PDA

View Full Version : python:programming assignments

bala_biophy
April 17th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Dear friends,

I am new to python and just have just covered few introductory books in python. Before going further with advanced books, i would like to do some small assignments. Can someone suggest me any link where i can have some programming assignments given for beginners (especially for python if available) with/without solutions.

Thanks in advance,
Bala

ghostdog74
April 17th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Have you gone through the tutorial (http://docs.python.org/tut/tut.html)at the Python documentation site?If you have , move on the the other documents on that site.
There are other links on that site you can look into.

ruy_lopez
April 17th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Dive into Python (http://www.diveintopython.org/) is pretty good. It's available for download in a variety of formats.

slavik
April 17th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Dear friends,

I am new to python and just have just covered few introductory books in python. Before going further with advanced books, i would like to do some small assignments. Can someone suggest me any link where i can have some programming assignments given for beginners (especially for python if available) with/without solutions.

Thanks in advance,
Bala
http://www.projecteuler.net
enjoy. :)

days_of_ruin
April 17th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Dive into Python (http://www.diveintopython.org/) is pretty good. It's available for download in a variety of formats.

I second that.
And if you want to buy a book after that, I would recommend O'reilly's
Learning Python

pmasiar
April 17th, 2008, 02:45 PM

@OP: Don't trust everything what random people suggest. When you check into, you learn that 'Dive into Python" is for advanced programmers, not for beginners like you. Regardless of that, it is suggested to beginners every week, and I need to rant about that every week. Seems like some people never bother to learn. :twisted:

Anyway, wiki in my sig has plenty of training tasks. Check also PythonChallenge website, they have puzzles (solvable in Python), where each puzzle will lead you to URL of next puzzle (32 levels now). And they have forum with hints and help foe each level.

days_of_ruin
April 17th, 2008, 02:57 PM
@OP: Don't trust everything what random people suggest. When you check into, you learn that 'Dive into Python" is for advanced programmers, not for beginners like you. Regardless of that, it is suggested to beginners every week, and I need to rant about that every week. Seems like some people never bother to learn. :twisted:

Anyway, wiki in my sig has plenty of training tasks. Check also PythonChallenge website, they have puzzles (solvable in Python), where each puzzle will lead you to URL of next puzzle (32 levels now). And they have forum with hints and help foe each level.

oops, I was thinking "a byte of python" which is a true beginners book.http://www.swaroopch.com/byteofpython/
Sorry.

ruy_lopez
April 17th, 2008, 03:01 PM

What's one more rant to you?

pmasiar
April 17th, 2008, 03:03 PM
What's one more rant to you?

What's one more misinformation to a beginner for you? :-)

ruy_lopez
April 17th, 2008, 03:08 PM
What's one more misinformation to a beginner for you? :-)

Exaggerating as always.

At least I didn't say, "Why bother with Python, learn X" (like some other people I know).

ghostdog74
April 17th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Exaggerating as always.

At least I didn't say, "Why bother with Python, learn X" (like some other people I know).

what is X?

Caduceus
April 17th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Not literally a language called "x", you substitute 'x' for another language, as in "Why bother with Python, learn C++"

pmasiar
April 17th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Exaggerating as always.

And you are making too generic comments -- as always :twisted:

Fact is, "Dive Into Python' is NOT a book aimed for a beginner, we discussed that many times, you read it many times I am almost sure - and yet you gave that bad advice, and now you waste everyone's time (including mine, which is the worst offense).

Do you care about quality of your advice? I do care about the advice I gave, and I think about it. So it is doubly frustrating to me when **repeatedly** the same bad advice is given.

I know I know. <Insert xkcd cartoon about stick figure who cannot go to sleep because "someone is wrong on internet"> :-)

ruy_lopez
April 17th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Fact is, "Dive Into Python' is NOT a book aimed for a beginner, we discussed that many times, you read it many times I am almost sure.

I'm sorry but that's not true, I haven't read everything you write. You can't expect me to read all your previous comments. The OP wanted a challenge. If "Dive into Python" is as hard as you say for beginners, then he'll be challenged by it.

Do you care about quality of your advice? I do care about the advice I gave, and I think about it. So it is doubly frustrating to me when **repeatedly** the same bad advice is given.

Of course I care about the quality of advice I give. Take it easy. You're not the sole arbiter of this forum.

pmasiar
April 17th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I'm sorry but that's not true, I haven't read everything you write.

'Dive Into Python' is suggested to a beginner with no programming background in more than half the "help me learn programming" threads (and then contested). You are around long enough, and use to comment on those, so I am quite surprised you never read that. OK, fair enough, you did not. Now you know :-)

The OP wanted a challenge. If "Dive into Python" is as hard as you say for beginners, then he'll be challenged by it.

But it is wrong kind of challenge. Author wrote it as a book for experienced programmers (like K&R "C" book), it specifically does NOT explain programming concepts common to all programming languages (which targeted audience already knows), which is exactly the things beginner need to get explained.

So, IMHO, people giving this kind of advice are wrong 5 times:
- Confusing beginner (who thinks programming is too hard and might just quit)
- Giving bad reputation to the author ("I am never going read book by this guy")
- Giving bad reputation to the forum ("ppl there are clueless")
- Committing sin of not having a clue about what they give advice about (After all, author says it is not for beginners - just read the book if you suggest reading it to others)
- Wasting everyone's time, because bad advice needs to be argued against.

Of course, you are free to ignore all that, but next time you will advocate it again, I will rant again. :-) If I will have time :-)