PDA

View Full Version : Is this a major security leak??

itix
April 18th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Right click on menus, go to system tools, enable root terminal, start root terminal, play god on the machine and not ONCE did MY computer ask for the root password.
I brought up a nautilus file browser and was able to create folders on my external HD (that for some strange reason is owned by root, same with my iPod and my usb-stick: post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=758223)). I just wonder, had I a client system in, for example, the school, would the "curious" little pupils be able experiment with the machines via this?

wormser
April 18th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I am running Gusty and it brought up a GUI password request.

Is this on Hardy? It sounds like a BIG security flaw to me. Have somebody else confirm it then write up a bug in launchpad (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu). It needs to be fixed in the next 6 days.

BTW, nice find!

LightB
April 18th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Uh, well it uses sudo to authenticate root permissions right? sudo gets timed in and maintains root permissions without password input for a limited time, right?

Other than that, make sure you're not actually logged in as root. (stranger things have happened)

itix
April 18th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I am also running gutsy... Ran hardy until yesterday when I got tired of all the bugs. I should change my profile display.
I just tried again and it actually asked for my root password this time. It was from a fresh login last time, so It could not be that I had already typed it in for another application. Maybe it was just a one-time-only event??

Sukarn
April 18th, 2008, 09:52 AM
The "root terminal" as you're calling it, is just a "gksudo gnome-terminal" call, so it brings up a graphical password box courtesy of gksudo.

If you already ran something with gksudo recently, then you wouldn't get the password box because of the way gksudo and sudo are set up by default to not ask for password again within a short time period.

itix
April 18th, 2008, 09:53 AM
How would I make sure of that??
I have not enabled root login... and I still needed to type the root password the second time so I guess that I'm not.

chewearn
April 18th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I tried it in Hardy, the password prompt came up. No problem there.

Sukarn
April 18th, 2008, 10:01 AM
How would I make sure of that??
I have not enabled root login... and I still needed to type the root password the second time so I guess that I'm not.

Make sure of what?

Its just that if you used gksudo with any application recently (anything that gives the graphical password prompt like synaptic, update manager, etc. is calling gksudo) then you wouldn't be prompted for the password again.

I'm not sure about this, but I think that the default timeout is set to 15 minutes, and it seems to last into different sessions (at least for me). I mean that if I use gksudo synaptic, and then logout and login then I can use gksudo [anything] without being prompted for my password again unless the 15 minutes have passed, and as long as its treated as the same virtual console or X session, which happens if I do not log into multiple sessions at the same time (like being logged into two X sessions at the same time)

itix
April 18th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Probably just a one-time event...
Guess it's nothing then... Wierd as hell though.

itix
April 18th, 2008, 10:14 AM
[...] make sure you're not actually logged in as root. (stranger things have happened)

What I mean is; are there any cool terminal command that you can use, like am_I_root_loz? or such?

The gksudo on different sesions theory seams like the mot plausable one. I did actually use certain root constricted applications before logging out...

LightB
April 18th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Not sure, either way I just think it's a case of the sudo password timeout and you input the password previously.

tribaal
April 18th, 2008, 10:38 AM
You can easily see who you are by using the "whoami" command.

Changing the timeout of your sudo cache might work for you if you don't mind inputing your password every time.

Cheers

- Trib'

itix
April 18th, 2008, 10:50 AM
You can easily see who you are by using the "whoami" command.[...]

Cool! =)
Philosophical linux ftw x)

...and I already knew about the timout, but thanx anyways. I think we have solved the problem actually. It was just a timout that hadn't run out just yet. I do mind entering my password actually since I'm th only user of this computer so if I would change the timeout, I would lengthen it. I was just thinking of those who isn't the only user of their comuter.

Trail
April 18th, 2008, 12:28 PM
If you really want to, you can change sude policy (through visudo) so that you don't have to type your password when using sudo/gksudo/kdesu/... Look it up on these forums.

macogw
April 18th, 2008, 06:30 PM
What I mean is; are there any cool terminal command that you can use, like am_I_root_loz? or such?

The gksudo on different sesions theory seams like the mot plausable one. I did actually use certain root constricted applications before logging out...

whoami

uknowho008
April 18th, 2008, 10:28 PM
i noticed another bug in 8.04 on xubuntu. i reported it on launchpad but dont really know what im doing and nobody seems to have addressed it.

if youre logged in then you switch user to another user. when you log out of that user it logs you right back into the previous user automatically without any password or anything. seems like a pretty big flaw to me.

shinythings
April 18th, 2008, 10:57 PM
That is actually a setting you can change. Right click on the switcher app, select 'Preferences', and tick 'Lock the screen after switching users' under 'Options'.

Daveski
April 18th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I do mind entering my password actually since I'm th only user of this computer so if I would change the timeout, I would lengthen it. I was just thinking of those who isn't the only user of their comuter.

Then you would set up the other users not to have the authority to run sudo - easy really.

HermanAB
April 18th, 2008, 11:27 PM
$ who

orgy
April 18th, 2008, 11:31 PM
maybe before you ran the root terminal you ran the update manager which is a gksudo call, that's why it didnt ask for your password.

my guess.

Polygon
April 19th, 2008, 03:48 AM
yeah, you most likely entered your password for some other gksudo application within 5 minutes which is why it didnt ask for your pass.

itix
April 19th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Read through the entire thread ;)
We have already established that that was what happened, only I logged out and in again (to make sure that the GDM-theme was correct) and Ubuntu thought of it as one session. I therefor felt a bit strange since it was a fresh login, but it's no security leak.