PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning all caches/tmp files and a solution to ACPI boot problem?

Ub1476
April 17th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Hi, there. Some might know that I posted about Gnome being slower and slower and slower.. The more I use it (if I don't use preload though). So yesterday, I tried OpenBox, and it was really fast and nice. I decided to set a wallpaper for it, and chose Nitrogen to do so, but when I opened it, it looks like it showed thumbnails of every picture in my home directory (yes it crashed). Alright some of theme were icons, but I think a lot were caches Gnome has stored over the time.

So I recall seeing a command here on the forums which will clean the caches. Is there such a command?

Also I think I have some sort of problem with ACPI during boot (hopefully the new kernel will fix it though). Here's (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=46897) thread from Arch forums.

A few seconds after I selected Arch (or any other Linux OS for that matter) I get this:

ACPI: Using IOAPIC for interrupt routing
ACPI: non-queri interrupt received, switching to interrupt mode
(now this takes a while)

If you look at my bootchart, you can see how long time this takes.. Is this a bug?

Unfortunately I don't want to stick with OpenBox because of Compiz right now (expo and the very smooth shading and transparancy effects sort of beets xcompmgr).

Help appreciated:)