PDA

View Full Version : Welcoming sound (and my presentation)

Kooothor
April 15th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Hi everyone,

As this is my first post, I will introduce myself to the community. Please do not read these lines, they describe my geek life and they will certainly be boring. Skip directly to the green part.

I'm a young researcher in cell biology (trying to cure cancer !), and I live in Paris, France. Please, excuse me if I write big grammatical errors as English isn't my first language.

I always had a Macintosh in my house, I started to learn C on these (http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/1725/300pxmacintoshclassiciicq5.jpg) :)
Then, I remember assisting a course at the Apple Expo in late 90' talking about the WWW. I remember us folks on Netscape, typing http://www.something.fr (google wasn't created yet !!) and I remember myself writing down every URL I found up in order to go on the website once at home !
We had a LC computer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_LC_III), runnig OS 9, nice souvenirs with it...
Then I had a Blue Imac (slot loading), I remember downloading on Napster (rip Oink) with my brand new cable connection.Then, I abandonned it, and there was this big hole in my life without computer. Then several years ago, I had me a PowerBook G4 15", nice machine ! I'm still using it daily at work with Mac OS 10.3.9.

With my first pay, I bought an iMac 20" running Leopard. Best computer ever. I installed a virtual Windows SP3, and a Fedora.
And dual boot with windows SP2. God, I hate Windows... But it's good for gaming (big fan of America's Army and Flight Simulator).

Now we arrive to the linux part.
My boss decided to buy for the lab a server in order to run intranet applications for managing the lab. So we bought one, the geek in the building installed it (under Debian), and now it's running well and I have to take care of it.
When the installer-geek showed me some basic things, I was a true noob to linux world (what means cd ? and ls ? and cat ? etc...)

I vaguely knew that under Mac OS X, there was a GNU/Linux core, but that's it. And he showed me how to connect in ssh to the server. There, I made a step into linux.

But I wanted more, so in one week-end I read this page (http://learnlinux.tsf.org.za/courses/build/fundamentals/fundamentals-all.html). Then I was more able to do stuff on the server and understand the daily log I received on my e-mail.

But I wanted more, so I decided to install Linux on my old, old iMac.
After nearly 6 hours straight, I managed to do it. Finally, I was able to run Ubuntu Edgy on my old iMac. That was nice.
Then I familiarized myself with linux commands, ubunutu environnement, etc...

Recently, I bought a PlayStation 3 (GTA4 is coming soon :D ), and I decided to install Yellow Dog Linux 6.0, as it is THE destrib for the PS3.
DO NOT DO IT. Yellow Dog Linux is crappy as hell.
It took me 10 mins to change the desktop background (and I managed to do it only on three of the four of the virtual desktops), and by the time I did it the whole system crashed two times with various errors... And there are almost no repos for YDL, and nothing works, all my favorites apps aren't supported, etc...
So, I installed Ubuntu 7.10, and WOW, this is the **** !! Ubuntu rules ! it's running pretty slow (I must say nearly as slow as on my old iMac, this must be due to the lack of RAM of the PS3... :( ), but I love it.

So, now that you know part of my life, my first point in this post was to ask you this question :
"I want to have the Edgy sound after success login, where can I find it ?"
but during the time I wrote this, I found up it was easy to find the file (/usr/share/sounds).
Yeah, I think the Edgy welcome sound is far better than the 7.10 one...

So my other question is :
"How can one thank a ubuntuforum-user for a post ?"
I didn't find the button !

Thanks for answering me (I did a quick search but didn't found anything !)

@+
ktr

popch
April 15th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Go to the sub-forum called Forum Feedback & Help

Look at the first thread in the section Sticky Threads.

It is called:
Sticky: Guide to Forum features ** INCLUDES: Thanking, beans, titles, searching, and more

Enjoy.

Oh, and welcome, BTW.

macogw
April 16th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Click the little star at the bottom of the post. And don't swear on here, please.

I want the Dapper login sound.

3rdalbum
April 16th, 2008, 03:51 AM
You couldn't have run Mac OS 9 on an LC. Mac OS 8.5 and above only ran on Powermacs.

Kooothor
April 16th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Go to the sub-forum called Forum Feedback & Help

Look at the first thread in the section Sticky Threads.

It is called:
Sticky: Guide to Forum features ** INCLUDES: Thanking, beans, titles, searching, and more
Thanks, haven't found that !

Oh, and welcome, BTW.
Cheers

You couldn't have run Mac OS 9 on an LC. Mac OS 8.5 and above only ran on Powermacs.
Yes, indeed, it was 8.something. The 9 came with the iMacs.

Click the little star at the bottom of the post.
Damned, this little star wasn't there before !

Edit :

* The Thanks feature doesn't show up on posts that were in existance before it was implemented.

That must be why !