PDA

View Full Version : seamonkey any good?

Riffer
April 17th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Just wondering if seamonkey is good as a wysiwyg web page editor?

LaRoza
April 17th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Just wondering if seamonkey is good as a wysiwyg web page editor?

"good" and "wysiwyg" in same sentence...must...resist...

Try it and find out if you like it.

Riffer
April 17th, 2008, 12:35 AM
LMAO. Yeah point taken.

I guess my question is how does it stack up to lets say DreamWeaver?

LaRoza
April 17th, 2008, 12:39 AM
LMAO. Yeah point taken.

I guess my question is how does it stack up to lets say DreamWeaver?

DreamWeaver isn't free or available for Linux so I never used it.

From what I have seen of DreamWeaver, notepad is better.

You should try it out, as this is a personal choice.

kerry_s
April 17th, 2008, 12:51 AM
i agree just try it, it has the standard features, might be all you need.

LaRoza
April 17th, 2008, 12:53 AM
I just installed and tried it, it seems to be pretty good.

Chilli Bob
April 17th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Seamonkey is a handy tool for simple stuff, but not as full featured as Bluefish or Komposer/NVU. I use it a bit in Puppy and it suits my needs. I do general set out in WYSIWYG, then tidy it up at the HTML level. I wouldn't use it for a major project though.

kerry_s
April 17th, 2008, 01:35 AM
I just installed and tried it, it seems to be pretty good.

try youtube with seamonkey, while you have it, it's the main reason i switched, it has flawless flash.

Chilli Bob
April 17th, 2008, 01:40 AM
try youtube with seamonkey, while you have it, it's the main reason i switched, it has flawless flash.

Agreed. I've all but given up on Firefox in Linux. I use Seamonkey in Puppy, and Epiphany in Ubuntu and they never crash.

kerry_s
April 17th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Agreed. I've all but given up on Firefox in Linux. I use Seamonkey in Puppy, and Epiphany in Ubuntu and they never crash.

i know exactly what you mean, i'm so happy i can listen to music and have several tabs while i browse, with out my cpu being maxed out at 100%. i use iceape-browser in debian, which is just the browser and composer. it was so worth the switch.

SunnyRabbiera
April 17th, 2008, 02:14 AM
for the web editor you can use kompozer, its actually better then the HTML editor in seamonkey as thats an older version of the same software.

Riffer
April 17th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Thanks thats the sort of info I need.

I'm not a web designer so I needed others opinions regarding wysiwyg editors. I'm just a teacher who is doing the uphill battle of trying to get FOSS into the schools. The so called standard for us is "DreamWeaver", which at perhaps $300 a copy times 32 copies in my school alone.... well I think you can see the point.

My big thing right now is my district is upgrading to MSOffice 2007 at $60 a copy, every computer will have a copy. We're talking about thousands of computers. Why not Open Office? You'll hear ever excuse under the sun.

So thanks again for the info. I'll check out NVU and Kompozer.

TeraDyne
April 17th, 2008, 02:31 AM
I use Seamonkey for all of my web browsing\email\web development. I love it. Doesn't kill my CPU, and it works just as well as Firefox.

SunnyRabbiera
April 17th, 2008, 02:32 AM

I'm not a web designer so I needed others opinions regarding wysiwyg editors. I'm just a teacher who is doing the uphill battle of trying to get FOSS into the schools. The so called standard for us is "DreamWeaver", which at perhaps $300 a copy times 32 copies in my school alone.... well I think you can see the point.

My big thing right now is my district is upgrading to MSOffice 2007 at $60 a copy, every computer will have a copy. We're talking about thousands of computers. Why not Open Office? You'll hear ever excuse under the sun.

Just try Kompozer, NVU is dead

ad_267
April 17th, 2008, 02:38 AM
This gives a good overview of NVU, KompoZer and SeaMonkey editor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Composer

madjr
April 17th, 2008, 05:21 AM

Am also a computer teacher and you should do as i did :)

Install Openoffice on everyone of their PCs regardless if they have ms office or not, thats the advantage of it being free and small in size.

Make it save in .doc format by default and no one will even know the difference.

You can even make it default to open all documents.

Once they start seeing OOo is just as good, they might even reconsider (But am sure some people there must be after the money regardless)

And remember to give free copies to the kids.

OOo 2.4 is really good with many improvements over 2.3 and loads faster. Theres also an OOXML plugin available if you need it.

and yea kompozer is a good choice. If they need to create SVG graphics remember Inkscape too :)