PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How do I become a hacker ?

LinuX-M@n1@k
April 15th, 2008, 04:38 PM
What do I need to know? Language ? Python, C, etc...
:popcorn:

aeiah
April 15th, 2008, 04:41 PM
what do you mean by 'hacker'?

POW R TOC H
April 15th, 2008, 04:44 PM
The same way you become a professional boxer. You train and learn. Nobody can show you how, but you will find your own way if you are patient and persistent. If by 'hacker' you mean someone who knows a lot and enjoys learning and making stuff, that is. If you want to harm others, you will most probably fail.

original_jamingrit
April 15th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Your journey will begin by breaking out of Fort Microsoft, the Dark Lord's most diabolical invention. Many a hacker can move in and out freely without detection, but you must learn to break out before returning, if you are not one of the lucky-born who have never been or never needed to be in Fort Microsoft. Then you must travel through the valley of the GNU, listen to many clever but oft contradictory sages. And then you must swim through the Dead C before reaching the Dead C++ and then finding a single Ruby. From there, you may either take the trial of the Internet Forests by combating the Perl and JavaScript beasts, or enter the Tunnel of Homebrew Apps. Or perhaps you wish to climb Mount Linux, and study under the kernel janitors. May the source be with you.

[/end cheesy fantasy story, please don't flame me.]

LinuX-M@n1@k
April 15th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Thank you all for the info :D

LaRoza
April 15th, 2008, 05:31 PM
See the link in my sig, there is an article called "How to be a hacker".

Next stop, see my wiki.

Dr Small
April 15th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Don't learn to hack....
Hack to learn :)

forrestcupp
April 15th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Check out Hack This Site (http://www.hackthissite.org/). It's a site that is created for safely and legally training how to hack. Pretty amazing.

Dr Small
April 15th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Check out Hack This Site (http://www.hackthissite.org/). It's a site that is created for safely and legally training how to hack. Pretty amazing.
Yeah... Been there alot of years :D

funrider
April 15th, 2008, 06:42 PM
learn more hacker terminologies first, then find a good hacker forums and join their community.

herbster
April 15th, 2008, 07:03 PM
You gotta bone up on your l337 speak first.

Tundro Walker
April 15th, 2008, 07:08 PM
"How can I become a hacker?"

If you have to ask, then you aren't truly interested in being one.

era86
April 15th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Hack one of those Gibsons. :)

Barrucadu
April 15th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Asking the question rather finding out for yourself = automatic failure. You need to be curious about everything!

That said, check out http://www.catb.org/~esr/ and read AT LEAST the following:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/unix-koans/

Reading through The Jargon File is also a good idea.

macogw
April 15th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Read everything. Read a LOT of code. Learn to code. Poke at code. Break code. Break anything on your computer. Try to put the pieces back together. Break it worse next time.

Bungo Pony
April 15th, 2008, 09:14 PM
To become a hacker, you'll need the following items:

- Oscilloscope
- 56k External Dialup Modem
- Nail File
- Screwdriver kit
- Soldering Iron
- Something with the brand name "Heathkit"
- Spy Camera
- Wire
- Duct Tape

And you're all ready to go!

lespaul_rentals
April 15th, 2008, 09:21 PM
If by "hacker" you mean someone who hacks code, learn Python, C, or C++.

If by "hacker" you mean someone who knows a lot about security and uses it for good, a white-hat, join all the script-kiddie forums you can so you know what the n00bs are using these days. Check sites like milw0rm to see if you are secure.

If by "hacker" you mean a black-hat, LOL. That is all. Just, LOL.

The Tronyx
April 15th, 2008, 09:25 PM
If you have to ask, then you aren't truly interested in being one.

While I never like to be a defeatist, that is pretty dead on as far as conceptual interpretation albeit contextually different.

Steveway
April 15th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Your journey will begin by breaking out of Fort Microsoft, the Dark Lord's most diabolical invention. Many a hacker can move in and out freely without detection, but you must learn to break out before returning, if you are not one of the lucky-born who have never been or never needed to be in Fort Microsoft. Then you must travel through the valley of the GNU, listen to many clever but oft contradictory sages. And then you must swim through the Dead C before reaching the Dead C++ and then finding a single Ruby. From there, you may either take the trial of the Internet Forests by combating the Perl and JavaScript beasts, or enter the Tunnel of Homebrew Apps. Or perhaps you wish to climb Mount Linux, and study under the kernel janitors. May the source be with you.

[/end cheesy fantasy story, please don't flame me.]
Sorry to be Off-Topic but I really liked that little "story", even though you forgot the Big Python he has to fight. ;) Has Potential.
Back On-Topic: You should first say what you really mean with "Hacker". There are official definitions of what a hacker is, but most people don't know them and think of something different.

DarthBagel
April 15th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Very carefully and with alot of effort.

Try picking up a decent book on C, downloading the SDL, and writing your own version of tetris!

LaRoza
April 15th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Very carefully and with alot of effort.

Try picking up a decent book on C, downloading the SDL, and writing your own version of tetris!

Or use Python and PyGame, no need to make things hard in the beginning.

(PyGame uses SDL)

The Tronyx
April 15th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I am confused...is it that you want to hack code or that you want to hack security? There is a big difference in both the application of the term and the actions carried out.

drascus
April 15th, 2008, 09:44 PM
people are generally born hackers. If you are cever and inventive and know how to push beyond the limits then you are probably already a hacker and don't even know. My suggestion is learn whatever interests you.

LinuX-M@n1@k
April 15th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I am confused...is it that you want to hack code or that you want to hack security? There is a big difference in both the application of the term and the actions carried out.

Isn't hacking a code a cracking ? Whatever, I must learn as much as I can about programming, security, networking, etc.
As macogw said:

Read everything. Read a LOT of code. Learn to code. Poke at code. Break code. Break anything on your computer. Try to put the pieces back together. Break it worse next time.
I'm going to start learning XHTML as it's mentioned in this (http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html#language_first) site...
Thank you all for the posts ! I learned a lot. I'll mark the thread as Solved.

Tundro Walker
April 16th, 2008, 01:56 AM
To become a hacker, you'll need the following items:

- Oscilloscope
- 56k External Dialup Modem
- Nail File
- Screwdriver kit
- Soldering Iron
- Something with the brand name "Heathkit"
- Spy Camera
- Wire
- Duct Tape

And you're all ready to go!

Dude, he wants to be a HACKER, not MACGYVER!

Btw, "Heathkit" ... :lolflag: