PDA

View Full Version : The Great Ubuntu Halloween?

Colorado
April 14th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Hello all!

I've been using Ubuntu for about 18 months now, and I find it really engaging. As a matter of fact, I've become a bit of a Linux evangelist, and have introduced a number of people to Ubuntu. I get a kick out of seeing their amazement at what Linux really has to offer.

Last Halloween, while out trick-or-treating with my kids, it occurred to me that I should have burned a bunch of Ubuntu install disks and handed them out to the houses we visited. Since a reasonable percentage of those who actually see K/Ubuntu in action actually end up installing it at some point, it seems that the trick is to get them to play with it.

Fast forward to present, when it has occurred to me that, if one Ubuntu-bearing trick-or-treater on Halloween is good, then thousands would be better! (dressing as a penguin is optional)

And the ongoing Windows Vista saga can only boost the success of such an undertaking. People have been kicked out of their complacency by the forced adoption of a much-despised upgrade and are perhaps more likely than ever before to give Linux a whirl.

So, who thinks this is an idea worth pursuing? How many would be willing to hand out Ubuntu install disks to the houses they visit while trick or treating? It seems like a long way off, but large efforts like this require a little lead time.

Thoughts?

Colorado

heartburnkid
April 14th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Sounds like a fairly good idea, as long as you don't give out Ubuntu CDs in lieu of candy to the kids that visit your house. When I was a kid, the people who pulled crap like that got egged.

Colorado
April 14th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Nah, don't mess with the basics of Halloween. That would be all wrong.

Instead, when you're out walking around getting candy, surprise the givers by leaving a disk with them.

1) Go to house
2) Ring doorbell
3) Say Trick or Treat!
4) Get candy
5) Say "thank you!"
6) Give them a nice free disk of Linux goodness

You've just made the world a better place!

paul101
April 14th, 2008, 07:12 PM
errr Hi but just one thing HALLOWEEN IS MONTHS AWAY

:-P :lolflag:

Colorado
April 14th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Yeah, bummer huh?