PDA

View Full Version : The Mario Kart Wii Thread!

Mazza558
April 14th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Well, I just got the game and have been playing it a bit. I've completed all the 50cc cups now, and am up to the bikes-only 100cc. I haven't touched the online yet, but I'm sure it'll be great. Some observations:

-The Wii Wheel is a love-hate thing. One of my friends who got it before me loves it and prefers it to the normal controls. I have mixed feelings about it personally, as it's quite hard to swerve if you're gonna get hit by something. I prefer the gamecube controller - it seems more precise.

-The new tracks are bigger and longer than the GC ones, and they have a lot more going on. Lots more obstacles on the tracks in the later stages, which makes up for the somewhat widened tracks. There's some very cool ideas for obstacles, such as wobbling floors, ramps to do tricks on, etc. Overall, I prefer these to the GC tracks. The retro tracks are okay, but the GBA ones will bore you - they're very bland. The N64 tracks are nice to see. I'm glad they kept DK Mountain from the GC. It has a few tweaks from last time - there's ramps going down the mountain, and the area with the hairpin bend/chasm has been widened. The bridge is more dangerous now, because it tips if you go near the edge.

-50cc is very, very easy, but doesn't feel it at first. This is due to constant pressure when you're in first place. You rarely get further than 1/3rd of the track ahead of anyone else. I like this change, because it keeps you on your toes, and you can't breeze through the tracks to the point where they bore you.

-The items are as varied as before. The Pow! block causes everyone in front to slip and lose their items, but it appears too often. There's an ink-spraying thing (the name escapes me, but it's from Mario Sunshine and also appears in MKDS as an item. This thing covers part of the screen with ink for a few seconds, and I hate getting it when in first place - it's easy to fall off the edge. There's a mega mushroom which makes you huge and squash people - that's quite fun. The thundercloud is great. It shrinks the person ahead, but they can pass the shrinkage on to another player by touching them. You can get banana trails similar to the MK64 ones, and these are probably the most overpowered weapon to have in first place. There's only 3 bananas (MK64 had a trail of 5), but they appear very often (about a 1 in 3 chance for me). They can block 3 shells (one banana per shell), and even when you lose them (e.g from a blue shell or Pow! block), they still get dropped in a triangle formation. They act as great offense/defense.

MethodOne
April 14th, 2008, 05:01 PM
North America doesn't get the game until the 27th. I did preorder mine at GameStop.

Mazza558
April 14th, 2008, 05:08 PM
North America doesn't get the game until the 27th. I did preorder mine at GameStop.

Yeah, it's out already here in Europe, and Japan (I think). It's about time Europe got something from Nintendo before the US. We're usually last (after both the US and Japan). Now it's Australia's turn.

Darles
April 14th, 2008, 06:28 PM
This game is sweet.

I agree about the 50cc stages. They become really easy and you end up cruising round in 1st place until you get pounded from behind by loads of POW!

The competition option could be interesting if Nintendo hands out some prizes (Wii point for example for the winner)

I think it's a great game. Competing against you mates online is sweet as is the ability to compare results of the time trial and even try and be the worlds fastest on any given circuit.

I didn't even mention the ability to plug in various controllers from the classic controller to the gamecube to play 4 player.

It's great fun.

Mazza558
April 14th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Just playing through the 100cc and it's getting tough. I only just won the retro Star Cup (tied 1st place with Peach). I had a go on online and played 2 games (won one spectacularly, and lost one in a similar fashion). Great stuff.

Andrewie
April 14th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Is the online play better then Brawl?

Mazza558
April 14th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Is the online play better then Brawl?

I don't have brawl yet so can't compare. MK online is just normal multiplayer (12 players), where you have a score which increases if you get a high position, and decreases if it's low. You can vote for tracks too. The 3 online options are Worldwide, Continental and Friends. 2 people from the same console can play online in a bigger match together.

MemoryDump
April 14th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I have my copy on pre-order too! I can't wait to play this one! Huge MK fan :P

Andrewie
April 14th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I don't have brawl yet so can't compare. MK online is just normal multiplayer (12 players), where you have a score which increases if you get a high position, and decreases if it's low. You can vote for tracks too. The 3 online options are Worldwide, Continental and Friends. 2 people from the same console can play online in a bigger match together.

Thanks, that's about the same as brawl. Another quick question, do they have a dummy character that you can use your mii's for?

Mazza558
April 14th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks, that's about the same as brawl. Another quick question, do they have a dummy character that you can use your mii's for?

Yes, you unlock it fairly early on. Your Miis' faces also appear at various points randomly on some tracks (like on billboards).

Andrewie
April 14th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Yes, you unlock it fairly early on. Your Miis' faces also appear at various points randomly on some tracks (like on billboards).

I can race with my ugly miis now :):) thanks again

Mazza558
April 14th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I can race with my ugly miis now :):)

Heh, yeah. I was laughing for quite some time when I created a Mii with the WORST of everything - eyes where the mouth should be, the mouth covering the eyes, wrinkles, grey hair, etc - it looked like a fish in the end. I saw it up close, driving a car on one of the later tracks, and I started laughing again, skidding out of control (I mean, come on! How could he or it see where it was going with no eyes!)... I ended up 7th overall :(

The bad thing about Miis is that they're classed as heavy. If you prefer medium/light characters, you're out of luck.

Mazza558
April 14th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I just found something completely broken with one of the retro levels (well, it feels broken). It's the GBA or SNES bowser castle (probably GBA) - the bit with the gaps in the track (you jump between em) - you can perform a trick every time, giving you a long boost for about 7 seconds.

Polygon
April 15th, 2008, 10:59 AM
The thing im most excited about is snaking finally being removed from the game.Yay, now i can actually compete online without getting my *** handed to me every time by people who have more dexterous fingers then me.

Question:

Im really hoping that they have learned something from brawl and improved upon the online....I mean in brawl you cant communicate with ANYONE, you dont even get to see their username, and your username is limited to 5 characters? come on nintendo. Not to mention the lag at least for me on brawl is unacceptable.

and also, mario kart DS allowed you to have little user pictures that appeared over your kart. Not a mii, but it had an option to like create a picture using the ingame editor. does this game have that too?

soapytheclown
April 15th, 2008, 11:51 AM

oh dear i completed all the 50cc races with grade A's or stars and i still haven't got is :S:S

btw any idea why if i come first in every race sometimes ill be awarded an A grade for the grandprix yet sometimes ill get a star??

Mazza558
April 15th, 2008, 02:01 PM
The thing im most excited about is snaking finally being removed from the game.Yay, now i can actually compete online without getting my *** handed to me every time by people who have more dexterous fingers then me.

Question:

Im really hoping that they have learned something from brawl and improved upon the online....I mean in brawl you cant communicate with ANYONE, you dont even get to see their username, and your username is limited to 5 characters? come on nintendo. Not to mention the lag at least for me on brawl is unacceptable.

and also, mario kart DS allowed you to have little user pictures that appeared over your kart. Not a mii, but it had an option to like create a picture using the ingame editor. does this game have that too?

You see people's username and Mii face. No logos though. I'm not sure about talking to other people. The online is getting better and better - I've played a lot now and had no lag at all. The rank system is cool - you start at 5000 points, and this increases or decreases depending on your position at the end of the races. If you consistently come 1st, 2nd or 3rd on every race, your score will rise quickly (Mine's 5,900). On the other hand, losing lots of races will subtract from your score. As far as I know, the game tries to match people of similar scores.

Also, whether you get a star or a high grade depends on which position you were in for the majority of each race, and also the time it took you to complete the race.

Polygon
April 15th, 2008, 02:43 PM
damn, i was hoping for the logos. That added a bit of customization that was unheard of for nintendo games

Tom Mann
April 15th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Online in fantastic - really opens the perspective that if you feel the computer is cheating you it really isn't, as I get four shells from four different players in a row up my backside, dropping me from 2nd to last...

But really, great fun - using nunchuk method here, the wheel is fine but I keep forgetting to straighten it, a bit like my driving.

I downloaded a Mr T wii, now he seems to run me over every time at the coconut mall car park! Pity the fool!

If you see TGM on mario kart, please don't shoot me too much... :-D

3rdalbum
April 15th, 2008, 04:31 PM
The reason why there's no chatting and limited interaction with other players is because Nintendo is wary of "cyberbullying" (what normal people would call "Online bullying").

I'm looking forward to Mario Kart Wii - finally a game I can play online from my lounge room!

Mazza558
April 15th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Just a small tip I learnt from someone who had a score of 8,400 - do tricks at EVERY opportunity you get. Tricks give you a small boost every time you do them, so on tracks with lots of airtime, you can get through them substantially faster.

soapytheclown
April 15th, 2008, 04:41 PM
yeah ive been reading up on the various tricks that are possible cant wait to try them when i get home =D

Mazza558
April 15th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I wish all-cup tour was back... they could have done two - one for each set of tracks.

Polygon
April 16th, 2008, 07:32 AM
The reason why there's no chatting and limited interaction with other players is because Nintendo is wary of "cyberbullying" (what normal people would call "Online bullying").

I'm looking forward to Mario Kart Wii - finally a game I can play online from my lounge room!

Yes, but people who play video games are gonna have to learn how to deal with it sooner or later. Any pc game, and xbox 360 (dunno about ps3) all dont do this sorta stupid nannying with their games. I would be just grateful with an option to turn it on and off... I mean all i really want is to see the freaking persons username, maybe a bit of customization, maybe have the chance to see a central profile where i can add them as a buddy, message them. Xbox360 i believe does this quite well, why cant nintendo?

I mean come on. You have a wii 'friend code' which is a 9 digit or so number which is oh so easy to remember, then for every other online title you have to re add someone elses 9 digit number. which is different from your wii number, and people from your wii friends list dont transfer over.

I guess im just spoiled from computer games such as team fortress 2 where all of this stuff is just trivially easy.

Mazza558
April 16th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I've nearly unlocked all the characters and bikes now. There's a total of 26 from what I can see. I'm nearly up to Mirror Mode but 150cc's getting tough. The AI like to bomb you with a blue shell when you're inches from the finish line -.-

Mazza558
April 16th, 2008, 11:36 PM
I've finally unlocked Mirror Mode. Online is actually more satisfying and rewarding - as long as you finish within the top 50% of players for every race, which is easy compared to 150cc single player. It seems very easy once you know all the tracks well and know the best techniques.

robworth
April 24th, 2008, 11:45 AM
new onw to Mario Kart Wii but cant seem to find out how to unlock the new tracks... :

Courses
Unlockable How to Unlock
Leaf Cup
Win at least 3rd place in Banana Cup

so did that (ie got bronze cup) on 50, 100 and even 150cc single player GP modes but didnt work - does that mean I have to do something else or do I have to come at least 3rd in EACH RACE (rather than overall)......

newagelink
October 11th, 2008, 03:56 AM
They have too many "baby" characters ... it's getting annoying. Is the number on my "license" my friend code?

zmjjmz
October 11th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Oh man, I had it but then my sister cracked the CD D:.
It was fun while it lasted, although I never did enjoy the Wii steering wheel.

miggols99
October 11th, 2008, 09:31 AM
They have too many "baby" characters ... it's getting annoying. Is the number on my "license" my friend code?
Yes it is. I hope there won't be Mario Kart Babies or something :P

NintendoTogepi
October 11th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I'll probably get this for Christmas or something...

newagelink
October 12th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Why do they have to be so annoying with the voices? :( I just unlocked a specific "special character" that I've seen others using online, but it's almost ruined because of the obnoxious voice acting ... It's like how they ruined Link to the Past for the DS by making Link yell every single time he slices his sword or throws something. I don't understand it at all.

My friend code is 4897-8384-1423, by the way. Let's play.

newagelink
October 12th, 2008, 03:52 AM
new onw to Mario Kart Wii but cant seem to find out how to unlock the new tracks... :

Courses
Unlockable How to Unlock
Leaf Cup
Win at least 3rd place in Banana Cup

so did that (ie got bronze cup) on 50, 100 and even 150cc single player GP modes but didnt work - does that mean I have to do something else or do I have to come at least 3rd in EACH RACE (rather than overall)......What's your question ...?