PDA

View Full Version : AMD Pushing it? moveamd.com

qewl
October 14th, 2005, 07:03 AM
I was Austin not too long ago and ran into a large-scale protest handing out flyers and posted flags with "moveamd.com" where AMD Ceo Ruiz apparently wants to do some massive construction on a seemingly environmentally sacred place. If it's all true, it would be very offensive to me as I have been a AMD loyalist for many years. I was just wondering if anyone knew much about this or the www.moveamd.com website? I couldn't really extract too much informathion from the website, so I can't call AMD out just yet. But I sure don't like the sound of things.

Anyone here know quite anything about this project?? I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news..

zenwhen
October 14th, 2005, 11:54 AM
I would also really need to know more than what just one source with an obvious agenda has to say before making a judgement here.

drizek
October 15th, 2005, 12:18 AM
i dont understand how you say they have an obvious agenda. they are not anti-amd fanboys or anything, they are just environmentalists. their agenda is to improve the environment, not hurt amd. so if they didnt truly feel that amd's move would be negative for the environment, then why would they be protesting it?

vayu
October 15th, 2005, 07:16 AM
i dont understand how you say they have an obvious agenda. they are not anti-amd fanboys or anything, they are just environmentalists. their agenda is to improve the environment, not hurt amd. so if they didnt truly feel that amd's move would be negative for the environment, then why would they be protesting it?

Hell Yeah! I signed the petition and sent the email to their list of AMD corporate officers. I basically told them I want an alternative to the selfish nature of Win-Tel, please respect the community.

I was about to buy my first non-Intel based processor. I'm feeling fed up with the selfish and downright evil nature of monopolistic corporate dominance in our society and want AMD to be part of an alternative to that. I didn't tell them that along with AMD, Linux is also part of that plan for me. I probably should have.

Lovechild
October 15th, 2005, 01:12 PM

Yes and environmentalists are the same people who want us to do pointless things like recycle paper, which is more harmful to the environment than making new paper. Don't get me wrong I'm all for protecting the environment, but in a responsible and informed way.

zenwhen
October 15th, 2005, 03:34 PM

As I stated, they have an agenda. An agenda you agree with doesn't instantly stop being an agenda.

Taking your information on a topic from one side and making a decision is generally a bad idea.

drizek
October 15th, 2005, 04:29 PM
i never said they didnt have an agenda at all. of course they have an agenda, they are protesting! what i meant in my previous post was that this isnt some sort of conspiracy. they arent getting payed by intel to do this or anything.

the other side of the argument is amd. for amd, and most other companies, money>the environment. no company truly cares about the people or the environment. all the ones that say they do only do it because its good publicity.

unless the website is just outright lying, i dont see how amd could justify doing something like this.

mstlyevil
October 15th, 2005, 04:52 PM
If you are that enviroment concious you need to quit buying computers altogether. Do you know how many hazardous chemicals it takes to make one processor? I used to work for a company that purified and packaged chemicals for the making of computer chips and circuit boards. We sold to Intel,AMD,Motorola,Honeywell and a few others. They use hydrocloric acid,hydrofloric acid, 33% hydrogen peroxide,nitric acid, acetic acid, not to mention several ammonia based products and then theres the photogentic chemicals. They have to dispose of those chemicals somewhere. Enviromentalist view everywhere as a enviromentally sacred place so what is your fuss with AMD? If you really care about the enviroment you should boycott modern society and move to the woods and live like the animals.

drizek
October 15th, 2005, 05:10 PM
If you are that enviroment concious you need to quit buying computers altogether. Do you know how many hazardous chemicals it takes to make one processor? I used to work for a company that purified and packaged chemicals for the making of computer chips and circuit boards. We sold to Intel,AMD,Motorola,Honeywell and a few others. They use hydrocloric acid,hydrofloric acid, 33% hydrogen peroxide,nitric acid, acetic acid, not to mention several ammonia based products and then theres the photogentic chemicals. They have to dispose of those chemicals somewhere. Enviromentalist view everywhere as a enviromentally sacred place so what is your fuss with AMD? If you really care about the enviroment you should boycott modern society and move to the woods and live like the animals.

yes, i know how bad computers are for the environment. they use tons of energy and water to produce chips. the worst part is that southern states give subsidies to chipmakers so theyll have mroe industry. now they are using tons and tons of water to produce chips in some of the driest places in teh country. totally retarded IMO.

mstlyevil
October 15th, 2005, 05:13 PM
That is why chipmakers need to find new ways to make chips that are more enviromentaly sound. It is a very dangerous process and a spill at a Fab plant could be disasterous for the enviroment.

Adrian
October 15th, 2005, 06:30 PM

"That environment concious"? I bet there are plenty of other places they can move to, which are not fragile watersheds. You don't have many of those in Texas, do you? I don't think being against this is extreme in any way. Rather, I think it is common sense...

Regarding the rest of your post, buying ISO 14001 certified hardware (sold by for instance Fujitsu Siemens) is to me more reasonable than boycotting modern society to live "like the animals". Everything is not black or white. Like always, it's all about finding the right balance. "Many a little makes a mickle".

mstlyevil
October 15th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Who says Texas does not have many watersheds? Before you make up your mind, why don't you go to Texas and find out the state is full of watersheds. It is someones opinion that they are building in a fragile area. The laws on building on wetlands would prohibit them from building on the site if it was a fragile watershed. Also it is private land and they have a right to build on it as long as it does not violate any federal or state laws. I think it is being extremist and that you just have to take those people with a grain of salt.

mstlyevil
October 15th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Oh and by the way ISO 14001 is a joke. When the auditors are not lookin, no one is fully following guidelines. I have first hand experience with this.

qewl
October 15th, 2005, 07:26 PM
"That environment concious"? I bet there are plenty of other places they can move to, which are not fragile watersheds. You don't have many of those in Texas, do you? I don't think being against this is extreme in any way. Rather, I think it is common sense...

I think I'm going to have to agree here. Austin certainly doesn't have many watersheds and I was there for a concert. From what I personally saw it was a very ecological and fertile place compared to surrounding areas. Ouncountable trees compared to most of the rest of the city as very dry. From what I gathered, if AMD does want to build there I would be offended, as there are very rural (easily buildable) areas very nearby.

Adrian
October 15th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Oh and by the way ISO 14001 is a joke. When the auditors are not lookin, no one is fully following guidelines. I have first hand experience with this.

You may very well be right about that. I have no experience of how this is handled in practice. However, by buying certified products at least you support the idea. If everyone started buying ISO 14001 certified hardware, better routines and certifications would be developed quickly.

In a market economy, it is the consumers' responsibility to support products that represent their beliefs. As I said above, many small brooks will form a big river. The power of the consumer is not to be underestimated :)

Teroedni
October 15th, 2005, 10:13 PM
I have to agree with You Adrian:D
We have the power to influence
I actually did not know about this iso 14001 standard :o

So it is only whole computers or is it being applied to computer parts too?
Me going to check next time i buy ;)

mstlyevil
October 15th, 2005, 11:48 PM
Iso 14001 is more about manufacturing quality then enviromental quality. In a idea world, a Iso 14001 certified company only makes products of the highest standard. It is kind of like the good housekeeping seal in that they have a quality expectation. But if you ever buy a car from let's say Ford, that Iso standard did not prevent you from getting that recall letter. It can help the enviroment because the procedures to dispose of chemicals is well defined and everyone is trained in how to do so legally and safely. My experience is that Iso works abour 60-70 percent of the time. People are still people and they still do things when their backs are turned. I believe tha AMD is also Iso certified, but I do not know which standard they are certified at.