PDA

View Full Version : planeshift

jdodson
December 8th, 2004, 09:14 PM
planeshift is a free(GPL and beer) MMORPG that is very everquest like. check it out at:

www.planeshift.it

linux binaries are available. let me know if the game is any good, i will have 3D video on my next gnu/linux box(my current one is a POS):) i also added this to my games list too. just wanted everyone to know about this cool looking game.

Wertigon
December 10th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Well, I haven't played it yet due to two things; first, until the Crystal Blue release comes out there really isn't much more to do than gather crystals, and second, being stuck on a 56k in a country that charges your calls on a Pay-Per-Minute basis really helps to keep you off all kinds of dangerous internet addiction. ;)

However, from what I gather from reading forums and stuff Planeshift will be much more focused on the Roleplaying aspect than other MMORPGs. For example, it'll be possible to actually be a woodcutter and *stay* in that role if you so desire.

Of course, there will be hack n' slash adventuring stuff for those who desire it; it's just that, well, you can just as well be a miner, or a smith, or a barrel-binder, or whatever you want. You'll not be limited to just adventuring, you'll hopefully be able to craft beautiful items, and perhaps even get a husband/wife and kids in-game. So I'm definitely looking forward to it. :)

adbak
December 11th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Well Planeshift certainly looks intriguing, but I've spent the past few hours trying to find a way to successfully install it on my box. Hopefully I'll have more luck with version 0.3 which should be out sometime soon. Until then, I'll play on my Windows partition. SHH!

unixpenguin2004
December 13th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Planeshift is quite an interesting project. The graphics for it are quite amazing. Considering it's a developmental stage project, I really can't compare it up to anything due to its unique approach towards making a free MMORPG. I like it and recommend that everyone tries it out.

adbak
December 13th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Planeshift is quite an interesting project. The graphics for it are quite amazing. Considering it's a developmental stage project, I really can't compare it up to anything due to its unique approach towards making a free MMORPG. I like it and recommend that everyone tries it out.
I agree, the graphics are indeed quite amazing, especially when it's only Version 0.2 and in its pre-alpha stage.

Mumbly
December 14th, 2004, 06:39 AM
I'm trying to get this running, and I keep getting this error message when trying to execute the client:

root@dominar:/usr/local/games/planeshift # ./psclient
Warning: Failed to load `gl3d'; use '-verbose' argument for details.
Warning: Failed to load `gl3d'; use '-verbose' argument for details.
WARNING: could not load plugin 'crystalspace.graphics3d.opengl'
Warning: Failed to load `cspngimg'; use '-verbose' argument for details.
Warning: Failed to load `cspngimg'; use '-verbose' argument for details.
aws-debug: Couldn't find iGraphics2D plugin!!
psclient: No 3d driver (iGraphics3D) plugin!

I'm running an Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440 with the nvidia drivers loaded. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Mumbly

kamstrup
December 14th, 2004, 07:31 AM
I remember reading something about the Linux client would not be able to run out of the box. It needs some files from the Windows version. It was somewhere on the PS site...

Wertigon
December 24th, 2004, 01:53 PM
The Crystal Blue release is out, finally it's time to really start playing! ;)

*Notices download size*
*Notices download speed*
*Glares at his 56k*

... As soon as I've convinced a friend to burn it for me. >_>
<_<

Edit: Just noticed there is no Linux version right now... :oops: Well, it should be along shortly, in the meanwhile, drool at the screenshots or something. I'll update again when it's available. ;)

adarkmethod
March 20th, 2007, 07:44 PM
i'd love to play this... if only it would install

lordhebe
March 21st, 2007, 06:40 PM
I played planeshift a year ago, and it was very good, but after my new acquisition (my new PC w/ ubuntu :guitar: ) I loaded it again, and boy has it changed! It's even better now, the graphics are great and they've added a lot of really cool things to it! Since it's free and Multi-format me and my friends are probably gonna get into this game (after I kill my City Of Heroes addiction)

Just to let you know, I loaded the latest (blue crystal) release and updated it to the latest version, and the install went with no problems. Just chmod +x 'ed the file and double clicked and the install went no probs! =D>

adarkmethod
March 24th, 2007, 10:32 AM
please.. someone help me get this to work

lordhebe
March 24th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Follow the guide here http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=19389.0

adarkmethod
March 25th, 2007, 06:23 AM
yeah, when i run the chmod command it says i dotn have the file

Perfect Storm
March 25th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Please start a new thread instead of necromancing a 2 years old thread, thank you.

Regards
A.I. dude