PDA

View Full Version : Computerworld article comparing OS' and poll

tact
April 17th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Have a read its entertaining. :) Be sure to vote at the end. Linux is at the moment a close second to mac OSX

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9075000&pageNumber=1

skymera
April 17th, 2008, 09:34 AM
oh my days.

Reading through that, that guy is a joke!
This bit made me laugh about Mac OS X

And as for games, consider this: Parallels can't run even the most basic Vista games such as FreeCell, Hearts, Pinball, Solitaire and Minesweeper, because it doesn't support DirectX 9.

And don't expect to run an enterprise on Linux? The amount of companies that publish their sites on Unix systems.

What a joke, i needed that to wake me up.
Now i must go hold back the tears of laughter.

Someone else should rewrite this who isn't bias and isn't so far up Microsofts a**e.

PartisanEntity
April 17th, 2008, 10:10 AM
An interesting read. I felt sorry for the writers who had to find something positive to write about XP and Vista.

wieman01
April 17th, 2008, 10:16 AM
An interesting read. I felt sorry for the writers who had to find something positive to write about XP and Vista.
Yeah... Funny.

madjr
April 17th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Have a read its entertaining. :) Be sure to vote at the end. Linux is at the moment a close second to mac OSX

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9075000&pageNumber=1

read 1 minute and voted :)

really dumbest biased article ever..

the guy is a moron and seems to be getting well paid by ms for this.

Last time it was another guy but paid by Apple.

Good thing linux doesn't have to pay anyone, people really appreciate what we do.

M_the_C
April 17th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I only skim read part of it, but the Linux page seemed hopeful, until I got to the conclusion. *sigh*

Linux not ready for desktop? If I didn't play games I would switch to Linux full time. The distros aren't that confusing, you could pick any of the big distros and happily stick to them for many years to come.

tact
April 17th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Errrm... if you didnt read at least the intro you might have missed that there are 4 different writers, each one supposed to be advocating one OS and slagging off at the other 3 .... all in the spirit of being totally subjective fun. hehehe

So while there is plenty to criticise "wah this guy is in the pocket of MS" certainly isn't one of them. :)

LaRoza
April 17th, 2008, 01:55 PM
The poll and articles are meaningless. (I just tested it, I can vote more than once and have it count)

quinnten83
April 17th, 2008, 02:47 PM
can OSX really run all linux apps natively?

Iehova
April 17th, 2008, 06:10 PM
That was painful. The Vista and XP guys really had a hard time picking out 'positives'. I mean, really, was there anything there?

lespaul_rentals
April 17th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Where's BSD? :(

SomeGuyDude
April 17th, 2008, 06:40 PM
oh my days.

Reading through that, that guy is a joke!
This bit made me laugh about Mac OS X

And don't expect to run an enterprise on Linux? The amount of companies that publish their sites on Unix systems.

What a joke, i needed that to wake me up.
Now i must go hold back the tears of laughter.

Someone else should rewrite this who isn't bias and isn't so far up Microsofts a**e.

Um, you DO realize that each section was made with pure bias toward whatever OS was being written about, right? That was kinda the point. Four guys take four OS's (not sure why they had to use two versions of Windows, but hey), and then explained why it's the best.

The Windows guys were up Windows's ***, the OSX guy was up Apple's, and the Linux guy was up Linux's ***. Jeez.

rudihawk
April 17th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Shame the poor guy who wrote that thing has no idea as to what Linux could do!

bigbrovar
April 17th, 2008, 07:05 PM
just check out the horrid picture of the ubuntu that was used in the site ... am sure THE MAN is behind it .. i just have that feeling

Alien.col
April 17th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Shame the poor guy who wrote that thing has no idea as to what Linux could do!

Exactly my thoughts, Linux has the best interface out there nowadays. The vista guy said that his OS was the most customizable, yeah right.

madjr
April 17th, 2008, 07:30 PM
really funny:

"Vista, the operating system that people love to hate. The system that has been blamed, it seems, for everything from global warming to the U.S. economic meltdown."

-gabe-noob-
April 17th, 2008, 07:56 PM
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9076879&intsrc=hm_list

better computer world article about Ubuntu...

billgoldberg
April 17th, 2008, 08:00 PM

I doubt it very much.

Het Irv
April 17th, 2008, 08:12 PM
As for Linux, I've been hearing it's "ready for the desktop" for years now. Well, it's not ready. It's getting better (market share doubled recently -- to almost 1%) but there are too many distros, packages, ISOs, GNUs, Gnomes, awks, GREPs, flavors, kernels, KDEs, licenses and modules.

As far as I know there is only one Gnome, one KDE, one GNU. This guy just threw as much jargon as he could around and decided that you and I would think he knew what he was talking about. I was laughing to hard during the Vista part anyway to take the XP one seriously.

tbrminsanity
April 17th, 2008, 08:30 PM

If you have the source code I suppose you can compile the program on Mac (since they are both Unix based) but I would expect a lot of errors. Ultimately you will need to modify the code to run cleanly on Mac OS X. You will have an easier time compiling BSD specific programs on Mac (since Darwin is a version of BSD).

tact
April 18th, 2008, 05:08 AM

hehehehe I agree with you! I really thought that was a big ask - those poor writers who had to find good things to say about the two windows contenders. They showed some real talent there (evil talent but talent just the same!) *grin*

Notice that most of their rhetoric was directed at each other! Of course it was staged but I really enjoyed the humour in the XP contender slagging off at Vista, and vice versa..

Its also funny reading the comments of those people who are writing in this forum... the ones who didnt read the intro and think the arguments for and against are legit. hehehe Kinda like being amused when you see a joke go over someone's head... :)

tbrminsanity
April 18th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Vist = At least I'm better then XP

XP = At least I'm better then Vista

rune0077
April 18th, 2008, 02:15 PM

I felt just as sorry for the guy who had to lie to me, by telling me that if I just used Wine and Crossover I should have little trouble running Windows apps.

Come on, four guys who each get to defend their favorite OS - of course they're going to feed us BS. The saving grace of the article, was that all four guys seemed to feed us an equal amount of BS (the Linux-guy included).

Darkhack
April 18th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I felt just as sorry for the guy who had to lie to me, by telling me that if I just used Wine and Crossover I should have little trouble running Windows apps.

Agreed. Wine is not a solution. It may be good for the simple, occasional, application that you need to run, but for a full blown office application or image editor? I doubt it. I would never rely on Wine. I only trust Wine up to Windows 98 compatibility. After that, it's too incomplete and software breaks between versions. Your critical program may work one day but if you apt-get and upgrade Wine, it may break.

Besides, I prefer open source applications anyway. If we need Wine for something, we should create an open source alternative.

tbrminsanity
April 18th, 2008, 05:40 PM
@Darkhack

I agree fully. We shouldn't need to run Windows software on Linux, especially when Linux equivalents exist. He should have given examples of some of those programs and show the difference in cost (example M$ Office ($300-$800) OO.org ($0 [$50 for support]). That in itself is what caused my parents to switch over to Linux.

If companies start to get concerned that Open Source solutions are taking away their business then they should lower their costs and port their software to Linux.

rune0077
April 18th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Besides, I prefer open source applications anyway. If we need Wine for something, we should create an open source alternative.

Absolutely. Or push the developers to port their software to Linux.

aysiu
April 18th, 2008, 06:05 PM
He should have given examples of some of those programs and show the difference in cost (example M$ Office ($300-$800) OO.org ($0 [$50 for support]). That's a bit misleading, though, seeing as how you can use OpenOffice on Windows, too, and you can use NeoOffice on Mac.

tbrminsanity
April 18th, 2008, 07:35 PM
That's a bit misleading, though, seeing as how you can use OpenOffice on Windows, too, and you can use NeoOffice on Mac.

The point is you don't have to worry about running M$ Office on Linux because OO.org works natively on Linux. The same goes for a lot of programs like GIMP, Rythmbox, and Firefox. Who knows, maybe this will lead Windows users to using more FLOSS programs.