PDA

View Full Version : Hardy:Upgrade or Freshly install?

vishzilla
April 14th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Again as we have 10 days left for the release of Hardy Heron what option will you prefer to switch to Hardy
1. Upgrade from Gutsy
2. Freshly install Hardy

BuffaloX
April 14th, 2008, 05:47 PM
My wife is already using hardy, and she loves it.
I'll do the upgrade first, if there are any problems, I'll do a fresh install....

noremac
April 14th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I am trying to figure out what I will do myself. I am on Gutsy right now and have done so much to get it to work well. Took a long time to get it to work properly and I would hate to lose that. I know you can save the /home to another partition which I may consider doing, however what about devices?

I have a TV Tuner card that I dont recall exactly how I got working and dont WANT to have to figure out again. Can I save that if I freshly install? Also took me a while to get my dual monitors working. That though I think I will attribute to the fact I didnt know much about Linux when I started and now I do. I wish I could recall more of what I would want to work. But also dont want to hijack a thread.

-Cameron

ukripper
April 14th, 2008, 05:55 PM
in my opinion always Freshly!!!:guitar:

My gutsy works fine till next year then I will put HARDY on my production system somewhere near Jan next year. Till then it will be like my experimenting toy

SomeGuyDude
April 14th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Already running the beta, so I might as well just go for the upgrade.

depele
April 14th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I am running an upgrade.

But still bit buggy I believe.

amarok won't play mp3 files no-more,
and some other stupid issues.

FuturePilot
April 14th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Upgrade for me. :guitar:

LaRoza
April 14th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Both most likely.

Sukarn
April 14th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I upgraded a couple of months ago on my only system, and the only problem I've been having is some trouble with usplash. It might not even be a problem with usplash. Maybe its something that runs before "Reading files needed to boot..." because that step is when usplash dumps me to tty. Before that, usplash seems to just show a small strip going right and left (instead of like a loading bar) like the usplash strip does in the beginning when the live-cd starts, before the actual loading bar comes.

robertchahine
April 14th, 2008, 06:33 PM
freshly installed,beacause when you will "fall in love" with hardy, you'll need it fresh :D lol

Ozor Mox
April 14th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Fresh install since my computer was upgraded from Feisty to Gutsy so a format would probably do it good. It has developed some interesting quirks I'd like to get rid of, like small horizontal bars that sit in the bottom right corner and attach themselves to the mouse if I move it over them! :confused:

intense.ego
April 14th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Fresh Install for sure. I created a /home partition when I moved from Feisty to Gutsy for this exact reason.

gn2
April 14th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Will upgrade to 8.04 from 7.10 using update manager.

If there are any problems afterwards that I can't fix quickly I'll just clean install.

smartboyathome
April 14th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I installed hardy on my laptop about a month ago shortly before Alpha 6 was released and upgraded my desktop shortly after. I said upgrade since I am already going to be running it. Hope everyone likes it, I know I do! :D

themusicwave
April 14th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I will probably do a fresh install.

I have been doing upgrades since Dapper and it's time to get a clean slate. I also want to repartition anyways.

I have plenty of faith in the updater since it has worked well just about every time so far. It has also gotten better each time.

edm1
April 14th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I will always fresh install. I like to have fresh config files since i had problems with a few apps a few releases ago.

Don S
April 14th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I'll try the upgrade. If it doesn't work, I'll go for a fresh. But currently I have some stuff saved on my / partition, that I'd rather not lose.

heartburnkid
April 14th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I'm thinking I'll do a fresh install, because I want to see if switching to 64-bit does anything for my performance.

bilal.17
April 15th, 2008, 03:28 AM
upgraded both my laptop and desktop this past weekend... i was thinking of doing a fresh install, so i tired it out on my laptop... and since it worked perfectly i decided i'd do it on my desktop.. which was an almost a perfect upgrade except for some slight problems with resolution and some old packages but other than that it was a good choice for me to upgrade which i recommend because it keeps most of the hardware settings

elmer_42
April 15th, 2008, 03:41 AM
1. Save my home folder to a seperate partition
2. Update 7.10
3. Test
4. If that doesn't work, install fresh
5. Copy back my home folder
I think that is a good thing to do. I just installed the current release about a week ago, and I wouldn't really be upset if I had to completely re-install. I have only installed a few things that don't come standard with Ubuntu.

pcostanza
April 15th, 2008, 03:50 AM
I'll like do an upgrade and try it for a few weeks. If I see anything I don't like, I'll install fresh. I usually go the fresh way but I'm interested in seeing how an upgrade goes anyway.

Saint Angeles
April 15th, 2008, 03:55 AM
on my PIII at work i did an upgrade from gutsy with no problems whatsoever...

but on my P4 with ATI at home, i got better results with a clean install. hardy has wonderful auto hardware detection.

i store all my important stuff on an external USB drive so doing a fresh install is no big deal.

sports fan Matt
April 15th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Stress out for 4-6 days, overload forums and keep asking people's opinions and then bite the bullet and fresh install..

cardinals_fan
April 15th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Neither. Stick with Gutsy until I replace it with FreeBSD :)