PDA

View Full Version : Postal 2 on Wine

_GeekeD_
April 14th, 2008, 06:43 AM
I had Postal 2 working fine with the native linux demo but I don't have the official Linux Postal 2 disc so I had to install the windows version. I had a few errors dealing with drivers but I fixed those, but now my problem is a weird mouse error. The game cursor dosen't work right, the "desktop" cursor and the "game" cursor don't seem to match up. Is there a way to fix this? I'm hoping so as I love Postal.

Jive Turkey
April 14th, 2008, 06:47 AM
I never thought I'd encounter anyone else who would admit to playing that game. I had the full game for linux but I lost it. Sorry, I have no Idea how to help with your problem. Might it have to do with the setting in wine for keeping windowed direct x mouse inside the window?

_GeekeD_
April 14th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Its one of the best games ever, besides the mindless violence its not a bad game. Gas can + Moltives for the win!

Anways I checked the box that said " Allow DirectX apps to stop the mouses leaving their window ". It still gave me the same off centered mouse.

JohnSearle
April 14th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Its one of the best games ever, besides the mindless violence its not a bad game. Gas can + Moltives for the win!

I had played Postal (1) and I remember it being a game centred purely around mindless violence. There was little story, the graphics were below the standard at the time, and the AI was crappy. Overall, if you removed the violence and other disgusting elements (urinating in someones mouth, for instance), then there was no game.

How exactly does Postal 2 differ in that respect? What makes the game stand out beyond its big budget competitors? Is it superior in any respect, or simply another crappy shock game?

- John

_GeekeD_
April 14th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I had played Postal (1) and I remember it being a game centred purely around mindless violence. There was little story, the graphics were below the standard at the time, and the AI was crappy. Overall, if you removed the violence and other disgusting elements (urinating in someones mouth, for instance), then there was no game.

How exactly does Postal 2 differ in that respect? What makes the game stand out beyond its big budget competitors? Is it superior in any respect, or simply another crappy shock game?

- John

You make a great point, it basically isn't a game as more of a shock factor. It dosen't really stand out compared to games now because its so old but back in the day I don't see why it wasn't unique. How many games have you come across where you can completely dismember someone or light big trails of gas on fire with matches, grenades or moltives? Thats just my thought, hate it if ya want but it does what it needs to, gets the stress out after a long day of work.

To stay on topic, I have tried everything and researched it on google and it doesn't seem like anyone else has had this problem or a solution. I looked on the WineDB and it showed the list of compatabilities and this is one of the errors. But someone did manage to play it for 15-20 mins from what I saw, is there a way of contacting this person?

JohnSearle
April 14th, 2008, 10:55 AM
You make a great point, it basically isn't a game as more of a shock factor. It dosen't really stand out compared to games now because its so old but back in the day I don't see why it wasn't unique. How many games have you come across where you can completely dismember someone or light big trails of gas on fire with matches, grenades or moltives? Thats just my thought, hate it if ya want but it does what it needs to, gets the stress out after a long day of work.

I guess my issue is with that level of extreme violence, which I don't see as a necessary, or even desired, element of a good game. But I guess my tastes just differ.

To stay on topic, I have tried everything and researched it on google and it doesn't seem like anyone else has had this problem or a solution. I looked on the WineDB and it showed the list of compatabilities and this is one of the errors. But someone did manage to play it for 15-20 mins from what I saw, is there a way of contacting this person?

If you're looking to contact someone from the WineDB posts, then just start an account and click on their user name. It will bring up a send email form to contact them.

- John

_GeekeD_
April 15th, 2008, 04:42 AM
I don't care about violence, I mean its a game not the real world so it dosen't bother me as much.

Also thank you, I will have to check that out. If he hasn't been on in awhile then I might not be able to play Postal on my box :(

JohnSearle
April 15th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I don't care about violence, I mean its a game not the real world so it dosen't bother me as much.

Also thank you, I will have to check that out. If he hasn't been on in awhile then I might not be able to play Postal on my box :(

Well you could always leave a report of your own experiences, perhaps someone will reply to you. Unfortunately I have little experience with Wine :(

- John

mongrel boy
June 5th, 2009, 08:34 PM
im having the exact same problem trying to run postal 2 in wine. i can only move the mouse in a box area, ive never played it and im gutted because it sounds great to me! has anyone goten any further trying to fix this?

hikaricore
June 5th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Why don't you just download the linux binary and use it with your existing data files from the ***dows version?