PDA

View Full Version : Compiz users: what are YOUR opacity settings?

SomeGuyDude
April 17th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Since I exist largely to counterbalance the "compiz sucks" crowd, I'll open this one up, too!

I love toying with opacity in Compiz, so I'm wondering what you use. Here's my short list:

1) ALL menus are 90%. Tooltip | Menu | PopupMenu | DropdownMenu set to 90.

2) Pidgin IM windows (not the buddy list) are set to 95%. class=Pidgin & !title=Buddy List set to 95.

3) Also under "Move Window" I have opacity set to 80%. The nice thing here is if I need to translate directions from one window to another, I can just click on the titlebar of the window I'm working on and see what's under it.

What do you use?

FuturePilot
April 17th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Since I exist largely to counterbalance the "compiz sucks" crowd, I'll open this one up, too!

Compiz FTW :mrgreen:

Anyways I actually don't use the opacity stuff. I got tired of it. But I haven't used it in such a long time this thread makes me want to play around with opacity again. :)
I will be back with my settings once I find some good ones. :)

Perfect Storm
April 17th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Using only standard Compiz default. Though I install window decoration theme changer to change to the one I like. Then default shadow and transparencies for terminals, but lately I use Tilda instead - it looks cool ^_^ ...and it's very functional as well.

SunnyRabbiera
April 17th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I really dont use transparency, unless its my terminal (yay for transparent terminals! :D)

rolnics
April 17th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I haven't fiddled with compiz settings for a while! I think its great to have such stuff on my trust old pc!! But as above I don't have opacity settings at the mo . . . but maybe . . .maybe not . . . :lolflag:

bigbrovar
April 17th, 2008, 06:54 PM
class=panel set to 75

class=Menu | PopupMenu | Dropdo set to 75

Het Irv
April 17th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I only use transparancy while rotating the cube, I made a pretty nice skycap that I like and I have atlanis2 enabled at the moment it looks pretty cool.

Tristam Green
April 17th, 2008, 06:59 PM
PopupMenu | DropDownMenu 90

amazingtaters
April 17th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I really dont use transparency, unless its my terminal (yay for transparent terminals! :D)

Same here. I like my windows to be solid, except my terminal for some reason. Don't ask me to explain why, there is no answer.

billgoldberg
April 17th, 2008, 08:36 PM
My settings:

name=gnome-panel | Tooltip | Menu | PopupMenu | DropdownMenu

Opacity set to 90.

Trailfocus has unused windows set to 70.

It looks like this:

http://xs226.xs.to/xs226/08164/screen984.png.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs226&d=08164&f=screen984.png)

kirsis
April 17th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I think there's a very good reason for having a transparent terminal. I often find myself entering commands or following instructions from another window (like firefox). So a transparent terminal on top of the instructions means I dont have to switch between them, read the next bit of instructions, switch back, etc. :)

And yeah, I just have the terminal and top panel transparent (very subtly).

What I dig most about compiz is the ability to run avant, the way it reduces redraw artifacts on non-responding windows and the scale plugin :)

klange
April 17th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I tend to keep things opaque and have no preset opacity levels. I do, however, use as many RGBA-compliant applications as I can and tend to hack it in to a few things every now and then (though I've reverted to the packaged Pidgin and Nautilus to keep with the updates).

CJ56
April 17th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Good question SomeGuyDude...

Does this include TrailFocus, set at 65?

Some transparency on the terminal & I used to have about 75 on the drop-down Ubuntu menus until it drove me slightly bonkers...

But as with all these things, everything is provisional, given the limitless tweakings Ubuntu/compiz encourage you to try...