PDA

View Full Version : P4 2.4ghz/Gigabite Upgrade?, Need advise.

Omnios
October 14th, 2005, 12:40 AM
I called around today to see if I could get some ram for my P4 1.6ghz socket 423 intel 850. A tecki explained to me that getting a 2ghz processor or a ram upgrade would be very difficult and I wouold have to find used components that are very scarce. Think it has a 133 bus to.

Anyways he mentioned they sell upgrade packs for a half decent price which include a p4 2.4 ghz with think he said 2g cach and the next evalution past hyperthreading. He also qoated 512megs ram. The speed of the processor is ok but im more interested with the high speed bus as it makes a huge difference from my experience. Anyone know anything about these series of processors. And whats with the funny power supply thingy 4 pin?

My main concern is the Gigabite mother board, I can get an asus but for a lot more. I talked to a tecki many years ago and he told me that (at that time) that the Gigabite was just as good as the Asus and even had certain advantages for about $40 less. Anyways is Gigabite still as good as they used to be?

Thanks in advance for the teck support. :confused:

mstlyevil
October 14th, 2005, 12:47 AM
Unless you are a Intell die hard, you might look into a AMD upgrade kit. AMD outperforms Intel in memory and power. It takes a lot more power to get the same performance out of Intel. But if you want to stay with Pentium, Gigabyte is a great board maker with great overclocking abilities. Try pricing a AMD upgrade kit. A 2.0 gig A64 athlon 3200 will smoke the 2.4 gig pentium and may actually cost less to buy.

Kapre
October 14th, 2005, 02:25 AM
Omnio - I agree with mystevil. Anyways, memory is what you asked the techie for and he told you that your type of memory is scarce nowadays? What is the speed of your memory (is it SDRAM [pc100 or pc133], or a DDRRam)? I think lots of stores here in TO still sell those memory (refurbished though).

K

Omnios
October 14th, 2005, 02:48 AM
Omnio - I agree with mystevil. Anyways, memory is what you asked the techie for and he told you that your type of memory is scarce nowadays? What is the speed of your memory (is it SDRAM [pc100 or pc133], or a DDRRam)? I think lots of stores here in TO still sell those memory (refurbished though).

K

The ram is:
mother board has128-pin Rambus Inline Memory Moduals (Rimm) sockets.
It supports 62Mbit, 128Mbit and 256Mbit Direct RDRAM .
Aperently this socket set and motherboard where not very popular.

Kapre
October 14th, 2005, 02:57 AM
The ram is:
mother board has128-pin Rambus Inline Memory Moduals (Rimm) sockets.
It supports 62Mbit, 128Mbit and 256Mbit Direct RDRAM .
Aperently this socket set and motherboard where not very popular.

Yup. You're right, that kind of module is not very popular (wonder why?) Anyways, I bought my stuff on this store and looking at their webpage, I found that they are still selling RDRAM (PC800), is this what your looking for?

Here is the website (http://www.canadasys.com/part.htm#ram11)

K

Omnios
October 14th, 2005, 03:14 AM
Yup. You're right, that kind of module is not very popular (wonder why?) Anyways, I bought my stuff on this store and looking at their webpage, I found that they are still selling RDRAM (PC800), is this what your looking for?

K

Sweet looks like it might work only problem with the memory set up is that the 1 and 2 slots must be the same as the 3 and 4 slot so either way I look at it my current ram has to go and the price or two 256meg RDRAM sticks is over half the price of the upgrade package of the MB chipset and 512megs ram. Actualy if I git 4 256megs it would be the same price as the upgrade.

I mistakenly though my ram was DDR ram and they had 256meg Kingston sticks for about $38.

Omnios
October 14th, 2005, 03:14 AM

K

Sweet looks like it might work only problem with the memory set up is that the 1 and 2 slots must be the same as the 3 and 4 slot so either way I look at it my current ram has to go and the price or two 256meg RDRAM sticks is over half the price of the upgrade package of the MB chipset and 512megs ram. Actualy if I git 4 256megs it would be the same price as the upgrade.

I mistakenly though my ram was DDR 400 ram and they had 256meg Kingston sticks for about $38.

WildTangent
October 14th, 2005, 04:42 AM
youre better off just getting an upgrade kit. an AMD kit would serve you well. these are the brands i trust: asus, gigabyte, abit and DFI

-Wild

Omnios
October 14th, 2005, 10:07 PM
K AMD sound real good but they dont have upgrade kits for it though they have a pretty basic box without monitor of a SEMPRON 64 with a Gigabyte K8VM800m mainboard socket 754. Yhe thing is that buying the box is a bit quite a bit more than the upgradde and Ill be stuck with 256megs ram. think I got the specs on the P4 its a 3200j 2048 cach 800 bus cpu on a Gigabyte 85661 FXM mboard, AGP, 3PCI, Vid, sound, Lan, and Sata. Im going to have to look into this 3pci thingy though as I have a tv card etc. Anyways I realy dont have the money for the AMD box and am going to have to look into this motherboard.

mstlyevil
October 14th, 2005, 10:19 PM
K AMD sound real good but they dont have upgrade kits for it though they have a pretty basic box without monitor of a SEMPRON 64 with a Gigabyte K8VM800m mainboard socket 754. Yhe thing is that buying the box is a bit quite a bit more than the upgradde and Ill be stuck with 256megs ram. think I got the specs on the P4 its a 3200j 2048 cach 800 bus cpu on a Gigabyte 85661 FXM mboard, AGP, 3PCI, Vid, sound, Lan, and Sata. Im going to have to look into this 3pci thingy though as I have a tv card etc. Anyways I realy dont have the money for the AMD box and am going to have to look into this motherboard.

Have you thought about buying online? You can get great deals by going through pricewatch.com.

Omnios
October 14th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Actualy buy online outside of Canada is out of the question as I don't have a credit card and being in Canada the duty and taxes would be prohibative its a lot less for a supplyer to import at there cost compared to ordering the parts or kits. Havent had a chance to crunch the numbers but ill have to do some serfing and have a long think about it.

Anyways this is the Link to the store its in Ontario Canada and the prices are Canadian which covers all dutys. Anyways do there prices seem on the up andd up.

http://www.computerwarehouse.ca/

Also they have warenty and support which is amazing. My first pc a P-2 that I bought from them was well supported. The tecki talked me through a reformat over the phone. The p-2 though very old is still running and all the parts held together.

WildTangent
October 14th, 2005, 11:45 PM
check out www.canadacomputers.com theyve got 6 locations, so theres bound to be one near you :P their prices are really cheap.

-Wild

Omnios
October 15th, 2005, 01:18 AM
Well I kind of made a decition after drooling over a pic of a ADM dual core 64 processor, I am going to wait till after christmas and see if the price drops as its not critical that I get a upgrade just yet. Now if I can keep my pocket sealed till then I should be ok.

Thanks WildTangent for the link its pretty intersting and helped me make up my mind for now.

I have a couple questions about ADM 64 and how things work such as how to run regular winxp on it if I chose to do so but probably won't. Either way theres going to be 2 computers with stricly Linux on them. And how long do you think it will take till all the 64 problems are sorted out?