PDA

View Full Version : Help get linux on Alienware PC's

wolfen69
April 14th, 2008, 06:38 AM
take the survey and let them know you want linux pre-installed as an option. the more the merrier. http://www.alienware.com/Surveys/AlienSurvey.aspx?Id=29607129825

toupeiro
April 14th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Done:

And I made my footnotes:

For question 6 when asked about if I would pay more:

It's costing you less in the long term to offer it. Community can assist in compatibility testing being Open Source. No contract agreements with OS vendor "required". In the end, I wouldn't need to pay more for it for you to profit from offering it.

and for additional comments:

A customers return on investment with an alienware system running linux is far greater than it would be running Windows, as linux requires less resources to function, therefore it gives more resources for the user to use. Most of all, Alienware is a well known name in computer hardware that means performance, scalability, customizable and elegance. There is no better suited Operating System for such a machine than Linux.

I've been on the cusp of buying an alienware system for years. They offer an open source OS on it, my next computer may be the first pre-built system I've owned since my 80386 Magnavox.

wannadumpwindows
April 14th, 2008, 07:53 AM
I did it too. Sounds like they're seriously considering it. Although I don't quite understand the price issue myself. I'm more than willing to accept delivery of an alienware for testing . . . . . . :lolflag:

Barrucadu
April 14th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I answered pretty much the same thing as you, toupeiro, about the price. I almost bought an alienware machine a few years ago. It was going to cost me over £1300. I recently built my perfect laptop on dell.co.uk, and it would cost me £438. I don't think I'll be buying an Alienware, just for the price, even if they do offer Linux.

madjr
April 14th, 2008, 08:42 AM
take the survey and let them know you want linux pre-installed as an option. the more the merrier. http://www.alienware.com/Surveys/AlienSurvey.aspx?Id=29607129825

it's great this are my answers if anyone is interested for questions 7 and 8.

7. What would be the primary applications of your Linux-based Alienware system?

gnome desktop
Compiz fusion
firefox
open office
VLC
wine
native games
codecs, flash, java pre-installed
linDVD
a media center like MythTV, elisa, etc.

latest versions of all the above.

-----------
8. Feel free to include additional comments about the possibility of Alienware Linux-based systems

No need to overcharge for linux support. The Ubuntu community takes care of that for free.

Linux Distro to use: Ubuntu or Ubuntu derivative (linuxmint, gOS, etc.)

should be attractive (nice theme, wallpaper, etc.) an example:
http://dev.thinkgos.com/

should use gnome desktop.

If you use splashtop motherboards would be great (linux integrated into the motherboard) .

Linux media centers preinstalled on special small living room PCs.

remember to get wifi and everything working out of the box.

would also be interested on dual-boot systems with both windows and ubuntu (free) pre-installed.

Let a person Choose the OS they want: Either Ubuntu, windows or both pre-installed.

Do not offer a linux section with just 1 or 2 choices. Let people choose in which PCs they want linux installed. Offer it as an ADD ON to all existing products as possible. It's a free product you can take advantage on.

bigbrovar
April 14th, 2008, 11:56 AM
yeah done .. anything to promote LInux

Lostincyberspace
April 14th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I said I would pay more just so they would be more likely to do it.

DeadSuperHero
April 14th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Done and done.
Ubuntu supported by Alienware?
AWESOME.

LaRoza
April 14th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I told them I wasn't interested, and they should offer the latest Windows OS. Linux is just for geeks, and Windows is the real OS for those serious about computers.

pedro_orange
April 14th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I run Ubuntu 7.10 on my old Alienware Sentina.
Runs really well.

Completed the questionaire as well.
Would be nice for support (Getting the integrated graphics performing was a nightmare)

SomeGuyDude
April 14th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Wait wait wait.

Isn't Alienware the overpriced brand that makes computers for gamers? What in the world would anyone who wants Linux be doing buying one of their machines?

mivo
April 14th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I filled it out, too, and actually, i'm currently looking for a good notebook that is fully compatible with Linux (and has a good video system). I did say that I would not pay extra for Linux, however, because really, it doesn't cost them any money. If anything, it should be cheaper. We don't do ourselves a favour if we claim we'd pay extra if we wouldn't. If they end up offering Linux systems that nobody buys, they certainly won't try again in the next decade.

LaRoza
April 14th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Wait wait wait.

Isn't Alienware the overpriced brand that makes computers for gamers? What in the world would anyone who wants Linux be doing buying one of their machines?

Yes, but they do have good hardware, and they are the best at not cluttering the OEM OS. In an article on OEM's and the Windows clutter, Alienware had nothing at all, not even an Alienware symbol.

LaRoza
April 14th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I filled it out, too, and actually, i'm currently looking for a good notebook that is fully compatible with Linux (and has a good video system). I did say that I would not pay extra for Linux, however, because really, it doesn't cost them any money. If anything, it should be cheaper. We don't do ourselves a favour if we claim we'd pay extra if we wouldn't. If they end up offering Linux systems that nobody buys, they certainly won't try again in the next decade.

Thinkpads with Intel hardware. Thinkpads were the first notebook to officially support Linux, and they come with it. Plus, they have the top ratings in many rankings.

notwen
April 14th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Considering Alienware is a subsidiary of Dell, I don't think it will take too long before Alienware begins to offer Linux on some systems. They may introduce Linux on their lower end machines(lol) to test the waters very similar to the way Dell introduced it's line of pre-installed Linux machines. If they do begin to offer systems w/ Linux they could consider a partnership w/ Cedega to keep their gaming aspect included w/ Linux systems until game devs support the Linux OS more. Not a bad idea, survey sent it. =]

kirsis
April 14th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I don't agree completely with the general sentiment that they should be necessarily cheaper. They do have to provide support, after all. That means hiring and training new people, since right now they probably got windows-only people.

As a company, I don't think they give (or should give) a flying toss for community support. Community support is a great thing, but a company like Alienware can not just rely on it and not provide support of their own.

It may very well cost them more (at least initially) to start providing linux laptops.

That said, I would be willing to pay for a quality high-end laptop that runs linux with no issues even if the price is the same or even more than that of a windows laptop.

Wait wait wait.

Why must Linux be used only on low-end laptops? Linux users have the same reasons for using a high end computer as windows users. They have even more reasons, in fact, as Games through wine require more processing power.

And also don't forget about software development. Games/graphics intensive apps are much likely to be made for Linux, if the programmers in question are running a fast, modern computer :)

Tundro Walker
April 14th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I told them I wasn't interested, and they should offer the latest Windows OS. Linux is just for geeks, and Windows is the real OS for those serious about computers.

:lolflag:

Wow. I can almost hear the WW2-style distant whistling of that bomb dropping... :)

OZFive
April 14th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I did one as well but as others have done I did comment on Question #6....

Your question #6 is a bit odd. When you build a system with Microsoft Windows insalled you have to pay Microsoft a fee to license that OS. Linux based OS's are free for anyone to download and install. If you do not have to pay a fee to a Linux developer, why would you charge more for a Linux based system? If I did find that you offered a Linux based system and were charging more than a Microsoft version I would choose a different computer manufacturer and install my preferred Linux (Ubuntu) myself.

Tundro Walker
April 14th, 2008, 04:19 PM
That said, I would be willing to pay for a quality high-end laptop that runs linux with no issues even if the price is the same or even more than that of a windows laptop.

Why don't you just buy one of their over-priced Windows laptops, and install Ubuntu on it yourself? Better, yet, dual-boot it with the Win/*buntu pairing.

I don't agree that they should charge more for offering Linux. The argument that they should get paid more to support Linux is hoaky, because folks don't call their hardware dealer when they're having problems with Windows ... they call Microsoft. Unless Alienware is handing out some kind of contract saying they'll provide the software support for whatever flavor of Linux is installed. But, they could just buy a service level agreement from Canonical and pass it to the user to let them deal with Canonical directly if they're having issues.

As for buying an over-priced system with Linux so you can play Windows games in Wine ... sheesh, just drop that extra cash on a used copy of Windows you can get from somebody over at CraigsList and dual-boot.

Alienware stuff is usually cutting edge, but comp's still depreciate so fast, you might as well wait 4 months and get the same thing for 2/3 price new, or half-price used.

Likewise, there are usually local computer builders that could build the same system for 2/3 the price to begin with.

Maybe my bias is showing, but I personally think Alienware is for the little kids with rich parents who are too lazy to learn how to build their own quality computers for less money. They just want to toss $2000 at Alienware to get some cutting-edge rig which depreciates to half price in 6 months. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. There seems to be a market, and it seems to keep Alienware in business. But the folks using Linux are usually more do-it-yourself types willing to learn and be a little more frugal (not cheap, frugal) in how they spend their money.

Foster Grant
April 14th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Or you can order it without any OS and save yourself $80 like this guy did (http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/alienware/). (There's an e-mail posted on that page from a guy who got Ubuntu 5.04 running the first time out, as well.

The guy who wrote that page installed Gentoo, which is hardware-optimized ... I bet it flies on an Area 51.

@Tundro: It's rare to find a local computer dealer who will build a laptop. Desktops? Sure.

You can build a laptop yourself with a barebook base, but the barebook alone costs as much as some complete laptops these days. By the time you start adding grfx card, HDD, wireless card and so on, you're getting into Alienware territory.

kirsis
April 14th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Why don't you just buy one of their over-priced Windows laptops, and install Ubuntu on it yourself? Better, yet, dual-boot it with the Win/*buntu pairing.

Heh, I guess I got what I deserved for trying to be open minded, eh?

I dont use windows at all. I also dont game at all. Either through wine or not. I use my computer for programming -and web browsing, so why don't you drop the condescending attitude? I was just suggesting reasons why people might want a high end laptop.

And are you really saying that people never call their computer vendor, when hardware just doesn't work? Baloney, maybe you never don't, but the majority certainly does. The average Joe who bought his computer at the store down the block feels much more justified asking them why his/her hardware isnt working, instead of calling Microsoft. Microsoft is completely behind-the-scenes to them, they'll turn to the people whom they personally dealt with.

Computer vendors need customer support, it's just how they work. No way in hell are they going to rely on community support.
(Also keep in mind Im not saying it should or will be more expensive. Im just saying that its not as black and white as saying "linux is free, so you're scumbags for not lowering your prices")

As for your question, why I don't just buy a high-end laptop and install Ubuntu myself, well... that's not always a bad idea, sure. However, there's always the chance of missing something and getting a laptop with some incompatible hardware. If Alienware ships Linux with their laptops, they'll make sure everything works and maybe even fix some stuff up, if it doesn't.

As for this:

As for buying an over-priced system with Linux so you can play Windows games in Wine

This applies for people for whom gaming is the main reason to use a computer, sure. It doesn't apply to people who don't mind games running on their laptop, even if their main reason for having Linux is something else (programming... or maybe they just like Linux better... or who don't want windows for ideological reasons).

Linux + Alienware is not a bad thing, even if you specifically don't want or like their "overpriced laptops".

Paqman
April 14th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Wait wait wait.

I thought the same. I can't see a lot of demand, really. Gamers are always going to have a dual-boot machine anyway, so what advantage is pre-installed Linux? A pre-installed dual-boot might be nice, I guess.

RevolutionMaster
April 14th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I'd pay extra IF it had DX9/10 just because it would make it insane.

SomeGuyDude
April 14th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Why must Linux be used only on low-end laptops? Linux users have the same reasons for using a high end computer as windows users. They have even more reasons, in fact, as Games through wine require more processing power.

And also don't forget about software development. Games/graphics intensive apps are much likely to be made for Linux, if the programmers in question are running a fast, modern computer :)

Because the allure of Linux is that you don't need a lot of beef to the machine. You can get a lot of performance out of not much hardware (I have no plans for a new laptop because, frankly, I don't NEED it).

And are you kidding? Games through Wine? C'mon, how many top end games are playable through Wine? The answer is: not nearly enough to necessitate buying a gaming machine. For that matter, can any of the games that need a machine like Alienware's top end play through wine?

Furthermore, if you need MORE proc power to run a game through wine, are you saving any money by buying a machine with extra "oomph" instead of just using windows?

Foster Grant
April 14th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I remember when the goal was to get Linux as an installed option from every computer manufacturer.

Now we only want Linux preinstalled from low-end manufacturers? We have regressed.

AFAIC,the goal is still to get Linux as an installed opetion from every computer manufacturer. That is the only way to mass acceptance. I leave the "more-geek-than-thou" open source snobbery to RMS,

SomeGuyDude
April 14th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I remember when the goal was to get Linux as an installed option from every computer manufacturer.

Now we only want Linux preinstalled from low-end manufacturers? We have regressed.

AFAIC,the goal is still to get Linux as an installed opetion from every computer manufacturer. That is the only way to mass acceptance. I leave the "more-geek-than-thou" open source snobbery to RMS,

Sure we want it, but I think pressuring Alienware of all companies is kinda stupid at this point. Rather, we SHOULD work in from the low end. Look at the Linux PC that Wal-Mart sold, it went crazy.

Strategically we want to build a base, and that's NOT the high-end line because they probably don't care about "free" on their OS and without game support they're hosed. Explaining to a gamer that they should install Linux and then emulate Windows to game is not going to help.

So what's our solution? Build our base from the bottom up. Go after the low-end. Linux runs fantastically on low-end machines, so market the fact that a $500 notebook running Linux is as fast and smooth as a $900 one with Windows.

Eventually the Linux base will grow enough that software manufacturers will take notice. That means more native support for Linux in things like, say, games.

And once games are made for Linux, THEN we can fight for Alienware to include it by default.

Ya dig?

blithen
April 14th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Not to be a downer (This would be a great thing if it happened) But alienware is a gaming computer. Nothing else. So why would you put Linux(Which has no mainstream games for it) on a gaming computer?

SomeGuyDude
April 14th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Not to be a downer (This would be a great thing if it happened) But alienware is a gaming computer. Nothing else. So why would you put Linux(Which has no mainstream games for it) on a gaming computer?

Read my last few posts. I'm tackling that very issue. :lolflag:

yatt
April 14th, 2008, 11:59 PM
I did one as well but as others have done I did comment on Question #6....This was discussed in the Dell thread way back when but it probably doesn't cost Alienware any money to put Windows on a laptop. For companies like Dell that like to bloatware (I'm not sure how much Alienware does), they make money because the money they get for installing the bloat is more than what they pay for Windows (which is only about $20).

EDIT: As for my comments section, I put that I probably wouldn't be in the market for a while since I just bought a Dell specifically since they began offering Linux. I also said that since Dell's Linux offerings sucked so bad, I bought a Windows laptop and refunded the OS since I wanted to support the company. I also mentioned that I would pay extra for pre-installed Cedega.

saru411
April 15th, 2008, 12:10 AM
I agree that Alienware is a Gaming computer company. I do not see the point in having a top of the line gaming rig running Linux/Ubuntu if it cann't run the games that it was designed for. Linux on Alienware just sounds silly.

Foster Grant
April 15th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Sure we want it, but I think pressuring Alienware of all companies is kinda stupid at this point. Rather, we SHOULD work in from the low end. Look at the Linux PC that Wal-Mart sold, it went crazy.

Strategically we want to build a base, and that's NOT the high-end line because they probably don't care about "free" on their OS and without game support they're hosed. Explaining to a gamer that they should install Linux and then emulate Windows to game is not going to help.

So what's our solution? Build our base from the bottom up. Go after the low-end. Linux runs fantastically on low-end machines, so market the fact that a $500 notebook running Linux is as fast and smooth as a $900 one with Windows.

Eventually the Linux base will grow enough that software manufacturers will take notice. That means more native support for Linux in things like, say, games.

And once games are made for Linux, THEN we can fight for Alienware to include it by default.

Ya dig?

No, I don't dig.

If a $500 notebook running Linux is as fast as a $900 notebook running Windows, then what happens when you put Linux on the $900 notebook? :)

As has been noted, Alienware is Dell. Tux's beak is already poking inside the tent there. Given time, I could see Ubuntu, Kubuntu or Mediubuntu as a preinstall option on Alienware.

When you talk about the gOS PC, are you talking about the one that's no longer offered in stores because in-store buyers preferred Windows? That went over well online with geeks, but it's time to break into the mainstream market.

That "eventually the Linux base will grow" schtuff is the drum certain people have been thumping for over a decade now. How much longer do I have to wait for "eventually" to be "now?" I want to see penguins everywhere.

Linux is right for all x86 hardware, not just the bottom end. It would not do the movement any favors to ignore the top end of the market by saying "Well, they have enough computing power to run Windows." They also have enough computing power to run Linux with all the option checkboxes filled in. Give gamers at the top end a Linux option that can run their favorite Windows games — offer it with with Crossover Games as a preinstallable option since Cedega is a failed offering — and we can start eating away at the top end, as well.

Take advantage of whatever opportunity exists, not just the ones you find acceptable.

Foster Grant
April 15th, 2008, 12:19 AM

It's also a video rendering computer. It's also a photo editing computer.

Now, an Xbox 360 or a PS3 or a Wii ... those are gaming computers. They exist only to play games.

An Alienware computer (or similar) can be whatever you want it to be, thanks to the computing horsepower under the hood.

mivo
April 15th, 2008, 12:51 AM
I agree that Alienware is a Gaming computer company. I do not see the point in having a top of the line gaming rig running Linux/Ubuntu if it cann't run the games that it was designed for. Linux on Alienware just sounds silly.

Well, ID Software's games have native Linux clients, and Savage 2 even has a 64-bit Linux client. Then there are the Ankh games and X3 - Reunion. All games that need gaming hardware, and seeing that I put 300 hours into Quake Wars alone, I don't think it's silly at all to want/buy/build a gaming rig even if you only use Linux. Gaming hardware tends to be excellent for many other computing areas as well.

SomeGuyDude
April 15th, 2008, 01:03 AM
No, I don't dig.

If a $500 notebook running Linux is as fast as a $900 notebook running Windows, then what happens when you put Linux on the $900 notebook? :)

But who's buying the expensive machines? Gamers, heavy video/photo/audio editors. Are there any native apps for Linux that will cater to their needs? Not yet. As noted, it takes even more power to get those working through Wine, and that's only on stuff that WORKS with Wine. Imagine their dismay when they spent an extra $300 to get the oomph needed to run their fancy-dancy apps through Linux only to find out they need to run Windows through a Virtual Machine anyway.

We often complain about a lack of Linux software, and the ONLY way to get it there is to build the base of users, not wait for the software and then assume the users will come flocking. The way to BUILD that base is to flood the homes of those who don't need that much proprietary software, just email, messaging, and browsing. That's the low end. Once developers see all the people using Linux, they'll begin to try and make money from them and boom we've got software.

That "eventually the Linux base will grow" schtuff is the drum certain people have been thumping for over a decade now. How much longer do I have to wait for "eventually" to be "now?" I want to see penguins everywhere.

That's what I'm getting at, my man. In order to MAKE that base grow we need to find out where that base will come from. Without the software, the only place to push for Linux is where FOSS is getting the job done and currently that's not the top-level.

Linux is right for all x86 hardware, not just the bottom end. It would not do the movement any favors to ignore the top end of the market by saying "Well, they have enough computing power to run Windows." They also have enough computing power to run Linux with all the option checkboxes filled in. Give gamers at the top end a Linux option that can run their favorite Windows games — offer it with with Crossover Games as a preinstallable option since Cedega is a failed offering — and we can start eating away at the top end, as well.

Take advantage of whatever opportunity exists, not just the ones you find acceptable.

I don't think you're paying attention to me. I'm looking at this strategically, not ideally.

The problem is that we're trying to get gamers on Linux PCs on the basis that they can emulate Windows. That's getting us nowhere. What we need is to make it so the developers make it run natively in Linux because let me tell you, I've talked to enough gamers to know that they'll just laugh at you if you say they should use Linux because you can find ways to make Windows games work on it. The reason? "Well if I need to emulate Windows, I'll just use Windows."

Instead of trying to get Alienware, a rather niche brand, to put Linux on their machines, go after HP/Toshiba/Acer/Gateway/IBM. Try to get PCs with Linux to show up in Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, and Staples stores. THEN, make them a good price, otherwise people will go with "the devil they know", as it were.

What is Linux's big selling point to the average person? Freedom. Money-saving. The OS is free, upgrades are free forever, and there's tons of great free software. OBVIOUSLY this means we're catering to the not-top-of-the-line crowd. Someone who's about to spend $3500 on a PC hardly gives a damn if the OS is free and probably won't notice a huge performance change, and if they have to emulate Windows to run their software they're going to just stick with Windows because the other "perks" are moot for them.

mivo
April 15th, 2008, 01:15 AM
But who's buying the expensive machines? Gamers, heavy video/photo/audio editors. Are there any native apps for Linux that will cater to their needs?

Of course there are. Look at Ubuntu Studio, for example, and what software comes with it. And I listed native Linux games that need the power. Sure, there are fewer games than for Windows, but they are games that you won't play for just ten hours and then buy the next. Linux gamers are, by necessity, more dedicated. You can't play Quake Wars on an office computer.

SomeGuyDude
April 15th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Of course there are. Look at Ubuntu Studio, for example, and what software comes with it. And I listed native Linux games that need the power. Sure, there are fewer games than for Windows, but they are games that you won't play for just ten hours and then buy the next. Linux gamers are, by necessity, more dedicated. You can't play Quake Wars on an office computer.

And that's why the strategy won't work. Linux gamers are people who, by NECESSITY, are dedicated. You're not going to just up and convert people who plunk $3000+ on a computer with talk of few games and emulation.

Work from the ground up and wrangle the devs in, don't blow your load aiming for the moon when all you've got is a catapult.

mivo
April 15th, 2008, 01:37 AM
There is no strategy, though, as it is not about getting new Linux users. If I buy a new machine, I'll buy one that is suited for my purpose. if I want a power-house, I'll buy a gaming computer. I don't build my own computers, I usually have someone build it for me (too worried about messing it up -- I was sweating blood and water when I installed this monstrosity of Zalman CPU cooler). I would have bought an already built Linux gaming machine, if they had existed when I got a new desktop last year. In the end, paying $200 more (vs. buying individual components) would be worth it to me. (Or rather, not having to stress or worry would be worth the money.)

It wouldn't be for people who want to change platforms.

madjr
April 15th, 2008, 02:13 AM

thats the mentality that won't get Linux anywhere as it's now.

this the same old mentality that keeps linux only on the servers and for the geeks..

like i said before the solution is:

"Let a person Choose the OS they want: Either Ubuntu, windows or both pre-installed.

Do not offer a linux section with just 1 or 2 choices. Let people choose in which PCs they want linux installed. Offer it as an ADD ON to all existing products as possible. It's a free product you can take advantage on. "

This is also what everyone is asking DELL to do:
http://www.ideastorm.com/article/show/72962/Put_Ubuntu_on_the_list_of_operating_systems_when_b uilding_a_PC

http://www.ideastorm.com/article/show/73206/Make_Linux_and_no_Operating_system_standard_option s_on_all_future_products

i don't want a Goddam geek section at either DELL.com or Alienware, i want the dam thing everywhere i look just like windows is.

I want choice and Ubuntu is as free as Adobe acrobat reader or flash, so they must let the costumer choose thet OS's they want.

The options must be:

Ubuntu,
windows,
both or
none pre-installed

BluntBox
April 15th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Totally agree with SomeGuyDude. Of all the markets to try and push Ubuntu into, a niche like Alienware customers are pretty much the last in my opinion.

Ubuntu is freaking awesome, don't get me wrong. But there are some expectations that people buying this type of machine would have, that it simply can't meet.

I'm all for people having the choice of what OS to have installed (if any) at the time of purchase. In my opinion, in this instance it just doesn't make much sense. Unless customers are properly informed about the limitations / effects that choosing the free OS on the order form will have, it can only lead to bad press for both Alienware and Ubuntu. And I doubt that attaching disclaimers about compatibility and performance issues if you wish to run certain software (which will be expected by most) makes for good marketing.

madjr
April 15th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Totally agree with SomeGuyDude. Of all the markets to try and push Ubuntu into, a niche like Alienware customers are pretty much the last in my opinion.

Ubuntu is freaking awesome, don't get me wrong. But there are some expectations that people buying this type of machine would have, that it simply can't meet.

I'm all for people having the choice of what OS to have installed (if any) at the time of purchase. In my opinion, in this instance it just doesn't make much sense. Unless customers are properly informed about the limitations / effects that choosing the free OS on the order form will have, it can only lead to bad press for both Alienware and Ubuntu. And I doubt that attaching disclaimers about compatibility and performance issues if you wish to run certain software (which will be expected by most) makes for good marketing.

installing Ubuntu as an free addon for people who choose it in the OS options in those systems is not going to hurt anyone, in fact it may increase sales.

They should avoid creating a geek section.

thats why i voted for this
http://www.ideastorm.com/article/show/72962/Put_Ubuntu_on_the_list_of_operating_systems_when_b uilding_a_PC

Embeded linux in the motherboards would also be a plus.

Not everyone buys an alienware just to game. Many buy it because of the quality and because it looks good.

Linux is also great as a Media Center

More options is always better, not worse.

Linux should be everywhere, plain and simple. Leave the "geek and server" mentality for yourselves.

LaRoza
April 15th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Why is there such discussion?

Regardless of whether you would buy an Alienware systems with Linux, supporting OEM installations of Linux is good, or rather, supporting choices for the consumer is good.

madjr
April 15th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Why is there such discussion?

Regardless of whether you would buy an Alienware systems with Linux, supporting OEM installations of Linux is good, or rather, supporting choices for the consumer is good.

exactly.

i don't know why some people here want to keep linux just for geeks and servers...

these "geek sections" for hardware vendors should be avoided at all costs

if the linux eeePC was marketed as a geek device no one but a few geeks would had cared to buy one in the fist place.

I don't want a special hidden geek section like DELL did. I want it part of the software list of most of their models. I want options and the choice to customize my purchase.

SteveNorman
April 15th, 2008, 05:41 AM
I told them I would pay more if it came with commercial support, or if it dual boots with XP. I think the implication that all the hardware has to work with the OS is a given.

kirsis
April 15th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Because the allure of Linux is that you don't need a lot of beef to the machine. You can get a lot of performance out of not much hardware (I have no plans for a new laptop because, frankly, I don't NEED it).

Fair enough. However, just because Linux runs well on low-end hardware doesn't mean it should stay there exclusively. Judging by your next reply, I take it you agree and just think it should start expanding from the bottom.

Also don't forget that Linux works well on "beefless" machines because it's just so damn configurable. You can strip down and out all the bells and whistles. Normal non-stripped Linux with Gnome/KDE is not a whole deal faster than Windows XP. In fact, it is very easy to have Linux be the slower system (due to performance intensive gtk themes, huge vector icons, bad drivers, compiz, etc.)

And are you kidding? Games through Wine? C'mon, how many top end games are playable through Wine? The answer is: not nearly enough to necessitate buying a gaming machine. For that matter, can any of the games that need a machine like Alienware's top end play through wine?

Furthermore, if you need MORE proc power to run a game through wine, are you saving any money by buying a machine with extra "oomph" instead of just using windows?

No, I'm not kidding, however I will not insist on this point on account of not being a gamer and not being on top of things at the gaming front. However, you're approaching this issue as if the only reason to switch to Linux was the price. There are a lot more pro-linux reasons than just price. Combine this with a desire to game and maybe some people would rather shell out a few bucks and play relatively new games (but not the latest) through wine than use Windows.

Anyway, at the rate this thread is going, I probably wont be able to keep up with it, so feel free not to reply. I just wanted to reply to you before I butt out. At the end of the day, as long as you agree Linux should spread to as many systems as possible (which is the impression I got), we're only arguing about petty details and agreeing on the core issue.

kamaboko
April 15th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Alienware computers are overpriced and generally of low quality. I've worked with too many of them. Alienware + Linux = bad idea.

madjr
April 15th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Alienware computers are overpriced and generally of low quality. I've worked with too many of them. Alienware + Linux = bad idea.

totally not true.

even if 1 proyect fails another will subtitute it. Big fuzz and press is what matters first.

gPCs with linux are not sold anymore, but they created a low cost niche and now the KPC is substituting it by offering and even better solution for about the same price.

also, DELL may fail to earn much with their linux experiment, but others have already started to offer linux PCs (lenovo and HP) thanks to all the press DELL and Ubuntu got.

At 1 point linux will be mainstream, but that won't happen unless it comes pre-installed and is highly visible on vendors websites (not hidden in geek sections)

Let people choose in which PCs they want linux installed. Offer it as an ADD ON to all existing products as possible. It's a free product you can take advantage on.

similar to what people are asking of DELL of using a special hidden geek section and make linux universal on any product i choose.
http://www.ideastorm.com/article/show/73206/Make_Linux_and_no_Operating_system_standard_option s_on_all_future_products