PDA

View Full Version : NEW Ubuntu IRC Channel!

GCoffee
April 18th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Hello!

You are all invited to come and chat on the IRC Channel #ubuntuchat on DALNet

If you do not IRC A great place to get started is to download Xchat gnome on the Repositories and come and join the channel!

All Ubuntu Chat Is Welcome!

Hope to see you there!

misfitpierce
April 18th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Whats wrong with the standard #Ubuntu room? lol

PartisanEntity
April 18th, 2008, 11:27 AM

That's what I was thinking :)

DoctorMO
April 18th, 2008, 12:52 PM

The large number of people joining and quiting causing lots of status messages
Too many questions scrolling past too quickly
Not many people there are regular enough to form a community
Too volatile and not administrated to any great degree

Xbehave
April 18th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I think its over administerd, idle both #ubuntu and #kubunut and youll see that one takes the rules far too seriously! (even when its quite)

GCoffee
April 18th, 2008, 06:03 PM
The large number of people joining and quiting causing lots of status messages
Too many questions scrolling past too quickly
Not many people there are regular enough to form a community

I was thinking along those lines...

days_of_ruin
April 18th, 2008, 06:11 PM
lol irc...

GCoffee
April 18th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Is IRC out of date or something?!

fatality_uk
April 18th, 2008, 06:48 PM

No but it's quite a lot to handle for a new comer unless they know what IRC is about.

I have a seen a number of times someone post a question and then just see it get lost in the chatter. That gets people peeved and they just start posting random rants about stuff

toupeiro
April 18th, 2008, 07:02 PM

well, in contrast with the other methods of communication available now, I'd say yes. I was using IRC some 12 years ago, and it was already well established by then. It's even older than gopher, and was initally designed with BBS's in mind. IRC is where script kiddies go to cut their teeth now. They go and download a shell or script for mIRC and dump its macro's all over the chat room. When you have a busy room, its cumbersome to maintain a conversation, and you usually sidebar conversations because you can't keep up, so whats the point? Might as well use forums which are much better structured for a large community.

smartboyathome
April 18th, 2008, 07:37 PM
By the way, Pidgin can do IRC. I recommend using that instead of xchat.

ice60
April 18th, 2008, 07:37 PM
a lot of people on IRC are morons. i like it sometimes though lol. i'm not a moron!

conehead77
April 18th, 2008, 08:01 PM

how??
edit: nvm, got it

PriceChild
April 18th, 2008, 08:50 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InternetRelayChat is a good introduction to IRC.

Ubuntu's official presence is on the 'Freenode' network, which is set to default in all ubuntu clients as irc.ubuntu.com

That link gives a huge list of channels, encompassing almost all languages (by LoCo teams) as well as teams, ontopic and offtopic. You can usually find me idling in #ubuntuforums or #ubuntu-offtopic... neither as serious as #ubuntu ;)

bonzodog
April 18th, 2008, 08:57 PM

Um, as a highly experienced IRC user, I would not recommend pidgin as an IRC client. It's missing a lot of basic features that any good IRC client should contain. It's good for basic IRC usage, but beyond that, it does not do a good job.

For GUI clients, XChat (not Xchat-gnome!), is the best one available.

For terminal based clients, use irssi or weechat.

bobbocanfly
April 18th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Xchat is good for smallish projects when things need to be done quickly. I cant see MOTU (The guys in charge of Universe (all the packages you download)) being half as useful without #ubuntu-motu.

days_of_ruin
April 18th, 2008, 09:32 PM

They are a very inefficient way to communicate especially when there
is a lot of people on them.Also I like stuff moderated and irc's are usually off-topic.

FuturePilot
April 18th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Um, as a highly experienced IRC user, I would not recommend pidgin as an IRC client. It's missing a lot of basic features that any good IRC client should contain. It's good for basic IRC usage, but beyond that, it does not do a good job.

For GUI clients, XChat (not Xchat-gnome!), is the best one available.

For terminal based clients, use irssi or weechat.

Yes. Pidgin does not make a very good IRC client. Setting up IRC in Pidgin is a lot more confusing than it is in Xchat. Just don't use Xchat-gnome or you'll drive yourself mad. ;) I personally like Xchat.

GCoffee
April 19th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Hey,

The Internet was in use some 15 years ago to a certain degree and is still in use now!

GCoffee
April 19th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Yes. Pidgin does not make a very good IRC client. Setting up IRC in Pidgin is a lot more confusing than it is in Xchat. Just don't use Xchat-gnome or you'll drive yourself mad. ;) I personally like Xchat.

Thanks for the advice!

rudihawk
April 19th, 2008, 10:28 AM
whats wrong with #ubuntuforums?