chris_x1
April 16th, 2008, 05:41 PM
ubuntu is the best distro...

rudihawk
April 16th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Welcome to the realm of linux!

bigbrovar
April 16th, 2008, 06:22 PM
believe me i know how u feel .. i felt that way too last year when i started Buntuing

Google Spider
April 16th, 2008, 06:24 PM
....that's great! But you did all that without the help of forums? (Beans: 2)

prshah
April 16th, 2008, 06:25 PM
PS. the fear of incompatibility with other windows users has become insignificant but i
keep my storage partitions in fat32 for remote access, not sure i need to though.

Nope no need to keep FAT32 which is crippled by design in XP; though FAT32 supports partitions greater than 32Gb, XP simply doesn't allow you to create them! You can create larger FAT32 partition through 3rd party utilities, though... academic, in any case.

LaRoza
April 16th, 2008, 06:26 PM
PS. the fear of incompatibility with other windows users has become insignificant but i
keep my storage partitions in fat32 for remote access, not sure i need to though.

NTFS works out the box with Ubuntu 7.10.

chris_x1
April 16th, 2008, 08:56 PM
:)

madjr
April 17th, 2008, 03:43 AM

i started dual booting with linux about 18months ago. I tryed several different distros
including ubuntu (preferred kubuntu at the time) and generally wasn't too pleased about stuff like
the root PW, non free codecs hunting, ntfs r/w..and others, you know, like most XP users are!
but i learned quite a bit about the whole process in the meantime.

all that kind of fizzled out after a while and i went back to a single boot XP for
one reason or another.

a couple of weeks ago i decided to try linux again, and to my delight the newer releases
have even more ability out of the box and are very simple to configure, i ended up preferring
ubuntu (like the majority of linuxers it seems). i think the final straw was when i managed
to get the 3D desktop working, i thought "this is awesome!!!" it even has more "WOW" than
XP now, not that i really need 3D but it just demonstrated how developed linux desktop is
today even compared to ,say, vista.

a couple of days ago i just replaced the XP on my main drive with ubuntu and
I'm pretty chuffed that i am finally able to do so, thanks ubuntu guys! (and everyone else)

just wanted to share this..

awesome :)

right now XP looks extremely outdated for me and just by using it i feel unsafe and awkward now. It's like i can feel the spyware or malware everytime i type a password... really weird, maybe it's because i feel so safe using Ubuntu.

Ubuntu just keeps getting better with time.

Oh and the 3D effects are not the only thing pretty, you can really create awesome desktops like:

http://www.franticblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/awn.jpg

am also trying hardy and looks really good :)

oh and welcome to the forums :guitar:

piousp
April 17th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Welcome aboard! ;)

clairegrrl
April 17th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I have to say that Im so new to all of this. About a month ago, I got one on those Asus eee pcs as my backpack lappy. It runs Xandros. I fooled with it and my screenshot is here.

After playing around with it, I loaded Ubuntu 7.1 to my puter at home, cause Norton AV was giving me trouble cause it wanted more money to stay alive. When I loaded Ubuntu, I wiped XP from my drive. I have to say, I feel very liberated. The thing that scares me, is learning what to do now. That's why Im here :)

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/eeepics_album/snapshot1.png

chris_x1
April 23rd, 2008, 05:41 PM