PDA

View Full Version : Cellphone in Microwave Question

JohnSearle
April 16th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I've heard at some point that you can test the protection of your microwave using a cellphone. Basically the microwave is supposed to block microwaves (which is the cellphone use), so putting your cellphone into the microwave and calling it should yield no results.

Does anyone know if this works? Has anyone else tried doing this?

I'm a little paranoid, because my microwave sounds funny, and the sound seems to be getting worse. I've tried the cellphone in the microwave thing, and the cellphone seems to get the call. So I would like to know if this test is just an urban myth, or whether I should actually start worrying.

If someone wants to try testing this out and posting the results, that would be cool :)

EDIT: Please don't turn on your microwave if you put your cellphone in it... but if you do, then please post pictures.

- John

Nunu
April 16th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Mythbusters hehe

Urm do you need to turn the microwave on when you test this theory... cause my phone is very hot and doesn't want to work... I like that black screen though it looks wicked.

JohnSearle
April 16th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Mythbusters hehe

Urm do you need to turn the microwave on when you test this theory... cause my phone is very hot and doesn't want to work... I like that black screen though it looks wicked.

heh. Yeah I should put a disclaimer in there. I recommend not turning on your microwave during the experiment.

- John

Growbag
April 16th, 2008, 10:12 AM
lol

It sounds technically correct, you should get NO signal to/from the phone when it is inside the µWave with the door closed.

DO NOT turn the µWave on, or you will destroy your phone!!!

If your oven is making noise, try removing the plastic cover from the µWave transmitter head (usually a small square plastic cover inside the µWave oven) and give it a good clean on both sides.

They start making noise when there is any food (...or dead cockroaches if you are a student!!) sticking to it because some of the µWave energy is being bounced back at the Xmitter (bad!).#

Or it could be the platter rotation mechanism, they wear out after a while = new belt.

If you are technically apt, remove the cover and check the connections to the big capacitor, sometimes they come loose and start arcing. Give them a good clean with emery paper or a small file, then adjust the commectors with a pair of pliers so they fit tighter.

I've fixed a few with that method :)

So give the entire oven a good clean, it might fix it :)

Nunu
April 16th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Just notice my phone won't flip open... I wonder if my insurance will cover this little oops LMFAO!!!!!

JohnSearle
April 16th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Just notice my phone won't flip open... I wonder if my insurance will cover this little oops LMFAO!!!!!

I hope your not serious :lolflag:

lol

It sounds technically correct, you should get NO signal to/from the phone when it is inside the µWave with the door closed.

DO NOT turn the µWave on, or you will destroy your phone!!!

If your oven is making noise, try removing the plastic cover from the µWave transmitter head (usually a small square plastic cover inside the µWave oven) and give it a good clean on both sides.

They start making noise when there is any food (...or dead cockroaches if you are a student!!) sticking to it because some of the µWave energy is being bounced back at the Xmitter (bad!).#

Or it could be the platter rotation mechanism, they wear out after a while = new belt.

If you are technically apt, remove the cover and check the connections to the big capacitor, sometimes they come loose and start arcing. Give them a good clean with emery paper or a small file, then adjust the commectors with a pair of pliers so they fit tighter.

I've fixed a few with that method :)

So give the entire oven a good clean, it might fix it :)

Well my microwave is only about 2 - 3 months old, so I doubt its dirty. It's the cheapest LG microwave we could find, and it doesn't look like it's properly constructed though. I would look into the warranty for the thing, but with access to only public transit, it's a pain to travel into town holding a microwave.

So the verdict is that my microwave is not protecting me properly, and is probably frying my brain whilst heating my coffee. :(

- John

Nunu
April 16th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I hope your not serious :lolflag:

unfortunately yes. but it wasn't a ID10T problem, i just wanted to see what would happen LMFAO... Guess myth busted Cell phones wont protected you from nuclear radiation.

ssam
April 16th, 2008, 12:17 PM
any shielding will only attenuate the microwaves. eg it might reduce the intensity by a factor or 2 or 8 or 100. the amount of attenuation will also depend on the frequency. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_depth

according to wikipedia, ovens are at 2.45GHz, and phones are between 0.8 and 2 GHz (higher for 3G).

so how much do you need to attenuate the microwaves from your oven to make it safe? and how much do you need to attenuate the signal from the phone mast to not get reception?

chucky chuckaluck
April 16th, 2008, 12:34 PM
side note: i know someone whose parakeet can detect police radar. the bird starts doing a weird chirp that gets faster the closer they get to the cop.

JohnSearle
April 16th, 2008, 12:58 PM
any shielding will only attenuate the microwaves. eg it might reduce the intensity by a factor or 2 or 8 or 100. the amount of attenuation will also depend on the frequency. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_depth

according to wikipedia, ovens are at 2.45GHz, and phones are between 0.8 and 2 GHz (higher for 3G).

so how much do you need to attenuate the microwaves from your oven to make it safe? and how much do you need to attenuate the signal from the phone mast to not get reception?

hmmm... so it could just be a noise, such as something slightly loose, and I may not be frying my brain.

side note: i know someone whose parakeet can detect police radar. the bird starts doing a weird chirp that gets faster the closer they get to the cop.

That's very cool. Isn't it illegal to have a radar detector, though? I wonder if those laws extend to birds.

- John

aimran
April 16th, 2008, 01:02 PM

I guess the perforations on the microwave door is small enough to block the oven frequency but not the cellphone frequency? :S

chewearn
April 16th, 2008, 01:54 PM
hmmm... so it could just be a noise, such as something slightly loose, and I may not be frying my brain.

The microwave oven frequency is same as the wifi-b/g, so a better test is to use those. If you have a cellphone with wifi, you can stick that in the microwave instead. Else, put your wifi AP near the microwave, turn on the microwave and if you get drastic interference to your wifi, then there is suspicious leakage (suspicious, but not sure what will constitute dangerous). Disclaimer: in case of fire, it's not my fault :mrgreen:

I guess the perforations on the microwave door is small enough to block the oven frequency but not the cellphone frequency? :S

RF 101:
Microwave oven frequency at 2.4GHz will have shorter wavelength compared to cellphone signals. This means whatever cage capable of attenuating the microwave emissions should also attenuate cellphone signals.

freq = lambda * c

Higher freq means smaller lambda, or wavelength.

EDIT:
Heck, I just stuck my cellphone into the microwave, the signal strength goes from 4 bars to no signal.

Then I turn on my microwave and fry it... really? Nope :mrgreen:

chucky chuckaluck
April 16th, 2008, 02:00 PM
That's very cool. Isn't it illegal to have a radar detector, though? I wonder if those laws extend to birds.

- John

i think it's something like weed is illegal but rolling papers aren't (the rolling papers being anaolgous to the bird).

VMan
April 16th, 2008, 02:12 PM
[Completely off topic]

Depends on the state you are in. In Oklahoma, detectors are legal. In other states, they will get you a very expensive ticket. Also in most places where they are legal, if the cop sees it, you will NOT get a warning. We just figure the ticket's going to cost you less than the detector did. :popcorn:

[Back on topic]

I think the problem with noise would be more related to a fan or the rotating platter rather than microwave leakage. I would still look into the warranty. If one thing has gone wrong that quickly, more will likely follow quickly.

Whiffle
April 16th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Of course, if you're really worried about your microwave frying you, just don't stand next to it. The inverse square law is on your side http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law