PDA

View Full Version : OpenBSD laptop

Th3Professor
April 17th, 2008, 07:49 AM
A native of Slackware, I was a fan of the "K.I.S.S." simplicity motto early on, and when I added OpenBSD to my mix I fell in love.

Perhaps it's just a BSD thing in general, though I know from my experience specifically with OpenBSD that it is one of the most logical operating systems available. I never thought I'd find myself saying, "Unix is easier to learn than Linux"... (that is BSD vs Linux). Though I am still saying it, I believe it's easier than Linux.

The infrastructure, everything. Very logical. Easy. Simple.

I've got Solaris on a desktop, just so I can experience SysV, and it is certainly different, though it's still pretty solid.

I'm enjoying Ubuntu Studio now for the pre-configured aspects and the pre-packaged, uhm, packages (mostly audio apps). Though, I still have OpenBSD and it's great.

I ignore the rude remarks that some of the users throw out there, like in their email lists, especially from the creator (Theo).

OpenBSD works great as a laptop system. If I need to go all-out with apps that are best-suited for Linux, then I use Linux.

Although BSD can do the whole Linux emulation thing, it's not an optimal approach, so in those cases I just boot into Linux. Otherwise, putting obvious security advantages aside, there's no going wrong with the *stability* of OpenBSD. (I have never had any problems with it. Very impressive.)