PDA

View Full Version : The Open Source Pledge

MONODA
April 17th, 2008, 07:31 PM
After seeing several opensource projects with very good ideas and what I thought would be a bright furture, halt in development, I realized what the problem is with FOSS. When a person starts an Opensource project, they work on it and develop it. A few people may help with the project but the project usually does not get taken up by many developers. What happens many times is that development of the project stops and it dies and becomes forgotten(or at least no one takes up the project). An example is flyback (http://code.google.com/p/flyback/). What I am suggesting (and this may not be the proper place) is that whenever someone starts and open source project, they take a pledge to either contintue to develop and improve it, or pass on development to someone else. This way there will be more organization in software development in FOSS. what do you guys think?

Ozor Mox
April 17th, 2008, 08:25 PM
While I agree that it is a shame when an open source project dies out, I don't think anyone should demand that a project leader continue to develop a project or pass it on. If they lose interest in it, or don't see a way in which they can improve it, they have every right to stop working on it. The code is out there for anyone to use, and if the project was worthwhile, someone will pick it up.

MONODA
April 18th, 2008, 05:53 PM
hmm.. i guess you are right, I guess I was just sad that FOSS project die out and wanted a way to fix it.