PDA

View Full Version : Switching to Web. What Utilities do you recommend?

Ifaistos
April 15th, 2008, 09:53 AM
It's been a long time since the first time I thought about it.
Right now I think that the web is ready and more importantly I am ready.

I am thinking of switching from using applications locally to using applications in the WEB. So far I have been using Outlook at first and now Thunderbird, and other local software to see e-mail, make appointments, handle my CRM, browse and store pictures and others stuff.

I think it's now time to switch to doing that on the web. The main advantage being that I can have my office wherever I go, and most importantly every time that I need to reinstall, I don't have to loose information, or go through backing up and reinstalling, and reprogramming rules for e-mail, backing up bookmarks and so on.

What I would like from you guys is your opinion about this switch.

Do you think it is really worth it?
Is there something that I neglected thinking that might stop me from doing that?
What are the utilities that you would recommend and that you are currently using?
What would you change if you were to start over?

Thank you all in advance

Only utility that I am almost pretty sure about, is the Sugar CRM which I have setup on one of my web servers.

ice60
April 15th, 2008, 03:24 PM
lots of people seem to agree with you, i think there's even a version of photoshop online now. but, i'd never use any kind of 'cloud computing' because of the privacy issues, someone like google keeps everything you give to them and goes through it to target ads at you. their aim is to make everything searchable and that includes their online services! you really have to trust the people you are giving all this stuff to and i don't trust any of them!

i'm sure there must be a few sites that catalogue all the cloud computing services? i might have a look.

there's the ulteo OS, that is based online
http://www.ulteo.com/home/en/home?autolang=en

Ifaistos
April 15th, 2008, 09:29 PM
you've got a point there...

How about if I have my own physical machine on a rack, and install Ubuntu server there? Does Ubuntu have all the applications needed online?

Thanks again.