PDA

View Full Version : need some one to push me foward :P

mikklingur
April 17th, 2008, 01:33 PM
hey pps :P i got my first linux system installed(ubunut) 2 days ago. it first took me some time to learn how to move around it....it not as simple like win just double klick with mouse and nex. next next next and finsih :D
but either way i starting to enyoj linux system more and more but to be honest i dont know exeacly what to do...so is there any one who cann tell me what nobie as me start to do at start....something that can slowly take ma deeper and deeper in linux comunity :P so if u have any ideas or even tell me how u startewd your first days with linux i would be very thankfull :P

Ozor Mox
April 17th, 2008, 01:39 PM
it not as simple like win just double klick with mouse and nex. next next next and finsih

No it's even easier, open package manager, right click software, mark for installation, apply :)

Are you using your new Ubuntu system for experimentation or as an actual desktop? Because I did the latter, so I got to know how to use it as that, using office documents, playing music, watching videos/DVDs, internet, installing games and so on.

christianxxx
April 17th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Hi!

Great to hear that you want to know more. For me, it's really all about interests.
What I did, was to have a look at the community docs https://help.ubuntu.com/community/.
Read about your hardware, your software, anything that might be of interest.
In addition I try click through as many forum threads as possible, but still within my fields of interest.
It was a long time before I posted anything, mostly I was just reading and learning.
The weekly newsletters will provide a lot of information, but tends to be focused around development and publicity.

Most important is, play. Play around. Learning by failure is an excellent method. I try to keep a virtual machine running the latest and the greatest, where I can try and test and fiddle. If it goes wrong, no harm done.

Good luck with your new installation, and I hope you'll stay.

mikklingur
April 17th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Well ubuntu is my only active desktop atm :P i just got bored 2 days ago and fomated all my HD and say bye bye winxp....i WONT be missing you :P but either way i going to do as ppl told me to do...read and read and even read some more :P many thanks pps :D

Raven_Oscar
April 17th, 2008, 01:57 PM
If i were you I would start from reading docs and howtos related to ubuntu. On ubuntu site or wiki.
Debian documentation is also suitable because ubuntu based on debian.

And year christianxxx's is right. First of all you should decide what you want and then to search all data concerns it. So read as many topics as you need to understand what do you want to do.

chucky chuckaluck
April 17th, 2008, 02:10 PM
if you're a 'normal' user like me (browsing, email, music, making stupid pictures), you've probably already realized that linux is pretty different from windows (if you were bored, as i was, that's a good thing). what i found frustrating, when i first got started, was the lack of 'idiot' instructions. expect a few months of being baffled, but eventually, you'll get the hang of figuring out what it is you need to know.

quinnten83
April 17th, 2008, 02:29 PM
have a look @ ubuntuguide.org and see what applies to you.
That's how i got started.

edm1
April 17th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I gradually learnt linux through making mistakes (not intentionally) and fixing them. Is there anything inparticular you want help with. If not, set yourself a project, like setting up an ftp server or something, try doing it and you're bound to pick things up along the way.

kpkeerthi
April 17th, 2008, 02:58 PM
...and the links in my signature...

mikklingur
April 17th, 2008, 03:24 PM
hehe thank u all for all those comments :P i make a small lists of "THAT-TO-DO" so all im waiting for now is finish my job (damm 4 more hours) and then go and have fun :P i really liked idea with FTP server but i really dont know if that possible coz me and my freind are using same internet connection and he got already ftp server up (is it possible for me to change just the port so mine would work as well ( (hes 10.0.0.1:21 and mine 10.0.0.1:22 and let say that 10.0.0.1 is our outside ip :D

warbread
April 17th, 2008, 04:37 PM
hey pps :P i got my first linux system installed(ubunut) 2 days ago. it first took me some time to learn how to move around it....it not as simple like win just double klick with mouse and nex. next next next and finsih :D
but either way i starting to enyoj linux system more and more but to be honest i dont know exeacly what to do...so is there any one who cann tell me what nobie as me start to do at start....something that can slowly take ma deeper and deeper in linux comunity :P so if u have any ideas or even tell me how u startewd your first days with linux i would be very thankfull :P

My first few days were filled with anguish as I had accidentally vaporized my XP partition and didn't have an install disk. From there it was a matter of getting twinview to work in Breezy... twice (reinstall). Ah, memories.

You could learn to SSH into another box. When you do that, mount a remote partition using SSHFS. When you've done that, get it to mount automatically at boot. You could "go back in time", so to speak, and install an earlier version of Ubuntu. You'll still have community support, but you won't have the easy of use and smoothed out edges that Gutsy or Hoary have. Of course, if you really want to learn, go install Gentoo from the minimal install CD.

SomeGuyDude
April 17th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I bookmarked a page for "start new thread" here on the forums. Then if I ever had a question, I put the keywords into the subject line, hit tab, and then waited to see what came up. 99% of the time it answered whatever question I had (UF's hidden secret, right there).

mikklingur
April 18th, 2008, 09:44 AM
omg me luv you guys :P