PDA

View Full Version : if web videos always programmed for linux would

sdowney717
April 14th, 2008, 11:58 PM
if web videos worked for linux, would they automatically work in windows?

assuming not ogg, but standard flash or wmv files on web sites where if you had the proper codecs etc... installed, you could watch it perfectly fine in linux.. Would these same videos always then work fine for windows users?

for example, II have no trouble with CNN or BBC, but sites like ABC news never work.
If so, why not program sites to work for linux and they will then also work in windows. Why just program for windows and leave linux out entirely, if it was so easy.

red_Marvin
April 15th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Well, linux is based on libre and open standards, so there would be nothing like closed formats or license fees etc. So even if there would be no available program/plugin today, there is nothing hindering it from appearing tomorrow.

yatt
April 15th, 2008, 12:04 AM
if web videos worked for linux, would they automatically work in windows?

assuming not ogg, but standard flash or wmv files on web sites where if you had the proper codecs etc... installed, you could watch it perfectly fine in linux.. Would these same videos always then work fine for windows users?

for example, II have no trouble with CNN or BBC, but sites like ABC news never work.
If so, why not program sites to work for linux and they will then also work in windows. Why just program for windows and leave linux out entirely, if it was so easy.They probably do not know it exists and if they do, do not think it is worth developer time to appease what is 1.5-3% of the market.

jacob01
April 15th, 2008, 12:11 AM
well i don't know why yours doesn't work, i just went to those sites and imbeded flash videos worked just fine. What plugin do you have installed? Also i am using Firefox 3 beta 5 if that has to do with anything. idk

im using the 'non free adobe flash player' package from the repository and it works.

LightB
April 15th, 2008, 02:57 AM
I know only basic junky formats that were obsolete years ago will work on windows by default, but not even windows users prefer to work with those. imo, unless you have a particular need for certain viewers to view the material conveniently, it's generally better to go with better formats instead of trying to play it safe with old inferior ones. Go with vorbis instead of mp3, vorbis is significantly better technically, nevermind the license. If a format is free, it should be viewable somehow to everyone, certainly to the common OS. And forget about things like divx, that seems to be only good in efficiency of quick encoding of flawed material like tv broadcasts, if even that. I like x264 (free h.264) myself, I see nothing currently which compares.

wolfen69
April 15th, 2008, 05:36 AM
for example, I have no trouble with CNN or BBC, but sites like ABC news never work.

hmm. ABC news works just fine for me. as a matter of fact, the only sites that have not worked for me are ones that require internet explorer.

sdowney717
April 16th, 2008, 02:03 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4660840

actually it is sort of working since I upgraded to Hardy.
But If I try to select from the left menu, nothing happens. The right menu does work fine.