April 15th, 2008, 08:34 AM
The RealPlayer 11 is out inc windows media support
https://player.helixcommunity.org/2007/releases/RealPlayer/ReleaseNotes.html

madjr
April 15th, 2008, 10:48 AM
The RealPlayer 11 is out inc windows media support
https://player.helixcommunity.org/2007/releases/RealPlayer/ReleaseNotes.html

yay thats great.

i was beginning to start to hate them because i was only seeing RP for windows and mac on main site.

anyway the linux version is kind of hidden.... as always

Google Spider
April 15th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Don't we have codecs for rm format? What's the use of installing real player?

SunnyRabbiera
April 15th, 2008, 12:35 PM
its sort of a "just in case" method
but hey at least real is making some effort, unlike most of them

drascus
April 15th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Don't use real player. In the past Real player has used its player to spy on its users. find a free player that implements its format and use that instead.

mrgnash
April 15th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I have never ONCE got this player to work. It doesn't matter what type of video I try to play with it, it never has the necessary codec. I just tried this version, and same thing. Useless.

eragon100
April 15th, 2008, 03:47 PM
It uses ALSA. Ubuntu 8.04 uses PulseAudio

Could this cause problems :confused:

intense.ego
April 15th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Don't use real player. In the past Real player has used its player to spy on its users. find a free player that implements its format and use that instead.

Yep, it is labelled as spyware by most anti-spyware companies.

madjr
April 15th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Yep, it is labelled as spyware by most anti-spyware companies.

still many people in windows use it, so they looking for it when they migrate.

it's good to have choice.

GMU_DodgyHodgy
April 16th, 2008, 01:20 AM

Same here - it has never worked for me.

VLC all the way!

Hells_Dark
April 16th, 2008, 01:28 AM
It uses ALSA. Ubuntu 8.04 uses PulseAudio

Could this cause problems :confused:

Of course not. Pulseaudio deals with oss, alsa, etc.

cardinals_fan
April 16th, 2008, 01:40 AM
The only advantage of RealPlayer is 'legal' codecs - it is cheap adware. It drove me mad with advertisement popups on Windows... :mad:

ubuntu-freak
April 17th, 2008, 01:44 PM
The only advantage of RealPlayer is 'legal' codecs - it is cheap adware. It drove me mad with advertisement popups on Windows... :mad:

Haven't used it on Windows for years, but didn't they change their ways a couple of years ago? They used to be really bad, but I like the fact they used Helix devs to make a lightweight Linux version.

Nathan

yopnono
April 17th, 2008, 01:50 PM

Well sorry to tell you... that the Linux version is *not* a bloatware/ adware :)
It's a slim lightweight player that now support the MS codecs.

ubuntu-freak
April 17th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Is there a deb package yet? I do find it strange that they make an rpm package, but not a deb. Debian/Ubuntu have been no.1 for years now.

Nathan

Polygon
April 17th, 2008, 02:25 PM
question!

is there a way to play .rm files without using RealPlayer? Or is using this program the only way?

ubuntu-freak
April 17th, 2008, 03:38 PM
question!

is there a way to play .rm files without using RealPlayer? Or is using this program the only way?

MPlayer and VLC.

Nathan

jrusso2
April 17th, 2008, 05:10 PM
How soon we forget or original friends. When I first started using Linux Real Player was really the only Media Player that even supported Linux.

Believe it or not there was a very early version of Windows Media Player you could get working on Linux even though it was for Unix.

But if you wanted to play any video Real was the only company that supported Linux back then.

Their Linux player is nice, its not adware or spyware. Right away everyone has to bash it and they are giviing you a legal way to play windows media now which everyone is always crying about being legal here.

herbster
April 17th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Holy crap, Real Player still exists!

beercz
April 17th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Downloaded it, installed it, tested it, used it.

Works OK.

Thank you and goodnight!

(btw in the Windows version you can turn off all the popups etc.)