PDA

View Full Version : Can I write a program to install packages in synaptic?

mattgaunt
April 15th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Hey everyone,

I have an idea for a program that saves all my thunderbird, firefox, background image and so on, as well as un-install and install programs that I prefer to the standard install, on my main computer.

This is just an attempt to make upgrading ubuntu a slightly easier and pleasant process by only having to save one file file produced by this program and then running the program on a new install.

I was just wondering if anyone can shed some light on if this is possible?? If it is I imagine I would need to use some sort of API of linux to program it in C.

But any ideas and anyone have any gd advice or guidance??

Gaunt

loell
April 15th, 2008, 12:37 PM
manipulate apt by python.

or package these files as deb(s)

Tuna-Fish
April 15th, 2008, 12:41 PM
C is a really bad match for this kind of thing.

Just make a bash script. Like this:

#! /bin/bash
apt-get install //names of all the packages you like, separated by spaces. no endlines until the end
apt-get remove //packages you want to get rid of

then save that as some file, and turn the execute rights on for it (chmod a+x filename.sh from the terminal)

Generally all programming languages have a purpose for which they are good. C is for systems hacking and for writing something that REALLY has to be very fast. This is a scripting task, use a script for it.

mattgaunt
April 15th, 2008, 12:49 PM
One thing I did want to do is make it something it is fairly adaptable and possibly usable by other people, which means it would have a GUI front end to control it.

Python is a language I am planning on learning over the summer so cud be gd opertunity to use it for this.

Thanks for the replies tho guys

EXCiD3
April 15th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Python and PyGTK would work prefect for you. Easy to program, fits the purpose and allows for an easy gui :D