PDA

View Full Version : web Ubuntu

Bölvağur
April 16th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I was wondering why Ubuntu wouldn't be able to integrate with eyeOS, YouOS, G.ho.st, Desktop Two..... Browser OS... or any other webbased OS.
It would only need some people to be willing to host few hundred gb for people and have their bandwidth clogged up all the time... like.. later time problem :)

My vision was something in the general direction at this:

You can use your Ubuntu like you normally do now. But are able to upload your documents on your webUbuntu.
WebUbuntu would be like YouOS where you just log in from your browser to your desktop (or that is how it would look like to people).
So I guess it could be viewed as a backup system which you can access and work on from any given location that has internet access and good connection.

I know you could have your computer always on at home and just use remote desktop.. if the computer that you are going to be using has required software for it.
But that is the point. At my university I cannot access my data I use for classes unless I send them via E-mail. And that isn't the best way because the software I am developing for school doesn't run without help (if at all) at my university's computers.

I was supposed to have a briefing about my prototype, but I wasn't able to show the prototype so I had to rely on low-fi (paper prototype) from pdf files. I would really just want to log into my webUbuntu and be able to do everything from there like at home without any fuss at all.

Does anyone like that idea and want to improve it?

Bölvağur
April 18th, 2008, 12:38 AM
*bump*

Can anyone comment on it. I take any comment at all, including "I don't have an opinion".

I'm just going to abandon this idea if no one is even commenting on it. If some one would say it is total sh1tey of an idea then I should make Wanda the fish 2.0 or something else.... just thought it was brilliant imho

paul101
April 18th, 2008, 12:47 AM
ive been looking for something like this :)

i was using test drive linux (http://www.nomachine.com/testdrive.php) works under your web browser and is OpenSuse

qamelian
April 18th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Your "webUbuntu" idea is already in the works from Gael Duval, the fellow who founded Mandrake Linux. His new project is called Ulteo and it combines a locally installed distro and an online desktop and storage (for a subscription fee). I've been testing the distro and the only desktop for about a year. It looks really promising, but the online portion needs to resolve some speed issues before I would consider using it. You can find out more at: http://www.ulteo.com/home/en/home?autolang=en

init1
April 18th, 2008, 02:14 AM
There's something called Desktop on Demand that allows you to connect to a desktop using a java applet. It was free for a while, but you have to subscribe now.
There's also Cosmopod (still free last time I checked) but it has ads.
Maybe a server like one of those could be set up.
www.desktopondemand.com
www.cosmopod.com