, I've just installed the latest Google Earth, and it's something to behold. It is fast approaching photorealism, now including realistic shadows and colours to improve things massively. It also has street view, which zooms down to street level in order to explore this way. Obviously my integrated ATi card is no way to showcase this app properly, so if someone with a better card (e.g nvidia 8800gtx, etc) could give it a run, this'd be interesting.

After gaping at the screenshots (attached), you can install it with this command:

wget http://dl.google.com/earth/client/current/GoogleEarthLinux.bin ; chmod +x GoogleEarthLinux.bin ; sudo ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin

If you already have the previous version, find the install directory (default is in your home folder), and run uninstall.sh.

after getting the download as you suggest, it loads fine, no erroes, but the icon on my desktop has a lock on it, and when i click nothing happens???? did i miss a step?
newbie here
:KS

jrebernik
April 18th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Okay, try turning compiz off with

then try google earth again.

You can turn compiz back on with

sadly enough still not working hmmm i cant figure out a reason that it wouldnt display right.................

Mazza558
April 18th, 2008, 08:52 PM
after getting the download as you suggest, it loads fine, no erroes, but the icon on my desktop has a lock on it, and when i click nothing happens???? did i miss a step?
newbie here
:KS

Nah, it's google's fault. Delete it - you can still access it from Applications > Internet.

Jareth
April 18th, 2008, 10:30 PM
So just to clarify, the google-googleearthdesktop icon can be deleted?

Ta

Mazza558
April 18th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Yes. Yes it can.

tigerplug
April 19th, 2008, 01:00 AM
flute, in Hardy, you can run 3D apps properly due to the new ATi drivers. They aren't brilliant, but they do the job provided you turn off compiz when you want to use 3d apps.

Uber cool!

ofb
April 19th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Problems with 4.3 may be related to this,
http://groups.google.com/group/earth-linux/browse_thread/thread/e77715780fd5ede5

I thought you guys deserved an update. The long and short of it is
that Google Earth 4.3 only works in Linux on machines with processors
that support SSE2. This means a P4, A64, or greater is now required.

icechen1
April 19th, 2008, 03:37 AM
They've put a flight simulator in this one,see http://earth.google.com/intl/en/userguide/v4/flightsim/index.html

Lostincyberspace
April 19th, 2008, 04:24 AM
when did this one come out I installed just about a week ago. is that new enought to be this one?

Edit: No I have to reinstall it now poo. :(

DUfire
April 19th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Mine just gets to 'Initializing' and stops.
Quite annoying, actually.

Ran another install, caught this error:

Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":1.0".

swoll1980
April 19th, 2008, 05:35 AM
on the first run it works great, but when I close it and reopen it the earth is gone. I tried to reinstall it and it worked fine again untill I closed it. When I reopened it same thing happend
I reinstalled it one more time to make sure and I have the same problem. Any ideas? google earth just isn't as fun with out the earth for some reason

imon9
April 19th, 2008, 08:57 AM
on the first run it works great, but when I close it and reopen it the earth is gone. I tried to reinstall it and it worked fine again untill I closed it. When I reopened it same thing happend
I reinstalled it one more time to make sure and I have the same problem. Any ideas? google earth just isn't as fun with out the earth for some reason

+1
same happening to me..i reinstall 4.2 and i can use google-earth normally

reinstall 4.3 doesnt resolve the problem (even after reboot, deleting config files)

rcdeacon
April 19th, 2008, 09:28 AM
My Google-earth install logs me out. I would like to uninstall but using the code sudo /opt/google-earth/uninstall does not work to uninstall. I also tried using uninstall.sh in the code all to no avail. I went to synaptic but it is not there either.

Mazza558
April 19th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Strange how many people are having problems with this... As someone mentioned above, it will only work in the first place with a new-ish processor.

Tomosaur
April 19th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Same deal as the guys a few posts above me - the earth disappears when I close and re-open Google Earth, reinstalling doesn't help :(

It's a shame, I love Google Earth. The flight simulator is a lot of fun :P

The Pinny Parlour
April 19th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I downloaded from google. How do install the thing? I have a googleearthlinux.bin sitting on the desktop and have no idea how to install it.
thanks.

Tomosaur
April 19th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I downloaded from google. How do install the thing? I have a googleearthlinux.bin sitting on the desktop and have no idea how to install it.
thanks.

Right click it, go to properties, then the permissions tab, and set it to be executable. Then just double-click on it (or single click if you're like me :P ) and it should work.

The Pinny Parlour
April 19th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Right click it, go to properties, then the permissions tab, and set it to be executable. Then just double-click on it (or single click if you're like me :P ) and it should work.

Thanks for your assistance but it didn't work.
There is no application installed for this file type.

DUfire
April 19th, 2008, 01:10 PM
If you can't see the Earth.....

Compiz + XGL + ATI = No 3D Acceleration.

: |

Mazza558
April 19th, 2008, 01:23 PM
If you can't see the Earth.....

...look down at the floor :p

DUfire
April 19th, 2008, 01:25 PM
...look down at the floor :p

Thanks, it worked! : D

...But, if you can't see the eiffel tower o.o...

Mazza558
April 19th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks, it worked! : D

...But, if you can't see the eiffel tower o.o...

I heard the devs are fixing a bug called NOT_IN_PARIS_ERROR. It should be fixed, but you have to pay some money to get there, and the "update" takes about an hour if you're in the UK.

DUfire
April 19th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I heard the devs are fixing a bug called NOT_IN_PARIS_ERROR. It should be fixed, but you have to pay some money to get there, and the "update" takes about an hour if you're in the UK.

Okay, screw this, I'm in the US!

:(

The Pinny Parlour
April 19th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Anyone got any ideas on how to install GoogleEarthLinux.bin?
It's on my desktop, I just need to get it installed.
Thanks

DUfire
April 19th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Anyone got any ideas on how to install GoogleEarthLinux.bin?
It's on my desktop, I just need to get it installed.
Thanks

Just drag it to your home folder and run the commands on the first page of this thread.
: D

...Shapow.

The Pinny Parlour
April 19th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Just drag it to your home folder and run the commands on the first page of this thread.
: D

...Shapow.

Thanks. That didn't work. It wanted to download the whole thing again.

got any other suggestions?

Mazza558
April 19th, 2008, 04:44 PM
You just double click the file and click "open in Terminal" - why doesn't this work for you?

diablo75
April 19th, 2008, 05:39 PM
All you have to type to install Google earth is

sh GoogleEarthLinux.bin

while you're sitting in the same path as the bin file you downloaded.

Anyway, I was just wanting to check in and see if people were still hitting that bug with Google Earth not running after installation. I just wiped 8.04 beta off and installed 8.04 RC last night. I just reinstalled it on 8.04 RC and the same bug comes up (mentioned earlier in this thread by others).

Anybody know how to fix this?

cardinals_fan
April 19th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Whenver I run it it crashes X :(

Mazza558
April 19th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Whenver I run it it crashes X :(

Turn off compiz first.

chris4585
April 19th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I tried, at first it looked like it was all good, the fonts were good, but trying to maximize the windows ferked it up.

Whiffle
April 19th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Pretty neat. Not photorealistic by any means, but not too shabby either. I just checked out the national park I went backpacking in a few weeks ago, it was pretty cool.

rune0077
April 19th, 2008, 10:16 PM
For those of you who get the disappearing earth, it's some kind of weird permission problem. You can run googleearth with sudo/gksu, and it should work fine.

I tried changing the actual launch-file permissions, but that didn't change anything, so the problem is some other file. Anyways, run it with sudo/gksu and it works on my end.

olzak
April 20th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I can see earth and use this new Google Earth 4.3 only when open as administrator (as Rune0077 said previous message).

When using as normal user there is no earth, only space and stars.

Christmas
April 20th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I can see earth and use this new Google Earth 4.3 only when open as administrator (as Rune0077 said previous message).

When using as normal user there is no earth, only space and stars.
I'm not sure because I didn't try it, but after you installed it did you run it as root? You know, when it asks to run it immediately after you installed it. Because it's possible that Google Earth created its configuration files as root and you can't access them as normal user. Try to modify the permissions of directory ~/.googleearth, or just delete it (sudo rm ~/.googleearth) and run it again as normal user. ~ is your home folder.

Screenshot on Debian Lenny with KDE:

picopir8
April 20th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Deleting the ~/.googleearth directory did not work for me. I also copied the .googleearth dir from /root/ into ~ and changed permissions and it did not work. All the googleearth permissions in /opt are the same for all owner/group/other so it does no look like a permission problem there.

My temporary solution was to change the right click "applications", click "edit menus" then edit the google earth icon and replaced the command with "gksu googleearth". Then it will prompt you for a password when launched and run with root privileges.

swoll1980
April 20th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I think the firewall is causing the disappearing earth but don't know how I would fix it.

chris4585
April 20th, 2008, 10:53 PM
sudo googleearth

works for me, I'm not worried about it then

rfruth
April 20th, 2008, 11:19 PM
DON'T install GE with sudo (the docs don't say this but they should) unless you run GE as root

cardinals_fan
April 20th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Turn off compiz first.
I don't use Compiz, but I updated my Zenwalk Snapshot and it started working. Yes!

sefs
April 21st, 2008, 12:35 AM
Jre if you look carefully not only are the fonts too small, but there is no earth, and no data in places, or layers. Which is the same problem I have.

Howerver the earth and data in side bars seem to load in all accounts accepty the main ubuntu user account. why is that.

here ya go

sefs
April 21st, 2008, 12:39 AM
If you log in via the root terminal and navigate to the goole earth dir and run the uninstall as actual root user (not using sudo) uninstall should work.

My Google-earth install logs me out. I would like to uninstall but using the code sudo /opt/google-earth/uninstall does not work to uninstall. I also tried using uninstall.sh in the code all to no avail. I went to synaptic but it is not there either.

Can+~
April 21st, 2008, 01:22 AM
For those who installed used the command (which is wrong, since it installed with sudo):

I got the problem that when trying to uninstall I got something like
"Unable to alocate uninstaller"

When executing the uninstaller in /opt/google-earth/

So I checked the bash file with gedit, and found that it traces back to:

/root/.loki/installed/bin/Linux/x86/uninstall

I ran that with:

root@asgard:/root/.loki/installed/bin/Linux/x86# ./uninstall google-earth
Product: Google Earth
Installed in /opt/google-earth
Uninstalling desktop menu entries...
Uninstalling mimetypes...
# Installed by xdg-mime from googleearth-mimetypes.xml
Could not remove install directory: Directory not empty
Google Earth has been successfully uninstalled.

The folder inside loki/installed is different for each architecture and OS, so it may vary.

And the uninstall was successful

root@asgard:/root/.loki/installed/bin/Linux/x86# googleearth
bash: googleearth: command not found
root@asgard:/root/.loki/installed/bin/Linux/x86# exit
exit
canxp@asgard:/root$

rajeev1204
April 21st, 2008, 08:51 AM
I have the same font problem. Cant read a thing.

Iam on 64 bit so probably its a reason? Cos when i run it from terminal, i get wrong elf class 64 errors for some gtk libraries.

Xbehave
April 21st, 2008, 12:26 PM
Is there any solution to the lack of earth if you install it outside of /home/ & dont use sudo

Im no security nut, but google earth, by default loads unrecognised xml, i dont want anything running as root doing anything unrecognised
And i have noexec on my /home, so installing it to /home/ apart from being messy simply wont work for me.

the8thstar
April 21st, 2008, 06:48 PM
Hello,

I can see everything but GE is awfully slow! The version I'm using is:

Google Earth 4.3.7191.6508 (beta)
Date de la version Apr 11 2008
Heure de la version 17:53:01
Moteur de rendu OpenGL
Système d'exploitation Linux (2.6.24.0)
Pilote vidéo Tungsten Graphics, Inc
Taille de texture maximale 2048x2048
Serveur kh.google.com

I have turned off the desktop eye-candy but it doesn't change anything. Is there anything I could do from there?

Mazza558
April 21st, 2008, 06:54 PM
Hello,

I can see everything but GE is awfully slow! The version I'm using is:

I have turned off the desktop eye-candy but it doesn't change anything. Is there anything I could do from there?

You have a low-performance integrated card, so there's not much you can do. Try turning the detail down in the options, and perhaps increasing the amount of memory you allow for it will make a difference (don't give it your whole RAM though!)

rajeev1204
April 22nd, 2008, 12:14 PM
I have the same font problem. Cant read a thing.

Iam on 64 bit so probably its a reason? Cos when i run it from terminal, i get wrong elf class 64 errors for some gtk libraries.

Recent updates seem to have solved the font problem,Its still tiny though.

But now i have the problem other people are facing -- cant log into session.

So using cached images.

gjwolfswinkel
April 22nd, 2008, 03:17 PM
Adding 'sudo' to the startup command in the launcher solved my 'missing earth' problem - thanks for that.

I have an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2300 card and a dual core Intel centrino processor; this machine is able to run GE with either Compiz or Metacity.

sefs
April 22nd, 2008, 05:40 PM
Why would one or should one have to run google earth with admin privileges? Ludicrous.

rune0077
April 22nd, 2008, 06:56 PM
Why would one or should one have to run google earth with admin privileges? Ludicrous.

If one does not install it as admin or with sudo, one does not have to.

Blue Heron
April 22nd, 2008, 08:26 PM
Isn't it ridiculous?
A software that's awesome because it simulates the sunrise?

I like the real sunrise.

Xbehave
April 22nd, 2008, 08:55 PM
I installed it to /opt/ as a normal user and it still doesn't work, it appears to want to have the right to execute scripts in my /home/.googleearth/ but as it doesn't complain I cant seam to figure out what's going wrong.

Azureus (non-repo version) for example wanted to unpack swt.jar in my /tmp, but as it at least gave me a clue i managed to fix this. any ideas what it does in my /home/ ?

sefs
April 23rd, 2008, 03:09 AM
That does not make sense. I have firefox in /opt and its installed with root permissions on the files....yet I can use firefox without sudo or admin, as well as tbird, adobe reader etc, and they operate as expected or should. In fact previous to googleearth 4.3 googlearth operated this way. Explain to me what I am misunderstand here. You make it sound that you must run an app as root/admin if it's installed with sudo etc., and as far as I can see this is not the case.

If one does not install it as admin or with sudo, one does not have to.

EfChou
April 23rd, 2008, 09:44 AM
Alrighty,

Here's how I made google-earth work as user and not root:

First run the uninstaller in the directory you installed to (mine was /opt/google-earth)

so it was

sudo /opt/google-earth/uninstaller

then

rm -rf /opt/google-earth/

and after that

cd ~/.config

then do a

rm -f Google/

finally,

rm -rf .googleearth/

rerun the installer as root, and install to the default locations, after it is done installing DO NOT click start, click QUIT and then start google earth as your user, it worked for me. I guess the initial run is a setup of the files, so if you run it as root, it sets permissions for root only! :)

rune0077
April 23rd, 2008, 11:47 AM
That does not make sense. I have firefox in /opt and its installed with root permissions on the files....yet I can use firefox without sudo or admin, as well as tbird, adobe reader etc, and they operate as expected or should. In fact previous to googleearth 4.3 googlearth operated this way. Explain to me what I am misunderstand here. You make it sound that you must run an app as root/admin if it's installed with sudo etc., and as far as I can see this is not the case.

You're right, it does not make sense at all, and no, Google Earth didn't use to behave that way. I assume it's a bug of some kind (if it's not, it's a very stupid design). But currently, that seems to be the way to do it.

I don't understand it either, but when I install Google Earth with the sudo command, it will only run if I run it with sudo. As said, I think it's a bug (or should be) with Google Earth, for no other app I heard of, ever behaved that way.

sefs
April 23rd, 2008, 01:47 PM
I wish i could do it that way...but I feel as if my system would be open to a clear vector of attack. I'll try EfChou solution a bit later...I hope I have luck with that.

...but when I install Google Earth with the sudo command, it will only run if I run it with sudo...

asnd16
April 23rd, 2008, 03:16 PM
I am kinda mad. . . with the new version I am having serrious slow issues . . I need a graphics card errr. . . anyone know how to go back to the previous version? LOL I hate to say it. 2 days till Hardy yeah!!

olzak
April 23rd, 2008, 04:13 PM
rerun the installer as root, and install to the default locations, after it is done installing DO NOT click start, click QUIT and then start google earth as your user, it worked for me. I guess the initial run is a setup of the files, so if you run it as root, it sets permissions for root only! :)

Thank You, EfChou! That works for me. I uninstall Google Earth and install it (not to the default folder (I install it /usr/lib/googleearth, which is Ubuntu's default) but that isn't the point. The point is that "after it is done installing DO NOT click start" click quit or stop installing.

After that I can start my Google Earth as user. I change GE's desktop icons user rights to my name.

It's something to do with ~/config/Google directory's GoogleEarthPlus.conf file . It was earlier installation Administrators rights and now mine (user rights). Perhaps it is so simple that change this user rights to yours, and no re-installing needed.

sefs
April 23rd, 2008, 11:53 PM
If you are experiencing fonts that just do not look right... see here...

http://groups.google.com/group/earth-linux/browse_thread/thread/dd32d0436741d005/e328f8f2a04c08c6?lnk=raot#e328f8f2a04c08c6

the8thstar
April 25th, 2008, 03:42 AM
You have a low-performance integrated card, so there's not much you can do. Try turning the detail down in the options, and perhaps increasing the amount of memory you allow for it will make a difference (don't give it your whole RAM though!)

I disagree with you. I installed the latest in Vista and it runs like a charm. So what could it be?

smartboyathome
April 25th, 2008, 04:18 AM
I didn't realise I had to uninstall (I installed the new version), and now when I try to uninstall it says "Could not find a usable uninstall program. Aborting."

keithrennie
April 26th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Same problem. Just installed ubuntu 8.04 and google earth. The installation performed, but the application crashes and forces a reboot. Used to work find under kubuntu 7.10. Any ideas how to go about fixing this? Keith :(

rcdeacon
April 26th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Google Earth on my box was an abysmal failure. I cannot seem to uninstall it. I cannot sign in as root to remove it and it will not remove using the sudo command. It tells me that the uninstall command is not found. Does anyone know how to get this off. I have read that I need to use a different install procedure but I cannot do that until the old one is off.

the8thstar
April 26th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Google Earth on my box was an abysmal failure. I cannot seem to uninstall it. I cannot sign in as root to remove it and it will not remove using the sudo command. It tells me that the uninstall command is not found. Does anyone know how to get this off. I have read that I need to use a different install procedure but I cannot do that until the old one is off.

Try to log in as root by configuring the login screen to allow you to do it (in Preferences -> Login).

rcdeacon
April 26th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Thank you the8thstar but sadly I still cannot remove google earth from my box. I can log in as root but it will not uninstall. I go to the directory (/opt/google-earth) and type uninstall and it tells me something to the effect of "no command" or file. Not sure what the problem is. Whenever I try to start google earth my box goes into a reboot cycle. I need to get rid of it and start fresh.

the8thstar
April 26th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Well, if all else fails, log in as root and destroy the whole /opt/google-earth directory with the trashcan. That's expeditive and rough, but it works.

smartboyathome
April 26th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I have the same problem, nothing works. :(

JayBee808
April 27th, 2008, 01:21 AM
I followed the instructions in the original post. Everything seemed to install okay.

When I run Google Earth, I get an error saying that it cannot connect to the servers. It says to check the firewall to see if GE is allowed.

I am running Hardy, and I have not installed any firewall software.

Does anyone know how I can allow GE to connect? Is this problem caused by something else?

EDIT:
I was able to uninstall everything by running this command:
sudo /root/.loki/installed/bin/Linux/x86/uninstall google-earth

I tried installing from Synaptic (I think it was in the Medibuntu repos), but it does the same thing.

Google Earth detected an error while trying to authenticate Please check the following:
-your network connection (can you get to www.google.com?)
-your firewall settings
(are you blocking /usr/lib32/googleearth/googleearth-bin?)

Error code: 29
For more information, visit:

There is no website listed. I checked and I don't have firestarter installed, and UFW says Firewall not loaded. Google Earth 4.2 runs fine in WinXP and on a Gutsy machine on the same network. I haven't tried upgrading them to 4.3 yet.

I'd appreciate any help I can get on this. Google Earth is about the only thing I still use Windows for. It just works so much better there. I wish this wasn't the case.

JayBee808
April 27th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Adding this package solved the Error 29 problem:

sudo apt-get install lib32nss-mdns

This was posted in an older thread about GE connection problems:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4809830&postcount=13

Puppy fam
April 28th, 2008, 03:26 AM
I just installed Google Earth 4.3 and the font is really small. I don't know if I have to change the font or just make it bigger. In either case I don't know how to. Thanks for any help.

(A screen shot is attached)

gewitty
April 28th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I'm getting the same error after installing:

to this text file:

/root/.googleearth/crashlogs/crashlog-3DC3121E.txt

Does anyone know if this has been fixed yet?

BigSilly
April 28th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I dunno, but I'm getting an error just trying to download this from Medibuntu. Have they removed it? I've installed other packages from them just fine, but Google Earth (any version) gives me this error in Synaptic:

W: Failed to fetch http://packages.medibuntu.org/pool/non-free/g/googleearth-4.2/googleearth-4.2-data_4.2.205.5730-0medibuntu3_all.deb
404 Not Found [IP: 213.186.45.139 80]

W: Failed to fetch http://packages.medibuntu.org/pool/non-free/g/googleearth-4.2/googleearth-4.2_4.2.205.5730-0medibuntu3_i386.deb

W: Failed to fetch http://packages.medibuntu.org/pool/non-free/g/googleearth/googleearth_4.3.7191.6508-0medibuntu2_all.deb

I've been trying it sporadically all day but to no avail.

rajeev1204
April 28th, 2008, 09:37 PM
New Google Earth = AWESOME CRAP !

rune0077
April 28th, 2008, 10:36 PM
New Google Earth = AWESOME CRAP !

I really enjoy these intelligent comments, very well thought through and really full of insight :confused:

rajeev1204
April 29th, 2008, 01:00 AM
I really enjoy these intelligent comments, very well thought through and really full of insight :confused:

Sorry man. Just got frustrated trying to get this to run.Keeps on freezing my machine and i have to restart.

Iam calm now :)

Anyways,this is a cafe post not really a support thread is it.

bikeboy
April 29th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Maybe you'll have more success with medibuntu's repo version.

rune0077
April 29th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Sorry man. Just got frustrated trying to get this to run.Keeps on freezing my machine and i have to restart.

Iam calm now :)

Anyways,this is a cafe post not really a support thread is it.

Sure, no prob. Been there, done that. :)

Quillz
April 29th, 2008, 01:48 AM
The new Google Earth is amazing, plain and simple. It's getting to the point where you don't even need to take vacations anymore.

sefs
April 29th, 2008, 02:02 AM
see http://groups.google.com/group/earth-linux/browse_thread/thread/dd32d0436741d005/e328f8f2a04c08c6?lnk=raot#e328f8f2a04c08c6

for solution to small fonts.

I just installed Google Earth 4.3 and the font is really small. I don't know if I have to change the font or just make it bigger. In either case I don't know how to. Thanks for any help.

(A screen shot is attached)

phrostbyte
April 29th, 2008, 02:04 AM
You can also get googleearth from Medibuntu.

qhaz
April 29th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Adding this package solved the Error 29 problem:

sudo apt-get install lib32nss-mdns

This was posted in an older thread about GE connection problems:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4809830&postcount=13

Thanks . . . I must have missed the earlier thread about this problem. It has fixed mine too.

cheers

BigSilly
April 29th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I dunno, but I'm getting an error just trying to download this from Medibuntu. Have they removed it? I've installed other packages from them just fine, but Google Earth (any version) gives me this error in Synaptic:

W: Failed to fetch http://packages.medibuntu.org/pool/non-free/g/googleearth-4.2/googleearth-4.2-data_4.2.205.5730-0medibuntu3_all.deb

W: Failed to fetch http://packages.medibuntu.org/pool/non-free/g/googleearth-4.2/googleearth-4.2_4.2.205.5730-0medibuntu3_i386.deb

W: Failed to fetch http://packages.medibuntu.org/pool/non-free/g/googleearth/googleearth_4.3.7191.6508-0medibuntu2_all.deb

I've been trying it sporadically all day but to no avail.

Come back to this today, and I still get the same above errors when trying to download from Medibuntu. Am I doing something wrong? Cheers Ubuntu-ites!

JayBee808
April 30th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Here is what I did to get it working with the Medibuntu repos:

1. Add the repos as specified at medibuntu.org
2. Open Synaptic, search for "googleearth"
3. First select "googleearth-4.3" for install
4. Next select "googleearth-4.3-data"
5. Last select "googleearth" (the meta package). I found if I selected this one first, it was trying to install GE 4.2
6. Apply the changes, wait for the downloads.
7. Select and install "lib32nss-mdns" to fix the Error 29 problem

These steps got it up and running for me. The performance seems to be better than it was with 4.2. It still works better in Windows (unfortunately) but it is getting better. It is very usable.

gewitty
April 30th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Still getting a problem. When following the instructions above, I get an error when attempting to run sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update. This seems to go OK, but then throws up an error saying that the public key is not available, as shown below:

dave@dave-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update
Hit http://archive.canonical.com hardy Release.gpg
Ign http://archive.canonical.com hardy/partner Translation-en_GB
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy Release.gpg
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/main Translation-en_GB
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/restricted Translation-en_GB
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security Release.gpg
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/main Translation-en_GB
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/restricted Translation-en_GB
Hit http://packages.medibuntu.org hardy Release.gpg
Ign http://packages.medibuntu.org hardy/free Translation-en_GB
Ign http://packages.medibuntu.org hardy/non-free Translation-en_GB
Hit http://archive.canonical.com hardy Release
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/universe Translation-en_GB
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/multiverse Translation-en_GB
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates Release.gpg
Ign http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/main Translation-en_GB
Ign http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/restricted Translation-en_GB
Ign http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/universe Translation-en_GB
Ign http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/multiverse Translation-en_GB
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/universe Translation-en_GB
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/multiverse Translation-en_GB
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security Release
Get: 1 http://www.virtualbox.org gutsy Release.gpg [189B]
Ign http://www.virtualbox.org gutsy/non-free Translation-en_GB
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy Release
Hit http://packages.medibuntu.org hardy Release
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates Release
Hit http://archive.canonical.com hardy/partner Packages
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/main Packages
Get: 2 http://www.virtualbox.org gutsy Release [700B]
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/main Packages
Hit http://archive.canonical.com hardy/partner Sources
Ign http://www.virtualbox.org gutsy Release
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/restricted Packages
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/main Sources
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/restricted Sources
Hit http://packages.medibuntu.org hardy/free Packages
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/restricted Packages
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/main Sources
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/restricted Sources
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/universe Packages
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/universe Packages
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/universe Sources
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/multiverse Packages
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/multiverse Sources
Hit http://packages.medibuntu.org hardy/non-free Packages
Hit http://www.virtualbox.org gutsy/non-free Packages
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/universe Sources
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/multiverse Packages
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/multiverse Sources
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/main Packages
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/restricted Packages
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/main Sources
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/restricted Sources
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/universe Packages
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/universe Sources
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/multiverse Packages
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/multiverse Sources
Fetched 190B in 0s (361B/s)
Reading package lists... Done
W: GPG error: http://www.virtualbox.org gutsy Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 390EC3FF927CCC73
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
medibuntu-keyring is already the newest version.
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
fakeroot libxalan110 libtimedate-perl dpkg-dev patch libxerces27
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Hit http://archive.canonical.com hardy Release.gpg
Ign http://archive.canonical.com hardy/partner Translation-en_GB
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy Release.gpg
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/main Translation-en_GB
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/restricted Translation-en_GB
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security Release.gpg
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/main Translation-en_GB
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/restricted Translation-en_GB
Hit http://archive.canonical.com hardy Release
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/universe Translation-en_GB
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/multiverse Translation-en_GB
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates Release.gpg
Ign http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/main Translation-en_GB
Ign http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/restricted Translation-en_GB
Ign http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/universe Translation-en_GB
Ign http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/multiverse Translation-en_GB
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy Release
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/universe Translation-en_GB
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/multiverse Translation-en_GB
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security Release
Get: 1 http://www.virtualbox.org gutsy Release.gpg [189B]
Ign http://www.virtualbox.org gutsy/non-free Translation-en_GB
Hit http://packages.medibuntu.org hardy Release.gpg
Ign http://packages.medibuntu.org hardy/free Translation-en_GB
Ign http://packages.medibuntu.org hardy/non-free Translation-en_GB
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates Release
Hit http://archive.canonical.com hardy/partner Packages
Get: 2 http://www.virtualbox.org gutsy Release [700B]
Hit http://packages.medibuntu.org hardy Release
Ign http://www.virtualbox.org gutsy Release
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/main Packages
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/restricted Packages
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/main Sources
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/restricted Sources
Hit http://archive.canonical.com hardy/partner Sources
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/main Packages
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/universe Packages
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/universe Sources
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/multiverse Packages
Hit http://www.virtualbox.org gutsy/non-free Packages
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/multiverse Sources
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/main Packages
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/restricted Packages
Hit http://packages.medibuntu.org hardy/free Packages
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/restricted Packages
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/main Sources
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/restricted Sources
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/universe Packages
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/main Sources
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/restricted Sources
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/universe Packages
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/universe Sources
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/multiverse Packages
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/universe Sources
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/multiverse Packages
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/multiverse Sources
Hit http://packages.medibuntu.org hardy/non-free Packages
Hit http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/multiverse Sources
Fetched 190B in 0s (415B/s)
W: GPG error: http://www.virtualbox.org gutsy Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 390EC3FF927CCC73
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

I ran apt-get update, but that didn't cure the problem.

When I try to run Google Earth from Terminal I get this error report:

dave@dave-desktop:~$ googleearth

Stacktrace from glibc:
./googleearth-bin [0x804f3c7]
./googleearth-bin [0x804f8ed]
[0xb7fba420]
./libbase.so(_ZN5earth17ScopedPerfSetting6createERK7 QStringbb+0x64) [0xb71070f2]
./libbase.so(_ZN5earth17ScopedPerfSettingC2ERK7QStri ngbb+0x45) [0xb710718b]
./libbase.so(_ZN5earth20LogScopedPerfSettingC1ERK7QS tring+0x35) [0xb7107257]
./libgoogleearth_lib.so(_ZN5earth6client11Applicatio n13setupQtLocaleEv+0x42) [0xb7328a60]
./libgoogleearth_lib.so(_ZN5earth6client11Applicatio n3runEv+0x31) [0xb7328da9]
./googleearth-bin(main+0x2a1) [0x8050b77]
/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe0) [0xb7156450]
./googleearth-bin [0x804f201]

to this text file:

/home/dave/.googleearth/crashlogs/crashlog-F6A1A5D3.txt

I'm now unclear as to whether this is a bug in Google Earth or a problem resulting from the lack of a public key when accessing the repositories (although this seems to be an issue with VirtualBox, rather than Google Earth).

Any ideas?

Melk79
May 2nd, 2008, 02:28 AM
For GE 4.3 on Hardy, I did the following and it worked:

1. Install GE 4.3 via Synaptic Package Manager (rather than from Google)

2. At this point, I get Error 29 and no connection

3. Run sudo apt-get install lib32nss-mdns (thanks acope) (For 64bit anyways)

4. Error 29 is gone, but no earth appears as user. Only sudo googleearth works.

5. Remove .config/Google and .googleearth from my home directory and restart googleearth (thanks phoolish)

6. Everything works great.

DJ_Peng
May 3rd, 2008, 02:25 PM
see http://groups.google.com/group/earth-linux/browse_thread/thread/dd32d0436741d005/e328f8f2a04c08c6?lnk=raot#e328f8f2a04c08c6

for solution to small fonts.
That's ok for a workaround, but I'm still seeing some issues including images not being clear in the Tip window. I'm also not fond of the Lucida fonts but I can't seem to get the settings right to use the Dejavu Sans that I prefer to the point of having them as my system font.

junior aspirin
May 3rd, 2008, 07:21 PM
not sure if anyone has mentioned, but the new google earth is in the Medibuntu repos

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

DJ_Peng
May 4th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks for posting that, junior. I hadn't realized that it wasn't posted but that's where I got it from. With Automatix2 being at end of life and things moved into Medibuntu I usually just check the repos to see if packages are available, but I also forget to point out things are found there now.

the8thstar
May 4th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I don't understand. I've installed the latest Google Earth but it's terribly slow. The strange thing is, the same version runs very well on my Vista partition! All I see is a boring slideshow.

Any ideas on how to improve this? Thanks!

Mazza558
May 4th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I don't understand. I've installed the latest Google Earth but it's terribly slow. The strange thing is, the same version runs very well on my Vista partition! All I see is a boring slideshow.

Any ideas on how to improve this? Thanks!

Are you running Compiz?

the8thstar
May 4th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Hey Mazza558,

I always turn off desktop effects before running GE. I took this habit from the older versions that would give me the black screen.

the8thstar
May 4th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Bump

BigSilly
May 4th, 2008, 09:10 PM
It's been in the Hardy Medibuntu Repo for a while. Sadly, it's a bit of a mess. Only GE 4.2 is working. Version 4.3 won't start, and I'm getting an error readout from the terminal -

Stacktrace from glibc:
/usr/lib/googleearth/googleearth-bin [0x804f3c7]
/usr/lib/googleearth/googleearth-bin [0x804f8ed]
[0xb7f62420]
/usr/lib/googleearth/libbase.so(_ZN5earth17ScopedPerfSetting6createERK7 QStringbb+0x64) [0xb70ae0f2]
/usr/lib/googleearth/libbase.so(_ZN5earth17ScopedPerfSettingC2ERK7QStri ngbb+0x45) [0xb70ae18b]
/usr/lib/googleearth/libbase.so(_ZN5earth20LogScopedPerfSettingC1ERK7QS tring+0x35) [0xb70ae257]
/usr/lib/googleearth/libgoogleearth_lib.so(_ZN5earth6client11Applicatio n13setupQtLocaleEv+0x42) [0xb72d0a60]
/usr/lib/googleearth/libgoogleearth_lib.so(_ZN5earth6client11Applicatio n3runEv+0x31) [0xb72d0da9]
/usr/lib/googleearth/googleearth-bin(main+0x2a1) [0x8050b77]
/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe0) [0xb70fd450]
/usr/lib/googleearth/googleearth-bin [0x804f201]

to this text file:

/home/kproject/.googleearth/crashlogs/crashlog-FFF78057.txt

I tried installing version 4.2 and letting it perform an update via the net, but it just crashes Firefox. So for me at least, it's v. 4.2 or nothing at the moment.

the8thstar
May 5th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Google Earth 4.3 doesn't work. I'm reverting to 4.2.

If anyone with an Intel 945GM can make it work, let me know.

daverave999
May 5th, 2008, 06:53 PM
For those who need the old version, they've made 4.2 available to download again:

http://dl.google.com/earth/client/GE4/release_4_2/GoogleEarthLinux.bin

A heads-up for anyone who needed it, as I just noticed...

Maximiliano
May 16th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Googleearth 4.3 works with Ubuntu Hardy

Error Signal 4 when install from medibuntu.
Uninstall from synaptic
Download from googleearth, and install (don't run when the install promt to start googleearth, just cancel, Alt+F2 and type Googleearth

Have athlon xp +2400 and works perfect

--------------------------------

Googleearth 4.3 funciona perfecto con Ubuntu hardy

Cuando lo instale desde medibuntu no arrancaba, al querer arrancarlo desde el Terminal me daba error Signal 4.
Lo desinstale con synaptic.
Baje Googleearth desde la página de google y lo instale (click derecho, propiedades, permisos, permitir ejecutar como programa, luego doble click y comienza la instalación).
Al terminar la instalación te pregunta si desea arrancar Googleeart, presionar Alt+F2 y teclear googleearth para que arranque desde esa ventana. La ventana de la instalación cerrarla cancelando o saliendo.

Lei por alli que con Athlon +xp no funciona, y si funciona.
El problema es con la instalacion desde medibuntu.

----------------------------------------------

skychris
May 17th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I've tried installing both from medibuntu and google web site but no luck I get this message when running it from terminal

Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":1.0".

any idea?

btw, I have a ATI card :)

gewitty
May 18th, 2008, 12:19 PM
For those who need the old version, they've made 4.2 available to download again:

http://dl.google.com/earth/client/GE4/release_4_2/GoogleEarthLinux.bin

A heads-up for anyone who needed it, as I just noticed...

Having failed to get the new version running, I attempted to revert to 4.2, but this wouldn't work either. When I ran a file scan, I discovered that although I had done a complete uninstall of 4.3 in Synaptic, there are still quite a number of GoogleEarth folders scattered around different parts of the file system. I'm guessing that this is probably why the re-installation of 4.2 is failing. Now it looks as if I will have to track down each orphaned file and delete them one at a time.

jaduncan
March 29th, 2009, 01:53 PM
FYI, this works very well on Jaunty on an x4500 intel card with DRI2 indirect rendering.

Tested GE version is 5.0.