PDA

View Full Version : The days of dial up!

Ozor Mox
April 17th, 2008, 12:50 AM
I was just watching a video on YouTube, and at the end it had the sound of a dial up modem connecting to the internet. Maybe I'm just a little bit crazy, as I know how annoyingly slow it was, but does anyone else really miss that sound?

:popcorn:

Ripfox
April 17th, 2008, 12:51 AM
It gave me a warm fuzzy feeling :lolflag:

y6FgBn)~v
April 17th, 2008, 12:54 AM
How many remember the bbs software we used with them :lolflag:

elmer_42
April 17th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Ba nu ba buh ba buuuuh
That one?

Ozor Mox
April 17th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Ba nu ba buh ba buuuuh
That one?

Actually I think it's more like babubububabubu ..... weeeeeee chhhhheeeawww.... ah forget it!

Or, I just found this (http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=16475)! Ah the memories! :)

FuturePilot
April 17th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Actually I think it's more like babubububabubu ..... weeeeeee chhhhheeeawww.... ah forget it!

Or, I just found this (http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=16475)! Ah the memories! :)

Wow! That brought back memories :lol:

Ripfox
April 17th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Awesome...:)

Zeotronic
April 17th, 2008, 02:28 AM
I am still using dial up presently... however, next week that will no longer be true. While I will miss the novelty of it, I'm sure the ability to reconnect without restarting, besides the high speed, will make it all feel better. (I cannot reconnect under the beloved Ubuntu without restarting... don't ask me why)

fedex1993
April 17th, 2008, 02:33 AM
What i cant belive is dial up is still out there and also that there are highspeed bandwith resitrctions still which i think is stupid

icechen1
April 17th, 2008, 02:52 AM
I keep thinking about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG1AQcGGSec

odiseo77
April 17th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Considering I used dial up until approximately 2.5 years ago, it still sounds too much like a nightmare to me :-|

madjr
April 17th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Considering I used dial up until approximately 2.5 years ago, it still sounds too much like a nightmare to me :-|

I used Dial-up till a year ago.

in under developed countries (like mine), many still use Dialup, as it's still a bit cheaper

I have ADSL now thou :)

King_Critter
April 17th, 2008, 04:39 AM
I've got dial-up. :(

kutjara
April 17th, 2008, 04:49 AM
I learned to recognize every nuance of that sound, so I could tell exactly what was happening at every stage of the connection. The slightest variation, and I knew exactly what connection speed I was going to end up with.

kamaboko
April 17th, 2008, 05:06 AM
When I lived in Japan dial-up was a serious cash crunch. Phone time was charged by the minute.

riven0
April 17th, 2008, 05:10 AM
What i cant belive is dial up is still out there and also that there are highspeed bandwith resitrctions still which i think is stupid

Last I heard, half of internet subscribers in the US still use dial-up. But that could be old statistics. And, no, I don't miss that sound at all!

some_random_noob
April 17th, 2008, 06:10 AM
I'm still on a 30k connection here in NZ, sure youtube videos take hours to load but it works for me :)

As soon as my brother starts downloading something it cuts off my connection. Lol. We have very strict rules though, and a 5GB data cap so we usually don't bother ruining the bandwidth.

$40 a month is kind of a rip I guess...

EXCiD3
April 17th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Thanks for reminding me of the awesome internet i get to look forward to using every day once school gets out...:(

Pijits_1
April 17th, 2008, 06:38 AM
A nerds nails on chalkboard. I've always wondered why any sane person would have it so the machine made that sound (or attempted to have it not occur).

chewearn
April 17th, 2008, 07:12 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=461926

rulsky
April 17th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I remember about 5 years my wife got really upset the afternoon she found out about me spending almost $80 USD per month to get cable internet....I was using free netzero dial up.....after all the screaming and yelling ended I ask her to please try to load just one page. Long story short, this last time we moved and she found out the top downloading speed was 20mb she asked me to get the most expensive service...... :) it's worth it

:guitar::popcorn:

xpod
April 17th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Considering I used dial up until approximately 2.5 years ago, it still sounds too much like a nightmare to me

Considering i only sat down in front of a PC 2 years ago Cable BB is all i`ve ever really known.....late starter that i am:)

EDIT:

I remember about 5 years my wife got really upset the afternoon she found out about me spending almost $80 USD per month to get cable internet....I was using free netzero dial up.....after all the screaming and yelling ended I ask her to please try to load just one page. Long story short, this last time we moved and she found out the top downloading speed was 20mb she asked me to get the most expensive service...... it's worth it

Another VM user possibly?? :-)

herbster
April 17th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Oh man, I still remember going from my 14.4 to 33.6, it was blazing! Playing NHL 96 and Doom 2 on modem with my friend every night. There was nothing like hearing that wonderful sound and knowing you're in for some crazy fast 3k/sec fun! :D

And AOL was the bomb, just use the free 30 day trial dial-up (with about 4 billion free hours) and cancel, get them to send another CD and sign up again. Did that for about a year. Then moving up to cable and being able to have IRC in the background while still playing a game, and even surfing the web! Ah, good times.

john_spiral
April 17th, 2008, 09:46 PM
that sound gave me a warm fuzzy feeling (3 years on dialup helpdesk!)

hkgonra
April 17th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Haven't used dial-up since 1998 and I still can't stand the thought of even being near a computer using it !!!!!

kutjara
April 17th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Haven't used dial-up since 1998 and I still can't stand the thought of even being near a computer using it !!!!!

I hear ya! If I want a slow, unreliable, and annoying Internet experience, I'll just use EDGE on my cellphone. ;)

hkgonra
April 17th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I hear ya! If I want a slow, unreliable, and annoying Internet experience, I'll just use EDGE on my cellphone. ;)
G3 isn't much better.

Linkinxp
April 17th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Well guys I came from cuba 1 year and 2 months ago......guest what!! we use Dial Up and man!! I downloaded a lot of stuff when I was there, when I got here! was HEAVEN! lmao!! cheers and glad to be here .............. :)

kutjara
April 17th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Well guys i came from cuba 1 year and 2 months ago......guest what!! we use Dial Up and man!! i downloaded a lot of stuff when i was there, when i got here! was HEAVEN! lmao!! cheers and glad to be here .............. :)

Welcome! And I know how you feel. I was in Havana a few years back and Internet access (even for those of us allowed to use the connections in the International hotels) was painful. My journalist friends who had home connections used to say it would probably be easier to send a letter to the owners of the websites they wanted to access, asking if they'd just print off and mail the pages. :)

Linkinxp
April 17th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Welcome! And I know how you feel. I was in Havana a few years back and Internet access (even for those of us allowed to use the connections in the International hotels) was painful. My journalist friends who had home connections used to say it would probably be easier to send a letter to the owners of the websites they wanted to access, asking if they'd just print off and mail the pages. :)

Lol I know and I hope you enjoy your visit above all the troubles ..... as I said again glad to be here :D

days_of_ruin
April 17th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I am hearing it right now;_;

kutjara
April 17th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Lol I know and I hope you enjoy your visit above all the troubles ..... as I said again glad to be here :D

I did. Havana is a fantastic city, and the people I met were wonderful. Within an hour of meeting someone new, it was like I'd known them all my life. They opened their homes and their hearts and I can't remember when I had such a good time. Actually, I can't remember much at all. That Cuban rum is strooooong!

Linkinxp
April 18th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I did. Havana is a fantastic city, and the people I met were wonderful. Within an hour of meeting someone new, it was like I'd known them all my life. They opened their homes and their hearts and I can't remember when I had such a good time. Actually, I can't remember much at all. That Cuban rum is strooooong!

LMAO I know (even with my 19 years old) how strong it is , but I love it! ..... Cuba Libre, Mojito just to mention 2 drinks ;)

NJC
April 18th, 2008, 12:09 AM
>$40/month for a 1.5mbps connection in Vancouver BC ... too bleedin' expensive so I'm still using dialup.

I have high speed at work though. If I didn't, I'd be forced to get high speed at home too.

D-EJ915
April 18th, 2008, 01:32 AM
I have a Hayes external 2400 baud modem around here somewhere, you guys who started and ended with 56k had it made, lol.

jacob01
April 18th, 2008, 01:34 AM
that fricken sound sends shivers down my back eww such a bad sound :lolflag:

technobear
April 18th, 2008, 02:24 AM
ya well i still have to be on dialup.
andi didnt read the entire post but the pattern of the tones changes depending on the server youre dialing into. Different ISPs tones would sound slightly different. a friend of mine used to work at an isp in the modem days and demonstrated for me once.

Anyway, here is a day in the life for me in a multi platform network on dialup.
i have three machines, two windows and one linux. one of the two windows machines hosts the dialup. I RDP into that machine from the Linux box to dialup so i can use the shared internet on my ubuntu.

i cant wait for broadband!

Kingsley
April 18th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Oh God, I remember the dial-up sound and speed like it was yesterday.

I would like to send out a big F U to Netzero, AOL, Earthlink, Juno, PeoplePC, Bellsouth, and Netscape for their services back then.

tigerplug
April 18th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Its not so long ago for me!

I live in Ireland and broadband penetration is very poor here IMO.

Its not available in my area so I use a HSDPA modem at the moment. The modem is capable of 3.6mb/s (PEAKING)... but where I am located I usually have to use GPRS. Saying that though I can get 3G signals sometimes of about 1.2mb/s

One of the things that really gets to me though is the fact that the USB modem I use doesn't work with Linux. I generally end up running the modem on my iMac and then sharing the connection through the ethernet port using a crossover cable!

And you though Dial-up was bad! :P :)

swoll1980
April 18th, 2008, 06:09 AM
I still use my dial up sometime when the power goes out

malspa
April 18th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Still using dial-up, so I guess I'm still in the dark ages! I'm not complaining, though. Under $6 a month and no contract. Maybe I'll need a high-speed connection someday, but right now I'm happy to have my cash available for other things... Also, no cable tv bill here, either.

malspa
April 18th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Also, I have the sound turned off on my dial-up modem...

Midwest-Linux
April 18th, 2008, 06:18 AM
I was just watching a video on YouTube, and at the end it had the sound of a dial up modem connecting to the internet. Maybe I'm just a little bit crazy, as I know how annoyingly slow it was, but does anyone else really miss that sound?

:popcorn:

It brings back memories of AOL back in the late 90's, and AOL in general with its chat rooms and various communities. it also brings back memories of Compuserve with its number IDs.

I think mine started out with 103XXXXX. Kind of remember someone telling me that the 103 was supposed to be for subs in Europe, but Compuserve ran out of numbers. This was around late 95 and early 96. I think I ran Windows 3.11 for workgroups. The modem might have been a 14.4 kps.

Its been a long time. Compuserve was the first to have a flat rate per month, where as AOL had a per hour charge.

I also remember busy signals and some difficulty to log on sometimes at night.

Since most of us were used to slow speeds and all we did was chat or did some surfing, we didn't notice how slow it was. Dial up had its place, just like Windows did in the late 1990's to the early 2000's.

You know there are some people collecting those AOL install discs as collectors items...I know I seen them on E-Bay. I saw one of the first AOL install discs on floppy there selling for under $5.00 some time ago.

NJC
April 18th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I would like to send out a big F U to Netzero, AOL, Earthlink, Juno, PeoplePC, Bellsouth, and Netscape for their services back then.

:lolflag:

How true.

mowque
April 19th, 2008, 12:47 AM
everyday....everyday