PDA

View Full Version : this sucks

swoll1980
April 15th, 2008, 04:52 AM
I just went to my favorite web site to find this monstrosity waiting for me there
http://www.nba.com/games/20080414/CLEPHI/gameinfo.html

SunnyRabbiera
April 15th, 2008, 04:55 AM
good gawd...
you know this is going to cause them hell.

swoll1980
April 15th, 2008, 04:58 AM
going to cause me hell now I have to jump through hoops every night to enjoy my site

Victormd
April 15th, 2008, 04:59 AM
I just went to my favorite web site to find this monstrosity waiting for me there

You mean the silverlight?
It really sucks how many web designers don't worry about compatibility and think that the only one out there is Windows...

mivo
April 15th, 2008, 04:59 AM
"Silverlight" is pretty name, but I had not even heard of it before. But look at it this way: If they don't want you to visit their site and use their content, and thus not help their hits/ads revenue, then go elsewhere. Web site visitors are patrons. (At the very least email them and express your dissatisfaction.)

madjr
April 15th, 2008, 05:03 AM

yeah stupid silverlight

how to get it working with moonlight ? who the hell knows...

SunnyRabbiera
April 15th, 2008, 05:04 AM
I guess they are going to force it on everyone, I dont know if silverlight works in wine...

swoll1980
April 15th, 2008, 05:07 AM
what I don't understand is why? why would they do this?

SunnyRabbiera
April 15th, 2008, 05:08 AM
because they are idiots?
If you want me to I can try to run this site under wine after seeing if silverlight will work with wine...

swoll1980
April 15th, 2008, 05:11 AM
If you wouldn't mind. I have bad luck with wine. If I'm the first one to try it I might jinx it. I don't have ie instaled either if this works I will have to install it

TBOL3
April 15th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Email them, and suggest a better player.

Tell them that it is impossible for you to watch while they use this player.

mivo
April 15th, 2008, 05:12 AM
what I don't understand is why? why would they do this?

Perhaps a "recommendation" of Microsoft, or maybe MS even paid for it. The guys in Redmont aren't stupid and they must realize that gaming alone isn't enough to bind people to the Windows platform in the long run, especially now that Linux distros are becoming very desktop-friendly.

SunnyRabbiera
April 15th, 2008, 05:16 AM
well it doesnt work it looks like....
looks like you will have to find a new favorite website...
but write emails, get people together in a petition too.

swoll1980
April 15th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Perhaps a "recommendation" of Microsoft, or maybe MS even paid for it. The guys in Redmont aren't stupid and they must realize that gaming alone isn't enough to bind people to the Windows platform in the long run, especially now that Linux distros are becoming very desktop-friendly.

this makes me hate them so much but at the same time may keep me more attached to them

macogw
April 15th, 2008, 06:24 AM
I'd take a screenshot of the prompt and edit it to say under the "install this...." part in big red letters "NOT ON YOUR LIFE" or "F*** THAT! ESPN.COM CAN HAVE MY AD REVENUE INSTEAD"

popch
April 15th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Email them, and suggest a better player.

Tell them that it is impossible for you to watch while they use this player.

I'd take a screenshot of the prompt and edit it to say under the "install this...." part in big red letters "NOT ON YOUR LIFE" or "F*** THAT! ESPN.COM CAN HAVE MY AD REVENUE INSTEAD"

Yes.

Email - in addition - the same to all who advertise on the home page. Marketing departments do not like their near-customers to be annoyed.

master5o1
April 15th, 2008, 07:19 AM
I believe that Steve Ballmer and Paul Allen both own NBA teams, giving them a little influence over the NBA. Microsoft no doubt paid for this implementation or encouraged it. The whole point is to get a reasonably high profile website to force the downloads and increase the market share.

ugm6hr
April 15th, 2008, 07:36 AM
well it doesnt work it looks like....
looks like you will have to find a new favorite website...
but write emails, get people together in a petition too.

Moonlight might be a better option than wine: http://www.mono-project.com/Moonlight

Unfortunately, the MS response is that they officially support Linux with their Novell collaboration (as described on the MS Silverlight website)

Whether the NBA site works - I don't know. Worth a try if it matters to you.

madjr
April 15th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Moonlight might be a better option than wine: http://www.mono-project.com/Moonlight

Unfortunately, the MS response is that they officially support Linux with their Novell collaboration (as described on the MS Silverlight website)

Whether the NBA site works - I don't know. Worth a try if it matters to you.

what about their licencing

is mono included in the repos?

if not, why not?

how the hell do i install it if not on the repos

i don't want to start emailing every website that starts to use silverlight...

FuturePilot
April 15th, 2008, 08:18 AM

swoll1980
April 15th, 2008, 10:13 AM
i don't want to start emailing every website that starts to use silverlight...

looks like you might be in some deep poo poo then

philinux
April 15th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I raised this two weeks ago. And got an infraction for using inappropriate language. But hey found this.

http://www.nino-net.org/2008/02/29/moon-use-silverlight-plugin-in-ubuntu-710/

Might have a go.

itv.com are using silverlight for their catchup video service, thats what started me off.

FuturePilot
April 15th, 2008, 02:45 PM
http://go-mono.org/moonlight/

Edit: Doesn't work :(

-grubby
April 15th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Well good thing I don't give a rip about the NBA, or I'd be complaining

Tundro Walker
April 15th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I'm on a Windows Vista machine with Silverlight. I installed Silverlight a month or so back just to get Windows Update to shut up about wanting me to install it. (Apparently when Windows uses the "annoying 4 year old kid" approach, they can harass you to the point of doing anything.) So, I go the NBA site, and get a huge pop-up saying I need to enable Silverlight, it'll auto-update itself as needed, and check this box to confirm and never see this again.

Um ... no.

Silverlight's just come out. God knows what kind of security flaws are going to trickle down from it. And, I don't want anything on my machine auto-updating itself. Plus, I'm running NoScript & AdBlock Plus in Firefox. God knows what kind of conflict the Silverlight's going to complain about with those running. I'm just not interested in another headache right now.

EDIT:

So, screw it, I decided to be a Silverlight guinea pig. I enabled it, and ... HOLY CRAP! This is so freakin' awesome! You guys HAVE TO SEE THIS! My whole monitor is dazzling with eye-candy goodness! Man, this stuff is in 3D, like it's popping out of the screen at me! It's like I'm totally at the game they're showing! Oh, man! This is so freakin' cool!

Just kidding.

It works just like Flash. There's some pics of basketball guys doing basketball things, and an annoying button that says "BUY THIS PHOTO". You click it and it takes you to another page trying to charge you way more money than the photo is worth so they can frame it and mail it to you.

Yawn.

It's good that there's a competitor to Adobe Flash ... kind of don't like that they have a monopoly on the Flash thing. But, I'd much rather it be someone else than Microsoft.

madjr
April 15th, 2008, 08:55 PM
looks like you might be in some deep poo poo then

i think we need to start speaking in plurals here :confused:

Bungo Pony
April 15th, 2008, 09:08 PM
EDIT:

So, screw it, I decided to be a Silverlight guinea pig. I enabled it, and ... HOLY CRAP! This is so freakin' awesome! You guys HAVE TO SEE THIS! My whole monitor is dazzling with eye-candy goodness! Man, this stuff is in 3D, like it's popping out of the screen at me! It's like I'm totally at the game they're showing! Oh, man! This is so freakin' cool!

Rotten bugger, you had me there for a second :)

I installed Silverlite on my work machine. I only installed it so I could try and get a free T-shirt from Microsoft. Unfortunately, my T-shirt still hasn't arrived.

Oh yeah, and it's not working in Opera either. I don't have the time nor the desire to get it working in Opera.