PDA

View Full Version : openSuSE 10.3 review

buried
April 15th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I've tried this distro of linux, and the screenshots look very nice, but never trust a book by it's cover, so I'm trying it out, download done, and burnt on a CD, once done installation start, screens look nice and all, but Installation took ages.. hours and hours and error occured with the user name and couldn't enter, so then I tried to get help from IRC, everyone gave me bad comments just because I said opensuse errors need to be corrected, then they all got mad at me, and called me inpatient so I went away and didn't get to try openSUSE, talk about nice opensuse community, it's off my system and I'm never trying it again.

master5o1
April 15th, 2008, 07:48 AM
That's a shame :(

p_quarles
April 15th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Moved to openSUSE's very own sub-forum. ;)

In any case, yes, complaining about bugs in an IRC channel or forum dedicated to giving technical support is a good way to alienate people and make them less interested in helping you. Most open source projects have very defined ways of reporting bugs, and going to the support channels is never one of them.

madjr
April 15th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I've tried this distro of linux, and the screenshots look very nice, but never trust a book by it's cover, so I'm trying it out, download done, and burnt on a CD, once done installation start, screens look nice and all, but Installation took ages.. hours and hours and error occured with the user name and couldn't enter, so then I tried to get help from IRC, everyone gave me bad comments just because I said opensuse errors need to be corrected, then they all got mad at me, and called me inpatient so I went away and didn't get to try openSUSE, talk about nice opensuse community, it's off my system and I'm never trying it again.

isn't that why people use ubuntu ?

buried
April 15th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Ubuntu the best all the way

PmDematagoda
April 15th, 2008, 08:03 AM
In fairness I must say that I found the openSUSE community to be rather friendly, they help out whenever they can but like a few of us(or even most of us) they can get ticked off if you keep on saying that their OS sucks or that their OS needs to be fixed(which person would like to hear another say that what they create has a lot of errors).

What really would have made them help you is if you had given out all your problems(technical ones) in one single thread or multiple ones with consideration to the topic or section and not talk about openSUSE errors in general, especially about artwork:).

All of the above are just my view points and suggestions, you can believe them if you want to believe them:).

quickshade
April 15th, 2008, 06:40 PM
It's really bad to blame the problems you encountered on opensuse without any knowledge of how they happened. Did you test your DVD and make sure it wasn't a bad burn. Is the hardware you have compatible with opensuse. To me, If someone posted on the ubuntu forums saying that ubuntu has problems installing and that we should fix them I might be less likely to help them. BTW don't give up because if failed to install the first time. Get a CD version and try that.

I had no problems getting opensuse to work and like it a lot.

ibutho
April 15th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I personally have had good experiences with openSUSE as a distro and the opensuse community to the point where I have used it as my main distro for about 3 years now. In any IT community (including this one), you will get more help if you are polite and ask questions in a positive and enthisiastic manner. If it appears as if you are blaming the distro for not being able to install it, then some people won't bother helping or may flame you.

buried
April 16th, 2008, 05:29 AM
I was not blaming the distro, I arrived on the IRC to report this bug and see if anyone could help, these are my lines=
"hello, everyone, I booted openSUSE and tried to install it, but it didn't give me a user and pass, and came up with this error "inst_root, and inst_user" as a YaSt error"
Simso: "hmm, can you give me the layout of your hardisk, try fdisk -l"
buried: "oh thanks I'll try that"
buried: "layout of disk here, openSUSE needs to correct this error"
jervine: "openSuSe doesn't need to correct anything, patience is a virtue, seems like you don't have any"
buried: "I wasn't implementing or blaming openSuSe for the error, I'm just saying it may need to be corrected"
jervine: "you were implementing and blaming openSuSe a few minutes ago
buried: all I was saying is that it just needs to be corrected, so the distro can be better.
jervie: "the distro is already good, we don't need people like you to disturb us, go away"
buried: "fine, it's off my system"

Antman
April 16th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I was not blaming the distro, I arrived on the IRC to report this bug and see if anyone could help, these are my lines=
"hello, everyone, I booted openSUSE and tried to install it, but it didn't give me a user and pass, and came up with this error "inst_root, and inst_user" as a YaSt error"
Simso: "hmm, can you give me the layout of your hardisk, try fdisk -l"
buried: "oh thanks I'll try that"
buried: "layout of disk here, openSUSE needs to correct this error"
jervine: "openSuSe doesn't need to correct anything, patience is a virtue, seems like you don't have any"
buried: "I wasn't implementing or blaming openSuSe for the error, I'm just saying it may need to be corrected"
jervine: "you were implementing and blaming openSuSe a few minutes ago
buried: all I was saying is that it just needs to be corrected, so the distro can be better.
jervie: "the distro is already good, we don't need people like you to disturb us, go away"
buried: "fine, it's off my system"

Wait, let me get my popcorn ready. :popcorn:

quickshade
April 16th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I could see someone taking that offensively. You did one thing and then suggested the fix the problem when they didn't even know what the problem was. He was kind of rude, but if you went on the Ubuntu IRC and said that I think it would end up the same way. Anyways, try re-burning the disc and try it again. If you need help or run into any problems hit up this place or post at the SUSE forums (http://suseforums.net/)