PDA

View Full Version : The Entitlement Thread

Sporkman
April 14th, 2008, 05:55 PM
What are you entitled to?

Broad question. Tell us what you believe you are entitled to, either personally, professionally, in a societal context, in a narrow context such as software, etc.

gn2
April 14th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Entitlement = absolutely none.

I can't write my own software therefore it's a privilege to be allowed to use software created by others.

LaRoza
Death.

original_jamingrit
Respect, and credit. If your software is popular and open source, then donations.

There's nothing really wrong with proprietary software, but when software is made for fun, or to fill one's own need or goal, it just feels somehow better. Like it has a personality of it's own.

Although I think if you are able to make a contract with someone, or get hired, you ought to be entitled to at least whatever your original agreement is.

Death.Actually, that's just a side-effect of trying over and over again to satisfy the end-user, or at least the more stubborn variety...

Sporkman
April 14th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Actually, that's just a side-effect of trying over and over again to satisfy the end-user, or at least the more stubborn variety...

:lol:

smoker
April 14th, 2008, 06:42 PM
education should always be free, though i know this is not always possible, but it is great that there is a wealth of free knowledge available to anyone with a broadband connection,

23meg
April 14th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I'm entitled to
use free software in whatever way I like, and resort to blaming others first when it doesn't work exactly like I want it to

demand top priority support to each and every problem I'm having, and lash out at volunteers who queue up to offer each other free support if I don't get it

occupy the limited time and energy of others to answer my questions even though they've been answered thousands of times before, without resorting to search facilities, FAQs and documentation

bash people and projects for not working on the bugs that hurt me the most, and features I want the most

label anyone who disagrees with me as incompetent, disloyal or ill intentioned and claim that their line of thinking is "the reason why Linux will never make it".

Tristam Green
April 14th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I'm entitled to
use free software in whatever way I like, and resort to blaming others first when it doesn't work exactly like I want it to

demand top priority support to each and every problem I'm having, and lash out at volunteers who queue up to offer each other free support if I don't get it

occupy the limited time and energy of others to answer my questions even though they've been answered thousands of times before, without resorting to search facilities, FAQs and documentation

bash people and projects for not working on the bugs that hurt me the most, and features I want the most

label anyone who disagrees with me as incompetent, disloyal or ill intentioned and claim that their line of thinking is "the reason why Linux will never make it".

I see what you did there.

I am entitled to nothing but what I myself strive to obtain.

TeraDyne
April 14th, 2008, 07:06 PM
-I'm entitled to being myself, and no one else.
-I am entitled the right to be who and what I want to be, and not what others see me to be.
-I am entitled to the truth, and nothing but the truth.
-I am entitled to belive in what I want to believe, whether or not others believe in the same thing.
-I am entitled to use and obtain what I need to survive.
-I am entitled to the right to speak my mind, within reason, without fear of being cencored.

There's more, but I'm too busy to continue on. Maybe I'll add\edit more later.

Kinst
April 14th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I think I'm entitled to theme everything and anything on my computer to match my mood/favourite colour/clothing style/etc.

sujoy
April 14th, 2008, 08:05 PM
i am entitled to live my life as i see fit

Spike-X
April 15th, 2008, 01:30 AM
I'm not entitled to a damn thing, and I'm a fool to think otherwise.

Sidewinder1
April 15th, 2008, 01:34 AM
To be taxed

swoll1980
April 15th, 2008, 02:06 AM
"I honly want whats comin' to me main, da world chico"

LightB
April 15th, 2008, 02:50 AM
I'm entitled to whatever I can manage to take. The same goes for everyone else. That's if you're talking about the one and only sense of "entitlement" in a very basic sense, as this thread seems to imply.

cardinals_fan
April 15th, 2008, 04:38 AM
The only thing any human is truly entitled to is death.

herbster
April 15th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Nada.