PDA

View Full Version : Why are linux magazines so expensive?

jhorto1
April 16th, 2008, 11:49 PM
I've just started reading a few linux magazines from the news stand. My favorite magazines are extremely expensive, so I thought I'd save some money and subscribe.
Bad idea. My favorite is Linux Format magazine and it's from the UK, so it's nearly $180 a year. Understandable because of the shipping. Also I know that unlike in the U.S. where a $5.99 news stand priced mag will be around $24.99 a year, In the UK and Ireland you get practically no savings from subscribing to a magazine. I've seen some magazines in Ireland that are say 5.99 Euro in the shop and the subscription card inside asks for 70 Euro a year. What a deal.

My second favorite is Linux Pro Magazine and that one is $99 a year too! The no-dvd version is $85!! This one seems to be a U.S. magazine because the price is in dollars on the front.
A U.S. based magazine shouldn't be so outrageously priced.

These are some fantastic magazines, but I can't justify spending so much for a magazine.

What's up with the high prices?

Mazza558
April 16th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Not many people buy them so companies need to charge more to stay afloat.

LaRoza
April 16th, 2008, 11:52 PM
I am not sure, but when I read them on the stand, they had much more information than the PCWorld and Windows magazines.

(Also, Linux is free, perhaps the mags are a source of income)

aysiu
April 17th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Not many people buy them so companies need to charge more to stay afloat.
Economies of scale.

If you have a smaller print run, you pay more per copy you print. Also, if your circulation isn't as big as other magazines, you can't charge as much for advertisements.

smoker
April 17th, 2008, 12:10 AM
i must admit, i haven't bought a magazine, or even a newspaper, for years. i get most of my news from my broadband connection (couldn't live without it, i suppose now!).

most of these magazines have a web page where you can browse at least some of what is in each issue, haven't tried the mags you mentioned, but may be worth a look at their sites,

Foster Grant
April 17th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Economies of scale.

If you have a smaller print run, you pay more per copy you print. Also, if your circulation isn't as big as other magazines, you can't charge as much for advertisements.

This is part of it. The fact that most of the Linux magazines with discs are imports is another factor.

I really wish Future US would bring back Maximum Linux. That was a good publication.

jflaker
April 17th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I had a few periodicals I was getting. At some point they insisted on having my email address (which I never gave them until they insisted) before they would renew. So I updated my info with them.

The following run, which started in January was COMPLETELY DIGITAL. I love the digital version........ I can save it and it never clutters my computer desk only to be thrown out........When I finally decide to get rid of it, I never need to bring it to recycling......I just erase it from my disk.

arvevans
April 17th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Linux periodical publications (magazines) might be expensive because most of us get our Linux info here on the Ubuntu Forum, with the result that they don't sell many magazines. If they don't sell many magazines, then economy-of-scale doesn't happen and the purchase price is high. Paper publications have to be shipped, but digital information is delivered essentially for free assuming that you would already have and maintain Internet access anyway.

Newspapers are seeing much the same situation in the more industrialized countries. Book sales are also down (prices are up).

I get my electrical engineering oriented technical publications in digital form. I read local and world news via Internet because I can read it when I want to, and not just watch it when it is on TV or listen when it is on the radio. It is a matter of convenience, availability, cost, and scope of information.

Now might not be a good time to own or work for a publishing company...?

_._

Mazza558
April 17th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Another reason might be that Linux users are often net-savvy too. If you're a Linux user and need to buy a magazine to get your news, you're doing it wrong.

regomodo
April 17th, 2008, 12:47 AM
this is the main reason i don't buy them. I bought one (Linux Format), as i was feeling flush, but for £7 i felt robbed after reading it.

I'd like to support Linux in buying a magazine but after my experience (albeit very brief) i can't justify the cost.

el_ricardo
April 17th, 2008, 01:17 AM
I occasionally by linux format, but i think they're so expensive because so few people buy them, even out of the linux community as a whole i bet only a small percentage buy them, because it's community driven, people (from the end user down to the developer) chat about new stuff on the forums, IRC, and blogs. a magazine isn't really needed tbh

odiseo77
April 17th, 2008, 02:06 AM
I used to buy linux magazines in the past, when I started using linux, until I discovered I could find almost everything linux-related on internet (guides, tutorials, tips and tricks, news, etc.).

Foster Grant
April 17th, 2008, 02:09 AM
I used to buy linux magazines in the past, when I started using linux, until I discovered I could find almost everything linux-related on internet (guides, tutorials, tips and tricks, news, etc.).

That's the thing — you have to go find it and you have to decide if you can trust it. With a mag, it's right there and organized by professionals.

(And besides ... magazines are easier to handle on the toilet. :) )

jhorto1
April 17th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Another reason might be that Linux users are often net-savvy too. If you're a Linux user and need to buy a magazine to get your news, you're doing it wrong.

I'm not doing anything wrong.
I just prefer my news in different formats for different situations. I definitely would say that I get most of my linux related news/tips online. Sometimes I like to have it in print form. For instance, on long subway rides I prefer a magazine because I can sometimes finish a mag in one trip and throw it out when I get to my destination. It's much better than lugging a laptop around with me, especially if I'm on my way to a football game or a bar.
Of course I won't mention the other obvious place I prefer to read my magazines.

EdThaSlayer
April 17th, 2008, 04:24 AM
I think that Linux magazines have less "ads" in them. With my two copies of Linux Format I rarely see an ad here and there compared to my copy of PC Gamer which has one page ads every two pages or so.

Foster Grant
April 17th, 2008, 04:30 AM
I think that Linux magazines have less "ads" in them. With my two copies of Linux Format I rarely see an ad here and there compared to my copy of PC Gamer which has one page ads every two pages or so.

Speaking as someone who spent over a decade in the publishing industry ... that's not good at all. Subscriptions and single-copy sales are a drop in the bucket — the bulk of the revenue comes from advertising.

It's wonderful if you're a reader because you get a high signal-to-noise ratio. But if your name is in the staff box there, you worry. You don't make long-term plans. And you wait for the other shoe to fall, usually on your head.

rajeev1204
April 17th, 2008, 07:50 AM
http://www.lfymag.com/index.asp?id=13

Try that magazine. Will probably save u a few dollars.Its from india.

M_the_C
April 17th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Economies of scale.

If you have a smaller print run, you pay more per copy you print. Also, if your circulation isn't as big as other magazines, you can't charge as much for advertisements.Sadly it's a downward spiral. I would buy a Linux magazine if there was a reasonably priced one,but there aren't so I don't buy any, therefore the price goes up and then other people don't buy one. :(

jhorto1
April 17th, 2008, 12:32 PM
It does seem to be a bad move to price the magazines so high. I still buy them from a news stand as a treat for myself once in a while. The price in the shop is $16.99 for the Linux Format magazine so I really have to think about the purchase. It's funny when I have to start putting as much thought into a magazine purchase as a DVD movie or computer game purchase.
I can't see spending $100 a year on them when all of my other magazines (some with DVDs) are $25 to $30 a year. Linux Journal is reasonable, but it just doesn't have the articles that interest me.

Priced that high, very few will subscribe and they'll be able to get even less money from advertising. It's a tough business.

Foster Grant
April 17th, 2008, 03:47 PM
It does seem to be a bad move to price the magazines so high. I still buy them from a news stand as a treat for myself once in a while. The price in the shop is $16.99 for the Linux Format magazine so I really have to think about the purchase. It's funny when I have to start putting as much thought into a magazine purchase as a DVD movie or computer game purchase.
I can't see spending $100 a year on them when all of my other magazines (some with DVDs) are $25 to $30 a year. Linux Journal is reasonable, but it just doesn't have the articles that interest me.

Priced that high, very few will subscribe and they'll be able to get even less money from advertising. It's a tough business.

Linux Format is an import from the UK. The extra expense to have it shipped trans-Atlantic to the magazine merchandiser is passed on to the newsstand customer..

Lostincyberspace
April 17th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Linux journal is $24.99 in digital form so no shiping andI get it and love it. Also get acces to all of the past issues for no extra charge.

Here is the subscription page
https://secure.linuxjournal.com/allsubs/dlj.php?action=new-sub

jrusso2
April 17th, 2008, 05:12 PM
This is part of it. The fact that most of the Linux magazines with discs are imports is another factor.

I really wish Future US would bring back Maximum Linux. That was a good publication.

Agreed I loved Maximum Linux and used to read that every month. Now I only buy Linux Format when I got a bit extra cash or there is a DVD I want like the Mandriva Power Pack.

TeraDyne
April 17th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Linux journal is $24.99 in digital form so no shiping andI get it and love it. Also get acces to all of the past issues for no extra charge.

Here is the subscription page
https://secure.linuxjournal.com/allsubs/dlj.php?action=new-sub

They're also the most awesome of the Linux magazines out there.

tbrminsanity
April 17th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Is there a good Linux mag out there with demo CDs attached to it. I sometimes buy PC Gamer if they have a demo Cd that apeals to me.

aysiu
April 17th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Is there a good Linux mag out there with demo CDs attached to it. I sometimes buy PC Gamer if they have a demo Cd that apeals to me.
Linux Format includes demo DVDs. Of course, as you can tell from the subject of this thread, it's expensive.

tbrminsanity
April 17th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Of course, as you can tell from the subject of this thread, it's expensive.

That is ok if I only buy it from time to time. I will have to look to see if I can get it here.

Dixon Bainbridge
April 17th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I've just started reading a few linux magazines from the news stand. My favorite magazines are extremely expensive, so I thought I'd save some money and subscribe.
Bad idea. My favorite is Linux Format magazine and it's from the UK, so it's nearly $180 a year. Understandable because of the shipping. Also I know that unlike in the U.S. where a $5.99 news stand priced mag will be around $24.99 a year, In the UK and Ireland you get practically no savings from subscribing to a magazine. I've seen some magazines in Ireland that are say 5.99 Euro in the shop and the subscription card inside asks for 70 Euro a year. What a deal.

My second favorite is Linux Pro Magazine and that one is $99 a year too! The no-dvd version is $85!! This one seems to be a U.S. magazine because the price is in dollars on the front.
A U.S. based magazine shouldn't be so outrageously priced.

These are some fantastic magazines, but I can't justify spending so much for a magazine.

What's up with the high prices?

The short answer is: because nobody reads them. Print media is dead. Whats the point when I can access the internet from just about anywhere?

TeraDyne
April 17th, 2008, 08:50 PM
The short answer is: because nobody reads them. Print media is dead. Whats the point when I can access the internet from just about anywhere?

You're wrong. I'm currently reading a copy of the April 08 issue of Linux Journal. Therefore, SOMEBODY is reading them.

aysiu
April 17th, 2008, 08:52 PM
You're wrong. I'm currently reading a copy of the April 08 issue of Linux Journal. Therefore, SOMEBODY is reading them.
Nobody, in this instance, was intended as hyperbole. It wasn't meant to be taken literally.

Blessed are the cheesemakers.

TeraDyne
April 17th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Nobody, in this instance, was intended as hyperbole. It wasn't meant to be taken literally.

I know. I just like making fun of people who use those kinds of statements. It's quite enjoyable. ^_^

AaronMT
April 17th, 2008, 10:36 PM
As an alternative cheap magazine you might like, try out 2600.

www.2600.org

My favorite quarterly.

jhorto1
April 17th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I DO like 2600 magazine, but I don't really consider it a linux magazine. Good read though.

jhorto1
April 17th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Linux Format is an import from the UK. The extra expense to have it shipped trans-Atlantic to the magazine merchandiser is passed on to the newsstand customer..

If you see my original post, I acknowledge the shipping cost factor.

It's a real shame too because so far it's my favorite linux magazine.
I'm not a big fan of linux journal. It's ok,

If what everyone is saying about small print runs causing them to raise prices higher, I think it's a really bad business model. How will you ever get more readers with such high prices. Like I said before though, what's the alternative? Print media seems to have it bad all around.

Dixon Bainbridge
April 21st, 2008, 09:39 PM
I know. I just like making fun of people who use those kinds of statements. It's quite enjoyable. ^_^

Magazine circulations have decreased in the UK year on year across all the print media. Newspaper sales are declining also. Its why magazines cost the price of a paperback now. Soon, a great deal will be unviable. Future Publishing axed a whole raft of titles and merged staff back in the 1990's. I've not bought a magazine for years and I used to read 4 or 5 a month. Of course I made a generalisation, but circulation figures dont lie.

svamppi
April 25th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I've made one important observation about the price of the linux magazines at least here in Finland. The cheapest magazine (I think it's Linux Journal IIRC) does NOT have a CD/DVD. I think it costs around 7-8 euros which is all right with me. But the other ones that have useless DVDs or CDs full of stuff I can get for free online cost at least 15 euros. I am NEVER going to buy one of these magazines. I do remember buying that DVD-less mag once and read it on a long train trip and felt it included some nice articles (I think it was the ruby/rails issue from last year) I like the programming articles the most. Not too interested in hardware and system administration/security stuff.

steevc
April 25th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I very rarely buy computer magazines as I get my information on-line. Mind you, I bought hundreds in my youth when there was no internet.

I'm sure I read ages ago that something like Computer Shopper might cost UKP12 to print, but could sell for UKP2 as it was funded by the massive advertising. Most Linux mags don't have very much advertising and so you have to pay the real cost.

With Linux there is very little software they can put on a cover disk that is not available on-line. I see Linux Magazine in the UK offers a cheaper subscription with no DVD, but I don't think you can buy single issues like that. If you could and it cost UKP3 then I might buy it sometimes.

It does seem that in some fields magazine publishing is endangered, but on the other hand there seem to be more different publications than ever before, so someone is buying them.

mshiva
April 25th, 2008, 11:04 AM
http://www.lfymag.com/index.asp?id=13

Try that magazine. Will probably save u a few dollars.Its from india.

it costs $100 per year, not really cheap.