PDA

View Full Version : Foundation and Desktop Development

saxuntu
April 15th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Found a story on slashdot about how the Linux foundation is Server-centeric and not really interested in desktop development. Here's the story at Linux.com (http://www.linux.com/feature/132203).

This not the first time I've heard something like this and it aggravates me. I don't understand why the foundation wouldn't allocate even a few resources to desktop development. I understand they have to please their major contributors, but it sounds like the Linux Foundation should be called the Linux Server Foundation. Anyone with some loose change want to start the Linux Desktop Development Fund?

Other thoughts on the article?

roaldz
April 15th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Found a story on slashdot about how the Linux foundation is Server-centeric and not really interested in desktop development. Here's the story at Linux.com (http://www.linux.com/feature/132203).

This not the first time I've heard something like this and it aggravates me. I don't understand why the foundation wouldn't allocate even a few resources to desktop development. I understand they have to please their major contributors, but it sounds like the Linux Foundation should be called the Linux Server Foundation. Anyone with some loose change want to start the Linux Desktop Development Fund?

Other thoughts on the article?

Well.. Iīm sure X protocol isnīt the best protocol for windowing environments. Remove X, and voila, a CLI workstation. Or server:)

Roald

original_jamingrit
April 15th, 2008, 03:20 PM
What's wrong with that? There's already so many people on board with the linux desktop movement. The foundation's probably just sticking to what it's traditionally been interested in.

LeoSolaris
April 15th, 2008, 04:03 PM
The biggest reason why the foundation doesn't apply itself to desktop use is actually the simplest... only a bare handful of them use it on a desktop. The corporate Linux world is the server, the whole server, and nothing but the server, so help them Linus. And since they foot the bill for Linus's lifestyle, he makes improvements on the kernel with an eye towards the server.

Linus has been quoted (I can't remember where I saw it sorry) as saying something to the effect of, "Anything that can be done outside of the kernel, will be." In a lot of ways, that is how the corporate world treats Linux. It is a tool for them to make money, and all other uses are secondary to that objective. Personally I am rather happy that my desktop is not a tool of major corporations.

By the way, even the article mentioned that not all of the major corporations were strictly server oriented, it is just that they are still too few to make a big enough voice. That will change as spending on Linux expands. Linux has a long road to go before it plays a part in consumer/retail parts of business, but it is getting there. Starting with small offerings like the EEE, Linux will grow.

Lets face it, to the average clueless user, Linux is bewilderingly complicated, seemingly old-fashioned because it still needs a command-line, and it is available for no cost (unless they want to pay for it). "Free" to most people is a bad thing, as I am sure you have heard the old saw, "You get what you pay for" (Absolute tripe, since it directly conflicts with the much more intelligent and older saw, "Buyer beware.")

As for making your own Foundation, go for it! That's the beauty of open source, your allowed to do that. Perhaps for the right price Linus Torvalds would be willing to improve the kernel with a more desktop-centric use in mind.

DoctorMO
April 15th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Linux Torvalds is quoted as saying that he's always looked towards the desktop. that is his final goal.