PDA

View Full Version : no whining about wine...

morellib
April 14th, 2008, 05:52 AM
I'm not entirely sure this is the correct thread for this, but I thought I'd have a go at it since the program I'm working with has to be used through wine.

I've been trying, desperately, to back up one of my DVD's. I've never had a problem with this in the past when I used windows - and I'm much happier now with Ubuntu - but I can't imagine this would be the one thing I can't do?

I have tried for over a week with k9copy - it provided me with 10 unplayable DVD's. (playable on my laptop which runs Ubuntu, but not playable on any standard DVD player - new or old). I went through practically every thread I could find, did every tweak that was suggested and I was still unable to produce something that would play in a standard DVD player.

After that I went around and read that DVD Shrink could be used quite easily in conjunction with a program called DVD Decrypter (which I had never used). DVD Shrink I knew from windows. I used it with nero and was able to quite easily back my DVD's up.

I attempted to use this DVD Decrypter and it has given me error after error when I've attempted to use it to burn the iso after DVD Shrink would create it for me. I used gnomebaker and the disc would not play at all.

I'm running gutsy and I promise I've looked into this every way I could before seeking help. If there's anyone that has any suggestions at all, or knows where I should've posted this please let me know. Thanks!

chewearn
April 14th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Let me ask a simple question to get it out of the way. Forgive me if you already answered it.

Have you consider whether is might be the physical disc format you are using? Are you using DVD-R or DVD+R? If you are using one format, have you tried the other? Or tried with a DVD-RW or DVD+RW?

Perhaps, the standard DVD player might not be able to read the disc type you are using now.

morellib
April 14th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I have tried both - and + and my DVD players read -. I have other dvd's that I had made as well, same brand of disc and all, that I had used to burn with windows.

I don't know if it makes a difference at all but here are the specs for the DVD-R's that I'm using:

Sony DVD-R
120 min / 4.7 GB
AccuCORE technology (??)

ScorpKing
April 14th, 2008, 06:19 PM
If you can play the DVD's on your linux box but not on anything else I would think the format is wrong. A DVD will have AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folder on them. It could be that the DVD's are not created properly. A few other linux programs that you can try is Thoggen, DeVeDe or AcidRip. My guess is the format is wrong.

chewearn
April 15th, 2008, 03:30 AM
If you can play the DVD's on your linux box but not on anything else I would think the format is wrong. A DVD will have AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folder on them. It could be that the DVD's are not created properly. A few other linux programs that you can try is Thoggen, DeVeDe or AcidRip. My guess is the format is wrong.

If you read the OP first post, he did say he is copying a DVD. The disc content should not be changed in anyway for a one-to-one disc copy.

chewearn
April 15th, 2008, 03:31 AM
I have tried both - and + and my DVD players read -. I have other dvd's that I had made as well, same brand of disc and all, that I had used to burn with windows.

I don't know if it makes a difference at all but here are the specs for the DVD-R's that I'm using:

Sony DVD-R
120 min / 4.7 GB
AccuCORE technology (??)

I suggest you try other program to copy the discs. I usually use k3b.

morellib
April 15th, 2008, 06:54 AM
After downloading k3b it gave me the same results that the original ubuntu burner (the one that came with ubuntu that I don't know the name of...), and gnomebaker gave me. I don't understand it, this computer, this very burner has produced working dvds in the past when I used nero to burn them (when I had windows), but not a single one will provide me a dvd that will play in any standard player...

Am I maybe missing some kind of driver or codec that would allow me the ability to create a dvd playable on anything?

Hairy_Palms
April 15th, 2008, 10:34 AM
well one thing you could try is Nero under linux

http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-linux3-trial.php

Spydr4590
April 15th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I've been down this road before. A few problems could be Memory (RAM) going bad, your dvd burner going bad, or the dvds you bought are bad. I had to test everything and I finally found out my dvd burner went bad. Basically you'll need to do a process of elimination before you find what's wrong. It can be tedious and frustrating.

Also note if you installed Ubuntu from a badly burned dvd/cd. That could be causing the problems too, which would have been a result from the above problems.